Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need to lower my costs - ArthriAid

• 19-04-2016 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi Guys, I have a Lab and frenchie.

The Lab has a liver illness (hypertension) and is on 2 different pills a day and 2ml of milkthisle, the drugs are a good combination and he was given a estimate of two months back in July of last year. Because of his liver he needs to stay relaxed and not strain himself with exercise the result of this (with the help of drug im sure) is that Arthritics has taken a strong hold but he's still keen to get walking.

The bulldog has a prominent bulldog stance and is straining his front elbows, and while he's not anywhere near arthritic yet he might develop it in his old years.

The result of this the vet recommended ArthriAid as it wont effect the labs liver. The issue is that the drugs for his liver are around €50 a month and €90 for the dog food for both the dog and now this ArthriAid is €35 a bottle a month.

This is too much for us and i was hoping someone might know of a generic alternative for ArthriAid

Cheers, Niall

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

22rabbits wrote: »

The Lab has a liver illness (hypertension) and is on 2 different pills a day and 2ml of milkthisle, the drugs are a good combination and he was given a estimate of two months back in July of last year. Because of his liver he needs to stay relaxed and not strain himself with exercise the result of this (with the help of drug im sure) is that Arthritics has taken a strong hold but he's still keen to get walking.

The bulldog has a prominent bulldog stance and is straining his front elbows, and while he's not anywhere near arthritic yet he might develop it in his old years.

The result of this the vet recommended ArthriAid as it wont effect the labs liver. The issue is that the drugs for his liver are around €50 a month and €90 for the dog food for both the dog and now this ArthriAid is €35 a bottle a month.

This is too much for us and i was hoping someone might know of a generic alternative for ArthriAid

Cheers, Niall

Hi OP,

Personally I don’t rate ArthriAid at all, my vet also recommended it for my cocker (he has shoulder issues) and had a limp for a good while.
    I never found it any good and overpriced (IME vets will push what they sell and it’s not necessarily the best price wise or dog wise – that’s just my personal experience).

After a lot of research and recommendations my guy is currently on the following per day:

1 x ½ Scoop of Luposan Pellets - €50 for a big tub of it 1,350g – lasts me 6 months or so – its excellent for joints and bones.

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/supplements_specialty_food/bones_joints/luposan/129097

1 x tea spoon of salmon Oil - €21 large bottle- I litre – lasts me 6 months or so -– its excellent for joints and bones, coat too and general well-being.

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/supplements_specialty_cat_food/fur_skin_supplements/127318

1 x small spoon for turmeric paste – I buy it here (but I know other posters can give you a great recipe for it..).. its excellent for joint pain and discomfort.

I buy 3 x bags, freeze two – they last me around 4 months or so (it’s the one called golden paste)

http://www.holistichound.ie/#!gels/cfpf

Since he’s been getting a combination of all three he is in tip top shape .. he’s 11 next week, apart forma few grey hairs looks and acts like a pup.

While to get all three above would cost you around €90 it will last 5/6 months so far cheaper than ArthriAid and IMO far better results.

I’ve used all the above website many many times of the years and also highly recommend them!

Best of luck!

Cheers, Niall

Also OP €90 a month for food? seems very high, what are you feeding them if you dont mind me asking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

€90 a month for food is pretty steep - what are you feeding them? I have 2 retrievers and would spend €50 max on food - granted they're raw fed but €90 a month for a lab and frenchie?!

Anyways for the Arthri-Aid - it's half the price online from the UK. Use Parcel Wizard to avail of free UK Shipping! ;) You could also maybe try turmeric golden paste and try reducing the arthriaid?

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/joint-supplement-tablet-capsules-arthri-aid-invigorate-tablets-c-5_4_2006_322/arthri-aid-canine-120-tablets-p-1686
    https://www.viovet.co.uk/ArthriAid_for_Dogs_Cats/c372/?sct_t=1461076044&sct_q=arthriaid+dog&sct_r=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

ArthriAid is glucosamine/chondroitin.

They seemed to be good for arthritis in humans initially- turns out when you do better research on them, they don't actually help with joint pain. All that happened was that people were publishing studies saying 'this drug helps joint pain' and not publishing ones that showed it didn't have any effect- publication bias. When you take into account all the studies, look at bigger and better-designed studies, the 'effect' pretty mcuh disappears.

They are relatively safe, but there's not much evdience of benefit. It is well known for arthritis in animals that if you tell the owner you have given the dog a treatment, both owner and vet will see an improvement (even if you haven't given anything at all)- placebo effect. Arthritis is a variable condition so it's particularly prone to this. If you want to take a chance on it then look for a cheaper glucosamine/chondroitin supplement and check the ingredients with your vet. There are few studies in dogs but they don't have any more exciting results. My own vet keeps up with the research on it and wouldn't recommend it.
    https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/glucosamine-the-unsinkable-rubber-duck/
    https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-top-ten-pet-supplements-do-they-work/

It's a pity it doesn't work, because I have two arthritic dogs and I spend a lot of time and money on food, meds, swimming etc. It's awful to see them limping on days when it's bad. I find the best things with mine were swimming (being a lab your lad will likely love this) somewhere with a gentle slope to get in and out of the water and good even footing under the water, being absolutely scrupulous about keeping the weight down, and short on-leash walks regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

I have used Yumove with mine and saw improvements straight away. They come in a box of 300 and the cost was reasonable for one per day. I order from Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 22rabbits

the food is burns original around 80 a large bag but that doesn't last the month with the two dog (all measured out as per weight), as even though the bulldog is small they require a goo amount of food and he's really slim :)

Ill have to contact my vet as they are on par with the cost of online for the ArthriAid at €35 per 500ml.

The oil's idea would be a no go for the lab as oils with strain his liver. the Yumove sounds good if i can find it in a liquid form as subjecting the lab to more pills would be cruel :)

Shint0 wrote: »
    I have used Yumove with mine and saw improvements straight away. They come in a box of 300 and the cost was reasonable for one per day. I order from Amazon.

One per day!! What a bargain for you lol - my guy would take 3 a day with his size!! Riaflex is meant to be better than YuMove from reviews/recommendations I got so switched to that since it's cheaper too and they have offers every now and again. It's a powder though and I'm terrified I'll drop it and spill the lot lol! :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

the food is burns original around 80 a large bag but that doesn't last the month with the two dog (all measured out as per weight), as even though the bulldog is small they require a goo amount of food and he's really slim :)
    I assume you mean 15kg for large bag; you're overpaying by about 20 EUR per bag compared to Zooplus normal prices and could easier lower that further (5% discount codes, changing to ToTW or similar may also help).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

cocker5 wrote: »
    Hi OP, Personally I don’t rate ArthriAid at all

I had good results with ArthriAid, my collie had some arthritis in her knee after rupturing her cruciate ligament; any time I gave her a rest from the ArthriAid she became lame.

OP you can use human glucosamine-chondroitin supplements and ditto on omega 3/6 fatty acids. These are available cheaply even in Tesco, Lidl and Aldi. You just have to know your dog's weight for an accurate dose.

Here is an excellent link for dosages and more:

http://www.dogaware.com/health/arthritissupps.html

• Advertisement

If you're using 'human' supplements BulkPowders.ie often have 30% off sales so you can make a good saving ;)

Ill have to contact my vet as they are on par with the cost of online for the ArthriAid at €35 per 500ml.

The oil's idea would be a no go for the lab as oils with strain his liver. the Yumove sounds good if i can find it in a liquid form as subjecting the lab to more pills would be cruel :)

wow €80 is very expensive. i fed my guy Burns for years and paid between €53 - €58 for the large 15kg bag.

I would def buy from Zooplus.ie switch to TOWT also the feeding amount is slightly lower etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

You can significantly cut the cost of food by buying online. Its €60 for 15kg on zooplus

Advertisement