Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 4th Annual Irish Beer Mile Championships. July 2nd 2016

• 19-04-2016 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

The year of the XXI Olympiad.
    The European athletics championship.
    The European soccer championships
    The 4th Annual Irish Beer Mile Championships.

The date for the 4th annual Irish Beer Mile Championships is Saturday, July 2nd at 7pm. The National Beer Mile track in Kilbogget Park is once again the venue.

Threads for the previous three years events can be seen here 2013, here 2014 and here 2015

Full list of results including a recording of last years race can been seen here

Rules (below) will be the same as the last three years. For more information on beer mile rules and information in general see beermile.com

4 laps.
    1 12 oz beer per lap..
    Must be at least 5 % ABV.
    Puking means a penalty lap.
    You must be over 18.
    You must acknowledge that drinking 4 beers and running a mile is an irresponsible thing to do, but it's just a bit of juvenile fun.
    Fancy dress is permitted.
    Competitors must remain clothed during the event
    Compeptitors are asked not to fill up on beans and eggs before the event.

We generally meet up run the beer mile then head off for some post race refreshments. As in previous years we will head somewhere in Dublin city centre, so that it's not an ordeal for most people to get home.

As usual there will be complaints about the location, date, timing etc. Apologies if it doesn't suit you but this was the date that was agreed upon last year after careful consideration over 10 post race pints and a burrito.

Last year, yet again, we had no female competitors (we had 2 the first year). It would be great if a few ladies would like to come along and give this a bash.

If you're interested please PM me. Alternatively if you're a lurker with no boards.ie account email me on beermile2016@gmail.com.

Chivito is also working on a Facebook page so I'll link that later when he gets the finger out and sorts it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭Peckham

I think it would be fitting to make this my return to racing. My marathoning days are behind me, and after a good outing in the inaugural beer mile championships (4th) with some lessons learnt from that race (bring a reliable bottle opener), there is opportunity for improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Breaking News: Top 2 from last year are confirmed for a rematch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Chivito550 wrote:
    Breaking News: Top 2 from last year are confirmed for a rematch.

Good to hear! Pretty sure I would beat both of them but will have to wait until next year (stupid work). Let the trash talk begin!

I'm missing the best evening of the year. Sub under 5.45 was there for sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I'd like to give this a shot (on the proviso I'm well again) purely for the craic obviously given my lack of speed! (my beer drinking is probably better than my running...) any other women up for this? Don't leave me on my own!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I've been buying up all the moosehead so no one else is going to be able to do any beer training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I'm now negotiating the cancellation of a weekend away with Mrs Mule in favour of this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Hannibelle Smeeeth

Im in!! I dont care if Im the last person left in the whole park and the wolves are on the prowl, Im not missing out this year!

Training ground is back!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

Can I throw a pigeon among the cats?

I know it's a can of worms but I genuinely think women should have slightly altered beer rules. My wife loves a beer or two and my closest female work colleague loves a beer or two or three or four. BUT, neither would be on for a big bottle or strong beer. If it were up to me and to try to get a couple of women involved I'd drop the content to 33cl or maybe even 25 and the abv to 4. I mean official health guidelines differentiate so why not the Irish Beer mile Champs.

What do people think?

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

Looking forward to this, my drinking was the issue last year I think but I've worked hard and put in the hours so hoping to see the results of that!

Itziger wrote: »

I know it's a can of worms but I genuinely think women should have slightly altered beer rules. My wife loves a beer or two and my closest female work colleague loves a beer or two or three or four. BUT, neither would be on for a big bottle or strong beer. If it were up to me and to try to get a couple of women involved I'd drop the content to 33cl or maybe even 25 and the abv to 4. I mean official health guidelines differentiate so why not the Irish Beer mile Champs.

What do people think?

While we're at it maybe they could shorten the marathon distance for us too :pac:

I understand your thinking but I want no concessions for my gender - I'll be woweful but I'll give it my very best shot. That's not to say I'd stand in the way of changes if the majority decide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

you may but be prepared for the pigeon to be savaged.

What do people think?

See rule number 4. We are an equal opportunities race. If the ladies decide themselves that they would like to change the rules that's fine. I'm not going to suggest it or I'll have the PC brigade on moaning as usual!

http://www.beermile.com/rules

What do people think?

When I ran my PB I was beaten by 2 women, one who went sub 8. It's all a mindset thing.

What do the official rules say? I dont want to be stripped of my Irish Female Beermile Champ title because of a technicality!

Sorry just saw trr's post...rules say

4. Women also drink four beers in four laps (past rule lists only required ladies to drink three beers).

I may regret being so law abiding :D

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭The Officer

The women in the Irish Beer Mile adhere to the same guidelines as the men. In fact, I believe the motto in 2014 was Quantatius Proofus Equalitis.

The women in the Irish Beer Mile adhere to the same guidelines as the men. In fact, I believe the motto in 2014 was Quantatius Proofus Equalitis.

was that said before or after the 4 beers :pac:

so that's settled then, women & men 4 beers, 4 laps :cool:

Firedance wrote: »
    was that said before or after the 4 beers :pac:

so that's settled then, women & men 4 beers, 4 laps :cool:

Well, 5 laps if there's a * Frothy the Snowman moment ;)

*Puke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Will there be a medal and/or t-shirt? :D

Provisionally count me in, though I will be far from competitive.

Well, 5 laps if there's a * Frothy the Snowman moment ;)

*Puke

Sounds like the month of my 40th 'celebrations' will be very much like my teenage ones...drinking in a park and puking everywhere! Stick in Wesley afterwards and thats all the boxes ticked :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

anyone got yellow feathers number??

anyone got yellow feathers number??

I think that's my favourite moment. She must have been gasping!!!!

Anyone got Clara Lara's number?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Had to pull out of this last year due to injury so hopefully can make it this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I think that's my favourite moment. She must have been gasping!!!!

Ask Digger ;)

The Beer Mile World Classic is on in London on 31 July this year. The Irish beer mile championships are a perfect lead in to that.

I am VERY tempted to do that. End of the track season so perfect!!

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/beer-mile-world-classic-2016-athletics-meets-beer-tickets-22089488254

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I'll be back for this, intending to go under-sub 10, and re-claiming the 050* title.

* Unofficial. At least until ageist swine such as TRR institute age categorising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Enduro

Fast twitch softies.... here's where it is at :)

She'll be there as a spectator/Marshall/Rules Official

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

RedRunner wrote: »
    Had to pull out of this last year due to injury so hopefully can make it this year.

Well done Red, somebody's got to represent the North side !

Sure I might head over myself !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Well done Red, somebody's got to represent the North side !

I will be too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

I went out to watch it last year and thoroughly enjoyed it... Will be running the HM on Achill the same day, so will have to miss it again!

Although, might make it back in time and use it as "recovery" :)

• Advertisement

davedanon wrote: »
    I'll be back for this, intending to go under-sub 10, and re-claiming the 050* title.

* Unofficial. At least until ageist swine such as TRR institute age categorising.

Ya gotta hope that I don't hop on a flight to Dublin then cos I'd wipe the floor (unfortunately, perhaps literally) with most competitors in the 50 cat.

Must try a training session for the beer mile this year actually.

Sub 10 you say?

Advertisement