Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for an entry to the Limerick half marathon

Options
  • 19-04-2016 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Anyone not running & looking to offload their number I would buy it from you. Last minute decision to run the half this year but I can't stomach paying €60 quid for it this late. Not pushed about having to change the name or anything.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

*Mod Note* I can't find anywhere that transfers are legal, can OP confirm they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭gtothek

yop wrote: »
    *Mod Note* I can't find anywhere that transfers are legal, can OP confirm they are?
    It's hardly ticket touting and I doubt it's "illegal"but I'll check it out. I've seen loads of these for previous races on boards/adverts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Are u lookin to save petrol money getting into town aswell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

In all fairness €57 is very expensive for a half marathon entry, especially with a run so heavily sponsored by private companies. Considering last year that no money went into racer packs (wart cream ffs) the organisers must be making bucket loads of dosh of this race. I've been really put off the Great Limerick Run because of this. There certainly not putting the money back into the race as the 6 miles was a shambles last year and v poorly organised.

panda100 wrote: »
    In all fairness €57 is very expensive for a half marathon entry, especially with a run so heavily sponsored by private companies. Considering last year that no money went into racer packs (wart cream ffs) the organisers must be making bucket loads of dosh of this race. I've been really put off the Great Limerick Run because of this. There certainly not putting the money back into the race as the 6 miles was a shambles last year and v poorly organised.
    My thoughts exactly. I've just come back from injury & can't stomach giving those guys almost €60.

• Advertisement

Are u lookin to save petrol money getting into town aswell?
    Yes please. Can I have half of your sandwich as well??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

The GLR is great for Limerick and I'm glad we have it, but it's really not a great event for runners. What you get for the entry fee is pretty dismal compared to comparable events. As far as I know, it's a purely corporate venture and the people behind it aren't runners themselves. It shows.

Also, is the expo still on out in the UL Arena? That's a disaster. It should be in the city centre. The Strand Hotel would be a better location.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

The wart cream was hilarious to find in the bag!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Ran it the last 3 years but won't be partaking next weekend. There is much better racing events for that kind of money. Its very poorly organised which is a shame.

Is it contracted out by the council or how did it come about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Charging the kids entry 15€ is just wrong, a lot of people simply cannot afford this and really want their kids to do this as it is a great way for them to get into sport/fitnes.
    I think the money from the 10k/half and full should fund trhe kids runs to encourage as many kids into sport as possible.
    Marty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Anyone got a bib for the 6 mile? Will pay full price.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Entry is still open

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

zulutango wrote: »
    The GLR is great for Limerick and I'm glad we have it, but it's really not a great event for runners. What you get for the entry fee is pretty dismal compared to comparable events. As far as I know, it's a purely corporate venture and the people behind it aren't runners themselves. It shows.

I have no connection to the run but I do know the 2 men behind it. Both have done 5 or 6 marathons in the past.
    martyc5674 wrote: »
    Charging the kids entry 15€ is just wrong, a lot of people simply cannot afford this and really want their kids to do this as it is a great way for them to get into sport/fitnes.
    I think the money from the 10k/half and full should fund trhe kids runs to encourage as many kids into sport as possible.
    Marty

All the profits from the kids event are given directly back to the schools which the children register from so the event is not for profit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Skuxx wrote: »

All the profits from the kids event are given directly back to the schools which the children register from so the event is not for profit!

A fiver from each entrant goes back to the school they attend..its 15 to enter.
    This fiver in my opinion gives an incentive to get the schools to promote it within...not altogether a bad idea as it gets more kids involved,but your missing my point entirely.
    My point is that it there should not be a charge for the kids to enter...the cost should be covered by the revenue generated by the marathon/half/10k etc.
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Jose Maria

gtothek wrote: »
    Anyone not running & looking to offload their number I would buy it from you. Last minute decision to run the half this year but I can't stomach paying 60 quid for it this late. Not pushed about having to change the name or anything.
    Add your reply here.

One of my mates is not running the half and is paid up, PM if interested

Skuxx wrote: »
    I have no connection to the run but I do know the 2 men behind it. Both have done 5 or 6 marathons in the past.

I think they got into running when they set up the Great Limerick Run!!

So I have to give it to the GLR that they really upped their game this year and seemed to have taken feedback from previous years on board. The entry packs actually consisted of more than a plastic bag and wart cream and were pretty decent this year.
    Likewise, they had much better control over the start of the 6 miles imo. There was much stricter control over the buggies and walkers being placed toward the back of the race. For the first time ever I only had to dodge walkers for the first 1km. Usually it's a minefield of walkers and buggies for the first 2 km. Much better organised and patrolled this year and hence made for a very enjoyable run!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Was my first time running a 10k. I stayed about half way back at the start as I thought I might slow people down and was raging I did. I ended up having to dodge stroller and walkers for about 1 to 2km. Despite all the warnings for walkers and people with strollers to stay at the back, some still made there way nearer the front and obstructed a lot of runners. People can be so ignorant but when you live in a city of people that have their own set of traffic and parking rules most the time it is to be expected that the same attitude might transfer over to things like this.

Have to say though I really enjoyed it and there was a great buzz around pery square and on the run itself.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Jofspring wrote: »
    Was my first time running a 10k. I stayed about half way back at the start as I thought I might slow people down and was raging I did. I ended up having to dodge stroller and walkers for about 1 to 2km. Despite all the warnings for walkers and people with strollers to stay at the back, some still made there way nearer the front and obstructed a lot of runners. People can be so ignorant but when you live in a city of people that have their own set of traffic and parking rules most the time it is to be expected that the same attitude might transfer over to things like this.

Have to say though I really enjoyed it and there was a great buzz around pery square and on the run itself.

I nearly lost the plot with a group of women at the start of the 6-mile. I was out at the front of the group and I wasn't running about 20 seconds only to come across 7-8 women wearing dark navy who were walking all in a row right in the middle of the road. Morons.

Apart from that, it was a much better event from start to finish. Easier to collect bags, less queues, better goody bags, more relevant stalls at the expo, better handle on walkers in the 6 mile and far nice medals. I had planned on this being my last event if it did not show improvement over last year but am definitely doing it again.

Perfect weather too :D

By the way, did anyone doing the 6 mile notice their final running distance on their GPS watch? I came in at 6.05 miles as did another friend of mine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Mine came in as 9.74km which coverts to 6.05 miles.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Apart from that, it was a much better event from start to finish. Easier to collect bags, less queues, better goody bags, more relevant stalls at the expo, better handle on walkers in the 6 mile and far nice medals. I had planned on this being my last event if it did not show improvement over last year but am definitely doing it again.

Me too. Many of my friends didn't take part this year due to what a shambles it had been last year. The walkers are still an issue in the GLR but I've long since learnt that it is not a run I will be doing a pb in. There are lots of other races for that.
    My distance came in at 9.8 km on Map My Run so a little over 6miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

The difference between 'GPS' distance and 'official' distance is at least in part due to 'the line' one runs. If one zigzags across the road frequently, one could easily run s slightly longer distance than if one ,for example one remained in the centre of the road. My 'half' came in at 13.29 on my Garmin,the surplus entirely accumulated in the early stages, when I did have to 'zigzag' quite a bit in a struggle for space. Its an incredibly expensive event,as are all 'focus' events, but I did enjoy it ☺

Advertisement