Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leiden Marathon, Netherlands 22nd May

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 QwertyIII

Ran this in 2014, nice marathon, well organised, handy pack pick up, nice little town.

The course itself is flat and you only start and finish in Leiden, you go from villiage to village on the route. Few streches are quite long and straight as you go along canals, it was 25degrees when I did it so struggled in the heat, but had plenty of water stations & sponges and locals out with hoses etc. There's little shelter/shade i.e. trees/buildings etc so again didn't help with the heat. Good crowd do it, you won't be running by yourself at any point. Think there was a 10k & half on also, all finising around the same time, so good atmosphere at the end, & they gave out beer too, always a bonus.

I'd say the best thing about the marathon was the atmosphere in the each of the little villages. One village everyone was dressed up in greek sytle toga costumes, out cheering you on offering you grapes, they even had fake polystyrene greek pillars lining the route, was quite surreal to be honest.

You planning on running it colostomy bag?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Colostomy Bag

Sorry - only seeing your reply now. I did run it, 10 days ago, and I saw the guys dressed in Toga gear too. In the same town there were about 30 women dressed up as Nuns and a guy dressed as a Bishop throwing holy water over the runners - you bet it was surreal! I really enjoyed the whole experience even though I didn't get a PB. Weather wasn't too hot - the only thing that wasn't great was cups of water instead of bottles at the water stations. That was my first M outside Ireland, will do it again next year hopefully.

Advertisement