Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heineken Light

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

Zaph wrote: »
    If you're on the sort of holiday where you're drinking 10 pints a night for a week I sincerely doubt that you're going to be the sort of person who cares how many calories are in each pint.

Agreed. I found though that the mid strengths in Ozzy were great because people were always having bbq parties during day and you could drink a whole case of mids over 8 hours or so without being p*ssed or having much of a hangover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Blut2

rubadub wrote: »
    The difference is certainly not that much.

You appear to be right on the overall calorie counts. Apologies, those were the first figures I pulled off of Google. I just double checked on MyFitnessPal though, somewhere usually fairly reliable, and it gives figures of 230kcal for a UK pint of Heineken, 170kcal for a UK pint of Coors Light. So still a difference of 60kcal per pint, which is sizable enough to add up in large quantities/over time. A quiet enough night of 4 pints would be a calorie difference of 1 Mars bar.
    If you're on the sort of holiday where you're drinking 10 pints a night for a week I sincerely doubt that you're going to be the sort of person who cares how many calories are in each pint.

You'd be surprised; I've been on plenty of short holidays with a rugby team where everyone is going temporarily mad, but they've still got their medium term fitness in the back of the mind. They're drinking heavily, but will be careful to watch their diet somewhat otherwise - ie no late night kebabs, drinking light beers if available etc.

I've also lived in the US where lots of health-minded men will openly admit to drinking light beers instead of full bodied ones for calorie reasons, even when binge drinking. It's something I think will become more common in Ireland as average fitness levels increase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Blut2 wrote: »

I've also lived in the US where lots of health-minded men will openly admit to drinking light beers instead of full bodied ones for calorie reasons, even when binge drinking. It's something I think will become more common in Ireland as average fitness levels increase.

As a nation, we are getting fatter, not fitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

As a nation, we are getting fatter, not fitter.
    You know what they say...survival of the fattest :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

studies have shown that calories from alcohol have little effect on heavy drinkers, I have always known/found this myself anecdotally. Therefore if you have 10 pints of heineken a night or drank the equivalent units as vodka with a diet mixer you would be drinking the equivalent to about 3 pints worth of coke in the heineken. (I don't know Irish figures for heineken)

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/02/04/health/why-the-body-may-waste-the-calories-from-alcohol.html
    But chronic heavy drinking can prime certain metabolic processes and, in effect, train the body to waste the seven calories a gram that alcohol ordinarily provides.

For example, weight gain was negligible in alcoholics who were given 2,000 calories of alcohol daily on top of the 2,500 calories from foods they consumed to maintain their weight. But when the same number of additional calories were fed as chocolate, a steady weight gain resulted.
    Blut2 wrote: »
    it gives figures of 230kcal for a UK pint of Heineken, 170kcal for a UK pint of Coors Light. So still a difference of 60kcal per pint, which is sizable enough to add up in large quantities/over time.
    UK heineken is 5% and UK coors light is 4%.

So the if you drank the same amount of units as coors the coors would be 212.5kcal per pint.

i.e. 4 pints of heinken has the same alcohol as 5 pints of coors, which would be 920kcal vs 850kcal.

• Advertisement

Alcohol calories don't effect my weight at all, from my experience it's 100% down to food. I'd imagine it's the same for most people.

Anyway - Heineken light was in Dunnes last night, the cans of it are 3%. I'm off the sauce for a while now but this is a great option to have, it means I can get 8 cans and bring then to a party and I wont be p*ssed. Hope it sticks around.

There is a website under construction.

https://heinekenlight.ie/#/

As said above it does seem to be 3%.

http://www.drinksindustryireland.ie/heineken-lights-exclusive-irish-launch/

http://www.shelflife.ie/heineken-ireland-launches-heineken-light/
    Heineken Light, which has won global awards for its taste, has been specially crafted by Heineken’s master brewers to deliver the trademark crisp taste and flavour that fans experience from Heineken. Brewed using the same process as Heineken, with the addition of the cascade aroma hop, it delivers a floral and fruity aroma. With a slightly lower bitterness, the brand describes Heineken Light as delivering a well-balanced and smooth light finish.
    “Heineken Light is leading the way in Ireland,” commented Sharon Walsh, Heineken Ireland’s Marketing Director, “We know that beer drinkers are looking for choice and variety within the beer category – they want brands that match their lifestyles. Now they can ‘Have It All’ with Heineken Light – everything you want from a light beer, but with a great taste!
    “Light can mean different things to different consumers” she continued, “light on taste, light in calories or lighter in ABV. What makes Heineken Light stand out is that it’s a great-tasting light beer that’s both low in calories and slightly lower in alcohol.”
    Heineken Light is lighter in calories and is 3% ABV where Coors Light and Bud Light are standard strength ABV. The only other lower ABV beer on draught at present is Guinness Mid-Strength.
    Heineken Light is available on draught, 330ml bottle and 500ml can with a RRP similar to that of Heineken Lager.

can't see them selling much at the same price.

rubadub wrote: »
    can't see them selling much at the same price.

I think it's 4 cans of it for 6 or €7 at the moment. Really it should be 4 for €5 given the lower alc content. I wonder how long it will last.

I think it's 4 cans of it for 6 or €7 at the moment.
    yep, 4 for €7 in tesco alright.

The duty on it is 33.8cent for 500ml at 3%.

If it was 2.8% it would fall into the lower category, so would 15.8cent for 500ml at 2.8%.

Up to 1.2% is no excise duty.

You'd think they'd have made it 2.9 to avoid that carry on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

A beer that's less than 5% abv has no need of a light version.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

kieranfitz wrote: »
    A beer that's less than 5% abv has no need of a light version.

That bull is another indication of American influence here, it needs to be stopped as does the use of awesome in everyday life, there's a great documentary that I can't recall the name of that shows a group of yanks blind tasting beers, all light ****e mind, and as they taste them they say oh yeah that's my bud light ect and they were all wrong, idiots!

This article is saying heineken light is 22kcal per 100ml.
    http://www.irishmirror.ie/whats-on/food-drink-news/heineken-unveil-newest-beer-join-7831490

no regular heineken figures revealed, most online are for 5% stuff and I would only really trust their site.

That is 110kcal per 500ml can. Guinness is 170kcal per 500ml can, this was printed on the cans here a while back. So if guinness at 4.2% was watered down to 3% it would be about 121kcal. Guinness is relatively low in calories.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jimmy_b

I tried heineken light over the weekend, it wasn't bad but i don't see myself drinking it on a regular basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

13,000 Free pints and €2 off vouchers for take away packs in supervalu and centra stres.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057602318

• Registered Users Posts: 28 The_Irish_Dave

Can anyone tell me what pubs have Heineken Light on draught in the city centre? Not bottles. Draught. Cheers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I've seen it in The Harbourmaster.

Advertisement