Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 4th Annual Irish Beer Mile Championships. July 2nd 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Murph_D wrote: »
    No age cats this year?

No soft prizes given out in the Beer Mile. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

were not included on the results page I was sent.

He obviously noticed who was the leading oldie...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

No prize seeking here, my time was an embarrassment in any category.

Murph_D wrote: »
    No prize seeking here, my time was an embarrassment in any category.

Wouldn't say that. Pretty solid going for a debut.

Still haven't decided on my beer for London on Sunday. Sourcing beers is a struggle. Brooklyn Lager probably will be the easiest to find over there, but it's 5.2%, so stronger than needed. How did those of you who used that beer find it for racing with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Still haven't decided on my beer for London on Sunday. Sourcing beers is a struggle. Brooklyn Lager probably will be the easiest to find over there, but it's 5.2%, so stronger than needed. How did those of you who used that beer find it for racing with?

I found it very gassy but since it was my first beer mile I've nothing to compare it to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Peterx

Very Gassy. The 5.2% won't be a problem, it will still be sitting in your gut after the four laps ( hopefully! )
    If you do end up using it make sure it doesn't get shaken about the place - to help reduce the gassiness.
    My trial (between it and a Sierra) went well but that can had been sitting in a fridge for hours. The four I brought to Kilgobbet were obviously shaken up a little.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 DrDrankEngine

Is there any plan to do a Beer Mile this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Meaning to do this for the last few years. I think this year could be my year(if it's on) can't wait. 🍺🍺

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Nah.. dont think there should be a Beer Mile Champs this year, next year or ever again really. We're all fine-tuned athletes with God-like bodies, why would we want to ruin that by drinking????

I'm definitely not saying this as I would like to remain the national champion for as long as is possible, I really mean it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

Yeah, well I for one, think that we should start afresh, wipe the slate clean, forget about previous years. Especially last year.

CR7 has incredible drinking ability but he was outsprinted by an ultra runner :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

Is this likely to go ahead again this year? Need to know if I should be stepping up my training :D

simonw wrote: »
    Is this likely to go ahead again this year? Need to know if I should be stepping up my training :D

How about stepping up your organisational capabilities? :p Can't be leaving it up to the same people every year. Chivito did an excellent job last year, TRR the year before. Maybe this should be handled like the novice marathon thread, with a new nominee every year, culled from the previous year's beer mile virgins (as long as it's not me, of course). :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Peterx

Pencilling in a date would appear to be the main thing.

The timing and all the rest of it are nice to have but an actual date and time helps folk decide if they can help, or want to run, or have to mind the cat that evening.

6.40pm registration, 7pm race, some Saturday in July after the main track events conclude would appear to cover it?

Saturday the 1st of July?

I'd be happy to organise it again if we do it mid to late August. Otherwise I'll leave it to somebody else to organise as I can't really commit to a weekend for definite during the track season, and to be honest this really gets in the way of preparing for big races at the business end of track season.

Either way, whoever is organising it, dictatorship is the only way. Organiser picks a date, and those who can come will come. Democracy doesn't work when it comes to these things. There'll always be somebody washing their hair or minding the dog, no matter what day is picked.

Peterx wrote: »
    Saturday the 1st of July?
    Chivito550 wrote: »
    I'd be happy to organise it again if we do it mid to late August.

Lads lads lads... lets do both :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

The end of August would be better.

That would allow us down here this end of the country time to hold the Munster Beer Mile Championship and send our champion up to face ye...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

I'm in if it's the end of August.

I reserve the right to wimpwithdraw if my hair is anyway greasy that day or if it clashes with my goldfish's manicure appt

I think I speak for all the Irish beer mile community when I say a massive congrats to Josh Harris on his selection for Australia for the marathon at the upcoming World Championships in London. Proving the quality of elite beer milers right there.

• Advertisement

August works for me.

Also, we at the Dublin Hash House Harriers are organising a Red Dress Run this upcoming bank holiday Monday (4th of June) leaving from the Bar 51 on Haddington Road at 6:30pm.

The Hash House Harriers are one of the founders of the Beer Mile, and the Red Dress Run is an annual event that we do in which we run roughly 5k, along a poorly indicated route, in red dresses, and try to raise some money for charity, followed by pints.

Feel free to join/message me if you're interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Frank Duffy 10m is August 26th so mid August or start of July suit me! :D

P.S. Chivito did you just get on the airport bus? I swear it's you but my memory wasn't the best after last years event!

Impromptu beer mile (of sorts) tomorrow in bray if any are interested? It will be on a marked 1 mile trail loop with beers spread out every quarter mile on the loop.

Race start: 18:00
    Meeting at giltspur lane@ 17:30
    Route: https://www.strava.com/activities/1018587454/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1496481444

Myself and one other are going to try cycle out. The weather looks like it doesn't want to agree with this plan but we'll so how it goes.

Myself and one other are going to try cycle out. The weather looks like it doesn't want to agree with this plan but we'll so how it goes.

Great stuff the more the merrier. PM'd you

How did this go?

It was great! Super course with some great views. The beer mile is a tough event but throw in some trails and hills and its even tougher!

Great craic though this will be an annual thing.

The start line:
    419363.jpeg

The first climb:

Run into beer #4:
    419361.jpeg

Beer #4:
    419362.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

That looks brilliant, can't believe I missed that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Can't believe I went all the way to Derry to run 26 miles when I could have done this :-)

• Advertisement

For everyone interested

The date for the 5th annual Irish Beer Mile Championships is Sunday, August 27th at 3pm.

Not breaking with tradition, we'll be running on the National Beer Mile track in Kilbogget Park.

More details to follow...

Advertisement