Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howth Cycle

Options
  • 19-04-2016 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Anyone cycled the Shellmartin-Fintans-Sheilmartin part of the Howth climb?
    I was cycling out to Howth on Sunday and took a right at Sutton and kept right until I came to this sick hill. I read online that its 13% gradient but not sure if this is right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Anyone cycled the Shellmartin-Fintans-Sheilmartin part of the Howth climb?
    I was cycling out to Howth on Sunday and took a right at Sutton and kept right until I came to this sick hill. I read online that its 13% gradient but not sure if this is right?

only about 8% - https://www.strava.com/segments/1775512
    Cracking climb that, 3 laps of that and your legs know all about it :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... and took a right at Sutton and kept right until I came to this sick hill...
    Next time go via Howth village and keep right at the church for Balglass/Balkill Road. Much more scenic! ;)

Next time go via Howth village and keep right at the church for Balglass/Balkill Road. Much more scenic! ;)

you're a mean mean man!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭maverick_21

stecleary wrote: »
    only about 8% - https://www.strava.com/segments/1775512
    Cracking climb that, 3 laps of that and your legs know all about it :cool:

Its the route coming up from Strand road and you take the very last left to come up shielmartin rd? Know it?

Ha! I found that scenic route before....LEG KILLER

• Advertisement

Its the route coming up from Strand road and you take the very last left to come up shielmartin rd? Know it?

is it the one in the link?

is it the one in the link?

Nope. I cycled down and kept right along strand road and then took a left just before the green on your link image?

Nope. I cycled down and kept right along strand road and then took a left just before the green on your link image?

as in the blue area here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

as in the blue area here

What's cycling in the sea like?

bazermc wrote: »

Dark blue!!!

• Advertisement

Yep. I cycled up that road and then took a left and left again, and then joined back with St Fintans road.

Very refreshing actually

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Only if you add Windgate in as well and then straight up to the carpark. It was beautiful doing that yesterday, if you can ever call the Balkill Road beautiful. I have heard it call several other things but probably none are fit for this site !!LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

Next time go via Howth village and keep right at the church for Balglass/Balkill Road. Much more scenic!

What gear would you take that at:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

when you come up from strand road and come to the T Junction turn right and go up the hill then take the right at the T Junction and follow carrickbrack road down to the junctions at ceanchor and windgate roads and take the left up windgate road and follow the road around to the left and up the nice little drag there

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Did that for the first time yesterday evening. Figured it wouldn't be any steeper than the main road, but god was I wrong about that. Short but very tough climb. Will be trying to built up to a few laps on that route.

The descent down the Windgate road was absolutely terrifying! Came across a sharp left hander I was not expecting and ended up in someone's driveway on the far side of the road.

Did that for the first time yesterday evening. Figured it wouldn't be any steeper than the main road, but god was I wrong about that. Short but very tough climb. Will be trying to built up to a few laps on that route.

The descent down the Windgate road was absolutely terrifying! Came across a sharp left hander I was not expecting and ended up in someone's driveway on the far side of the road.

was that the fast sharp bend just before you come down on the big rock wheres there a fork in the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

neris wrote: »
    was that the fast sharp bend just before you come down on the big rock wheres there a fork in the road?

Sounds like it. Its here:

https://goo.gl/maps/Y7iHFjCDGhT2

Was no slow sign on the road, and what initially appeared to be a mild bend became much more acute. I got lucky that nothing was coming the other way. Makes me realise how much i rely on cues like signs on the road when descending!

Thats the one, a little basterd of a climb if going the other way

Advertisement