Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant get a New IP Adress on a Dynamic set up

Options
  • 19-04-2016 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi, To cut a long story short:

My IP wont change, its been the same for well over a year. Its a dynamic IP, only due to a shortage of IPs by Eir, every time i recycle my router it keeps giving me the same IP address.

I have contacted phone support 3 or 4 times over the last 6 months, none of them really got the bottom of it, only the last guy, he was a bit more informative. He says there may be a shortage of IPs, so if i want a new IP i must keep turning off my router every single night when going to sleep and turn it on the next morning, and to do this every night, and eventually i will get a new IP.

But the thing is, that doesnt work either. I have dynamic thats acting like a static due to a shortage of IPs by Eir, I need this resolved as soon as possible, or i may end up going with an ISP that can actually supply Dynamic IPs.

Can anyone here resovle this or give me an in depth explanation as to why im on a dynamic IP address thats doesnt change ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Do you have TV from Eir?

If not you can change your modem to use PPPoE and use a much bigger IP pool than the local one used for eFiber. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

My IP wont change, its been the same for well over a year. Its a dynamic IP, only due to a shortage of IPs by Eir, every time i recycle my router it keeps giving me the same IP address.

I have contacted phone support 3 or 4 times over the last 6 months, none of them really got the bottom of it, only the last guy, he was a bit more informative. He says there may be a shortage of IPs, so if i want a new IP i must keep turning off my router every single night when going to sleep and turn it on the next morning, and to do this every night, and eventually i will get a new IP.

But the thing is, that doesnt work either. I have dynamic thats acting like a static due to a shortage of IPs by Eir, I need this resolved as soon as possible, or i may end up going with an ISP that can actually supply Dynamic IPs.

Can anyone here resovle this or give me an in depth explanation as to why im on a dynamic IP address thats doesnt change ?
    Hi Plastic_Life,

Thanks for getting in touch.
    Can you PM me your account number and I'll take a look into this.

-Pamela 

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Plastic_Life

ED E wrote: »
    Do you have TV from Eir?

If not you can change your modem to use PPPoE and use a much bigger IP pool than the local one used for eFiber. 
    Hi, thanks for the suggestion,i don't have TV from Eir, only fibre. do you know how to do this on a Thompson TG799vn. i have 2 routers, i have a fibre cable running from the front door, that connects to a HUAWEI WAN router, then that rouer connects to the TG799vn router, chap on the phone said this might be a reason as to why it keeps giving the same IP.

-Pamela 
    I sent this yesterday after you asked for it. 

-Pamela 
    I sent this yesterday after you asked for it. 
    Thanks  Plastic_Life,

I have queried this with the eircom.net team I'm just waiting on them to get back to me.

-Pamela 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's unlikely to be anything to do with a "shortage" of IPs unless they have been deliberately assigning IP addresses to devices to avoid starvation. Which sounds unlikely to me, tbh.

The main reason why you may keep receiving the same IP is because this behaviour is by design.

The process which assigns dynamic IPs has a number of steps between the router and the server in terms of requesting an IP, having it assigned, and then periodically refreshing to confirm that you still need the IP.

Each IP has a lease period, which is the length of time the server will not give that IP address to another device. While you are using this IP address, your router will "renew" the lease with the server once half of the lease period has expired. So if you leave your device on permanently, your "dynamic" IP address will not change unless the person in control of the IP pool has flagged your IP as one that should not be renewed.

When you reboot a device or force it to manually renew, one key part of the process is that the device rather than saying, "Please assign me a new IP address", says, "I would like to renew the lease for IP 1.2.3.4". If this IP address hasn't been given to another device, then your device will be given the lease.

Even if your device does say, "Please assign me a new address", if there is still an active lease on the server for your device, the server will give you back that same IP Address and renew the lease.

Really the most effective way to change a dynamic IP address is find out when the lease for your device expires (for ISPs it's usually 24 hours, but may be 7 days or more) and turn your device off and leave it off until the lease has expired. The eircom tech is not wrong when he says that if you turn it off every night and back on the next day, "eventually" you will get a new address.

Even then though, if the IP address pool is small or hasn't many addresses left, you may still get the same IP address assigned to you.

Why so adamant that you need a different IP? Been banned from something?

You should be able to find an Irish-based transparent proxy that you can route all your traffic through to change your IP.

seamus wrote: »
    It's unlikely to be anything to do with a "shortage" of IPs unless they have been deliberately assigning IP addresses to devices to avoid starvation. Which sounds unlikely to me, tbh.

The main reason why you may keep receiving the same IP is because this behaviour is by design.

The process which assigns dynamic IPs has a number of steps between the router and the server in terms of requesting an IP, having it assigned, and then periodically refreshing to confirm that you still need the IP.

Each IP has a lease period, which is the length of time the server will not give that IP address to another device. While you are using this IP address, your router will "renew" the lease with the server once half of the lease period has expired. So if you leave your device on permanently, your "dynamic" IP address will not change unless the person in control of the IP pool has flagged your IP as one that should not be renewed.

When you reboot a device or force it to manually renew, one key part of the process is that the device rather than saying, "Please assign me a new IP address", says, "I would like to renew the lease for IP 1.2.3.4". If this IP address hasn't been given to another device, then your device will be given the lease.

Even if your device does say, "Please assign me a new address", if there is still an active lease on the server for your device, the server will give you back that same IP Address and renew the lease.

Really the most effective way to change a dynamic IP address is find out when the lease for your device expires (for ISPs it's usually 24 hours, but may be 7 days or more) and turn your device off and leave it off until the lease has expired. The eircom tech is not wrong when he says that if you turn it off every night and back on the next day, "eventually" you will get a new address.

Even then though, if the IP address pool is small or hasn't many addresses left, you may still get the same IP address assigned to you.

You should be able to find an Irish-based transparent proxy that you can route all your traffic through to change your IP.
    Thanks  seamus,

-Pamela 

Thanks Seamus for the explanation, i guess that solves that then, and so now i know re-cycling my router is a pointless exercise unless i do it for 24 hours, as Pameala messages me aswell.

So basically i play a well known call of duty game and ive been booted offline on xbox live by the same person 3 times since Christmas. On xmas eve it was for 12 hours, and the other time 1 to 3 hours. he sent me a message the first time saying "good luck getting back on with that eircom static". even tough it says its a dynamic on myip.com.

I try my best to avoid these kinda people put it just happens, i have no control who comes into the game lobbies. ive been booted again the last month aswell, by a couple of different people for 10 to 15 minutes, its just so annoying.

ive rented a VPN before and put my xbox into my laptop, but i need a good ping to play good, my eir connection is 6 to 10ms, on a vpn from holland it was 90ms, the lag was unbearable,i  dont want to have to pay for a vpn monthly for the sake of some little kid with a booter, and then play really badly aswell, all just to stop being booted.

Thanks.

You're not quite on the mark there. For NGA IP blocks are assigned to each mux to lease to their child DSLAMs in the cabs locally. This means you have many small pools of addresses vs the large 8-10 national RAS pools that predate them. In bigger areas you'll have 800-1200 lines and IPs assigned but in smaller areas it could be 60 eir retail lines and 62 usable. Its not automatic so IP starvation is possible. Vodafone will be transitioning to this model for the TV product but Sky don't need to. 

Leases are sticky but the mux appears to drop them after about 4hrs of a timeout. If your block is small though the chances of a neighbor releasing in the same period is low.

Fortunately, PPPoE leases expire when the connection is closer or breaks down.
    Thanks Seamus for the explanation, i guess that solves that then, and so now i know re-cycling my router is a pointless exercise unless i do it for 24 hours, as Pameala messages me aswell.

So basically i play a well known call of duty game and ive been booted offline on xbox live by the same person 3 times since Christmas. On xmas eve it was for 12 hours, and the other time 1 to 3 hours. he sent me a message the first time saying "good luck getting back on with that eircom static". even tough it says its a dynamic on myip.com.

I try my best to avoid these kinda people put it just happens, i have no control who comes into the game lobbies. ive been booted again the last month aswell, by a couple of different people for 10 to 15 minutes, its just so annoying.

ive rented a VPN before and put my xbox into my laptop, but i need a good ping to play good, my eir connection is 6 to 10ms, on a vpn from holland it was 90ms, the lag was unbearable,i  dont want to have to pay for a vpn monthly for the sake of some little kid with a booter, and then play really badly aswell, all just to stop being booted.

Thanks.
    Yours is the one legitimate reason to need it really, mostly its gamblers who want to use multiple accounts.

Is your setup:
    HG659 bridged
    Thompson routing
      OR
    HG659 routing
    Thompson as AP/Switch? 

Whoever configured it anyway should be able to change the WAN from IPoE to PPPoE(eircom@eircom.net, broadband1, 8/35) and boom every reboot it'll have a new address.

You're not quite on the mark there. For NGA IP blocks are assigned to each mux to lease to their child DSLAMs in the cabs locally. This means you have many small pools of addresses vs the large 8-10 national RAS pools that predate them. In bigger areas you'll have 800-1200 lines and IPs assigned but in smaller areas it could be 60 eir retail lines and 62 usable. Its not automatic so IP starvation is possible. Vodafone will be transitioning to this model for the TV product but Sky don't need to. 

Leases are sticky but the mux appears to drop them after about 4hrs of a timeout. If your block is small though the chances of a neighbor releasing in the same period is low.

Fortunately, PPPoE leases expire when the connection is closer or breaks down.

So basically i play a well known call of duty game and ive been booted offline on xbox live by the same person 3 times since Christmas. On xmas eve it was for 12 hours, and the other time 1 to 3 hours. he sent me a message the first time saying "good luck getting back on with that eircom static". even tough it says its a dynamic on

Thanks.
    Yours is the one legitimate reason to need it really, mostly its gamblers who want to use multiple accounts.

Is your setup:
    HG659 bridged
    Thompson routing
      OR
    HG659 routing
    Thompson as AP/Switch? 

Whoever configured it anyway should be able to change the WAN from IPoE to PPPoE(, broadband1, 8/35) and boom every reboot it'll have a new address.
    Im not sure. all i know is i have a yellow fibre cable going into a HUAWEI EchoLife HG8010 and from that, a WAN cable going into a Thompson TG799vn, which i plug my xbox into.

I can log into the Thompson TG799vn router, i have the address bookmarked, but never got a manual or anything with the HUAWEI. so im a bit lost ?

• Advertisement

Oh, you're on FTTH. Ahh. 

With GPON I'm pretty sure the IP is being leased by the MAC of the OLT. PPPoE might work but I'm skeptical, and in that case your IP won't change. This is due to the nature that your sharing the same cable with other users so they have to identify you by the device. 

Oh, you're on FTTH. Ahh. 

With GPON I'm pretty sure the IP is being leased by the MAC of the OLT. PPPoE might work but I'm skeptical, and in that case your IP won't change. This is due to the nature that your sharing the same cable with other users so they have to identify you by the device. 
    So, i have goggled the manual for the HUAWEI and have it here, so if i log into it and change the WAN to PPPoE i may have a chance of getting a new IP ?, and if its already set to PPPoE in the first place then, there is no chance i presume.

Oh, you're on FTTH. Ahh. 

So, i have goggled the manual for the HUAWEI and have it here, so if i log into it and change the WAN to PPPoE i may have a chance of getting a new IP ?, and if its already set to PPPoE in the first place then, there is no chance i presume.
    No, in your case the Huawei is an ONT, not the normal HG659(F2000) router. No settings there. You'd need to change the WAN connection on the Thompson. 

Ok, so im looking at the Thomson now, and under 'internet services' there is a 'Internet_GigE_DHCP' tab, and says Type:IPoE. i don't see any option to edit anything.

Oh, you're on FTTH. Ahh. 

No, in your case the Huawei is an ONT, not the normal HG659(F2000) router. No settings there. You'd need to change the WAN connection on the Thompson. 
    Sorry to drag this on, i think this option is missing as eir have the router set up the way they want it and it cant be edited.

So ive decided to go with IPvanish, after a good bit of research, its supposed to be the best for gaming with good ping and routing. now i want to buy a new router and have only the xbox set up with the VPN. Can anyone suggest a router for this kind of set up ?

Advertisement