Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 4th Annual Irish Beer Mile Championships. July 2nd 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

Don't know how impressed herself would be but the 80 euro return ticket with 'a low-cost airline' is tempting. Of course the beer mile need not be mentioned as reason for trip.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Alright folks, the Beer Mile World Classic have been onto me. They are very keen to get an Irish team to London on July 31. They said they could help with lodging. If there's enough interest we could use our national championships as a trial. They hope for a team of 5/6 with 4 to score. Anybody interested please say so here.

Unlike with the marathon, this team would be determined by the fastest to cover the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

I'll throw my name into the pint glass for it anyway. Although I'll be in the category of 'Interested, but unable to achieve a qualifying time'. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Peterx

Good point.
    What's the equivalent of 2:17:00 for the beer mile or should the more inclusive 2:19 equivalent prevail?

Would that be an even 6 minutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

How have I only found this now? :-(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

I can run 800m and down two beers in 2:58. Would that get me on the team?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I can run 800m and down two beers in 2:58. Would that get me on the team?

I believe the qualifying criteria rank in ascending importance as follows:

1) Beer mile time

2) Time in other 'beer distance' event that may indicate 'potential'.

3) Amount of beers bought for selection committee members in pub after National Beer Mile championships.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I'm definitely up for this!!

Firedance, you still in??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Toulouse wrote: »
    I'm definitely up for this!!

Firedance, you still in??

I think so! although I had a bit of a negative beer experience at the weekend :o:o:o:eek:, note to self, cheep lidl beer is noooooot gooooood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Firedance wrote: »
    I think so! although I had a bit of a negative beer experience at the weekend :o:o:o:eek:, note to self, cheep lidl beer is noooooot gooooood

Plenty of time to get over it! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

For us lowly out of towner types, where are the post-mile beers likely to take place? Tis getting close enough to start thinking about finding someplace to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

CR 7 wrote: »
    For us lowly out of towner types, where are the post-mile beers likely to take place? Tis getting close enough to start thinking about finding someplace to stay.

Last year it took place in the city centre, in Sinnots bar just off St stephen's green. More than likely will be there again this year or somewhere close by!

Last year it took place in the city centre, in Sinnots bar just off St stephen's green. More than likely will be there again this year or somewhere close by!

Any chance we can go somewhere else? Was great craic last year but it was very loud so quite hard to chat. Any old man pubs that stay open past 1am?

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Any chance we can go somewhere else? Was great craic last year but it was very loud so quite hard to chat. Any old man pubs that stay open past 1am?

mother of god, I'll see if they will supply slippers and bovril for you too ;)

Yeah I'm easy, most places will be quite loud and those that are not will be small and may be heard to get room for all of us. Anyone have any suggestions fire away but preferably somewhere in the city centre, so that is the same level of hassle for all Jackeens and Pale dwellers to get home!

mother of god, I'll see if they will supply slippers and bovril for you too ;)

Yeah I'm easy, most places will be quite loud and those that are not will be small and may be heard to get room for all of us. Anyone have any suggestions fire away but preferably somewhere in the city centre, so that is the same level of hassle for all Jackeens and Pale dwellers to get home!

I'll have a think. Somewhere like Market Bar is spacious and easy to chat in. But it probably closes at 12:30 or 1. Nothing stopping us going somewhere else after though.

Porterhouse off Grafton st is open late and not overly loud from recollection.

Ryan's on Camden St stays open late.

It's not general loudness I hate, but more so blaring music. Synnotts had the music up very loud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I'll have a think. Somewhere like Market Bar is spacious and easy to chat in. But it probably closes at 12:30 or 1. Nothing stopping us going somewhere else after though.

Porterhouse off Grafton st is open late and not overly loud from recollection.

Ryan's on Camden St stays open late.

It's not general loudness I hate, but more so blaring music. Synnotts had the music up very loud.
    Alfie Byrnes, on Earlsfort Terrace. Just off Leeson Street (Luas and bus). Food, beer garden, open till 12:30. Then on to Coppers. ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

If there is football on that night I'd avoid synnots as it tends to be a big spot for the games in the euros or wc.

Market bar is a good option I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Yea, Synnotts isn't great for crowds. Way too narrow. I'd second KCs recommendation and also suggest Toners on Baggot St as an alternative. Huge outside area there if the weather is daycent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Yea, Synnotts isn't great for crowds. Way too narrow. I'd second KCs recommendation and also suggest Toners on Baggot St as an alternative. Huge outside area there if the weather is daycent

Yeah, good call, and we'd also find out who is partial to the odd sneaky fag.

I see no mention of food soakage :eek: :eek: :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

I see no mention of food soakage :eek: :eek: :p

The world first Beer & Crisp mile ???

kit3 wrote: »

ha ha nah, I meant post track :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

ha ha nah, I meant post track :)

I know :p Enjoy !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

kit3 wrote: »

Oooooh, now THAT could be messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

How are numbers looking for this? The thread is much quieter than last year!

simonw wrote: »
    How are numbers looking for this? The thread is much quieter than last year!

There's a Facebook page too, and there's over 40 who have said they are coming. At least 20 of those will actually show up and run, at a conservative estimate. Add to that people from this thread, and we are looking at record numbers this year. Thread's a bit quiet, but I expect things to ramp up nicely next week.

I'm starting my training at the National After Party on Sunday night. Perhaps myself, KU and Timaaay can test out some early season form with a few 2am skulls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Any chance of a link to the FB page? Cant seem to find it

Any chance of a link to the FB page? Cant seem to find it

I've kept it private as I don't really want that kind of page going public. So people who are already invited can invite other people. The Facebook page is more there for people who are not on boards, as this is the Irish Champs, not the A/R Champs. So we have 2 places to discus the event. Don't worry, there is more activity on this thread than the Facebook page at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Peterx

Is moosehead in a bottle allowed or is it only cans?
    I did some "training" there with Blue Moon beer but as I really really like the Blue Moon I don't wish to taint it by association with puky vomit feel belly :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Still hoping to make this if I can recover from injury in time. Same problem last year. I seem to get seasonal injuries!:mad:

Advertisement