Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Phone repaired now unable to un-assemble

• 19-04-2016 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Hoping for a bit of guidance on this.

I got a phone repaired under warranty in November '15 and is was working fine when I got it back.
    In March '16 the phone stopped working. I had been told by my network operator that the warranty was finished so I sent it to an independent technician.
    My tech told me that he could not open the phone as it appeared glued (something he said he seen before, hearsay I know).
    I have been in contact with my network operator and the long and the short is they are telling me it's nothing to do with them, go back to your tech, and that I can send it to them for repair at a cost (prob more than the phone is worth).

So in short my situation is that I have a phone the I can't get repaired by a technician of my choice and the cause may be the repair process they carried out.

What are my options?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

How much did the phone cost? Exactly how old is it? How long was the warranty? What was the original fault? Was is the current fault?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In some cases it's not possible for the device to be reassembled to the same standard as in the factory because the repair shop don't have then same machinery. And disassembling by its nature can cause parts to be slightly misshapen and not refit snugly. So the repair team may use a glue or other methods to account for this.

It's not anything bad per se, it just makes future repairs more complicated.

However you may still be within the statutory warranty period for this. How long have you had the device?

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Joseph wrote:
    How much did the phone cost? Exactly how old is it? How long was the warranty? What was the original fault? Was is the current fault?

Joseph wrote:

Not sure how much it cost as it was part of my price plan. HTC one M7.

It's just over twenty months old and had two years warranty.

Original fault was camera and now it's not turning on.

seamus wrote:
    In some cases it's not possible for the device to be reassembled to the same standard as in the factory because the repair shop don't have then same machinery. And disassembling by its nature can cause parts to be slightly misshapen and not refit snugly. So the repair team may use a glue or other methods to account for this.

seamus wrote:
    It's not anything bad per se, it just makes future repairs more complicated.

seamus wrote:
    However you may still be within the statutory warranty period for this. How long have you had the device?

It's outside the two year warranty. They wouldn't give me an answer when I asked was there a warranty on the repair (that's prob a long shot).

I have it 21 months. Got repaired in Dec under warranty. I think it was a reconditioned unit (different imei no)

My issue isn't financial, I feel it's not acceptable to give me a phone back that lasts three months then can't be repaired.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

Bassboxxx wrote: »
    It's outside the two year warranty. They wouldn't give me an answer when I asked was there a warranty on the repair (that's prob a long shot).

I have it 21 months. Got repaired in Dec under warranty. I think it was a reconditioned unit (different imei no)

21 months is less than 2 years, so you should be within the warranty. Even so, any repair needs to be permanent, so if you had it repaired back in December, then it shouldn't be broken 5 months later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Who's your tech guy, the M7 is glued and so is the m8,m9 and proably the m10. It shouldn't be an issue for someone that knows what there doing. If he has opened the phone your warranty is kaput.
    If your phone is still in warranty push who ever your network is to fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

My issue isn't financial, I feel it's not acceptable to give me a phone back that lasts three months then can't be repaired.

Thanks.

Was the phone new when you got it? If so, then the warranty would start when you got the phone, which would mean that the phone was still in warranty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

The m7 is fully sealed with glue/resin as standard, not by accident during a repair.

So it sounds like it should still be covered under warranty. I would get in touch directly with HTC about this. I've sent my M7 to the repair centre of theirs in Dublin before for a camera issue and was sent a new one back.

As an aside, REGARDLESS of warranty status you are covered under your statutory rights. The phone should still be functioning.

Apologies, the phone is actually 27 months old. two years and three months. It is outside of it's original warranty.

My issues is less with the question of warranty that it is of having a phone that is unrepairable.

On the question of the phone being glued at manufacturing my tech guy is aware of this. It is now stuck in a way that it can't be opened by the normal methods.

• Advertisement

Joseph wrote: »

As an aside, REGARDLESS of warranty status you are covered under your statutory rights. The phone should still be functioning.

Where can I find exactly how I'm covered.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Where can I find exactly how I'm covered.

Thanks.

Sale of Goods and Supply of Services act, 1980.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,512 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Apologies, the phone is actually 27 months old. two years and three months. It is outside of it's original warranty.

My issues is less with the question of warranty that it is of having a phone that is unrepairable.

On the question of the phone being glued at manufacturing my tech guy is aware of this. It is now stuck in a way that it can't be opened by the normal methods.

first you said he had never seen this before now you say that he is aware that it is glued at manufacturing. Perhaps try a different repair guy?

first you said he had never seen this before now you say that he is aware that it is glued at manufacturing. Perhaps try a different repair guy?

Perhaps try reading the posts before pointing out much sought after mistakes.
    I said he HAS seen this before when I was speaking about the use of glue in the repair process.
    And I said he is aware of the use of glue when referencing the manufacture process.

Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Is your tech guy a HTC technician or certified by HTC?

If not then find someone who is? but be prepared to pay pro prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Sale of Goods and Supply of Services act, 1980.

Consumer information told me after 2 years that's no longer valid for items like laptops and phones.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Consumer information told me after 2 years that's no longer valid for items like laptops and phones.

That doesn't sound right at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

whiterebel wrote: »
    That doesn't sound right at all.

It didn't to be honest, but I got it repaired for free by the good will of the company anyway.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Well that's just plain incorrect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Joseph wrote: »
    Well that's just plain incorrect.

The Sale of goods act only kicks in if the problem appeared in the first 6mts. So the 2yrs is the manufacturers warranty.

• Advertisement

The Sale of goods act only kicks in if the problem appeared in the first 6mts. So the 2yrs is the manufacturers warranty.
    The first six months refers to whether the problem was there when you bought it, i.e. the fault was there when you bought it if it develops within the first six months. That's not to say something is only covered for six months...

Advertisement