Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Balance between Diet and Excercise?

• 19-04-2016 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

Hi All,

Long term reader but first time poster. Im in my late 20's and im 6'3 of stocky build. I use to be very athletic and did numerous sports and weight training until sudden career change meant I was unable to continue playing due to a very busy schedule as I was working while doing a 5 year college degree course .Iv since finished college and have found myself a nice 8-4.30 Monday to Friday job so alot more spare time for hobbies etc now. I was probably near 16 and half stone at my peak heaviest at when I was doing no exercise/sports and diet was fairly poor.

I started back playing soccer 2/3 times a week towards end of last summer and since February this year I have rejoined the gym so I try also fit in two good 1hour weight training sessions a week too. Iv gotten my current weight down to around 15 stone 4lbs or just under at times but seemed to have plateaued around this weight now.ideally I would like to lose another half stone to get down to around the 14 stone 10lbs mark while maintaining soe bulk. I do mainly free weights work and while the weights with the dumbbells im using have gotten heavier for these sessions the weight loss however has stagnated

My diet would generally be the same for Monday to Saturday which would usually consist of for breakfast
    - 3 or 4 hard boiled eggs
    - 2 slices of mcambridge wholemeal brown bread and
    -1 bowl of Rice krispies

Lunch
    - Roast dinner on cantine menu that day with 1 baked potato and veg

-large bowl of pasta and chicken

Am I eating too many carbs and Is my diet now the main reason for slowdown in weight loss?I do use that Fitness Pal app to give a rough estimate on my calorie intake but do find it not very good for accuracy regarding input of what exercise done that day to help determine calorie balance.while I do play soccer 2/3 nights a week I will admit while I do build a sweat the games are only a kick around and casual so the running distance covered wouldnt be that substantial. Is there any specific types of exercises and training I should concentrate to help me lose the last half stone?I would have fairly broad and big shoulders while perhaps most of my excess weight would be in my core and mid rift area.

I would be a social drinker like most people my age and would prob head out on average maybe 3 out of the 4 Saturday nights a month and usually every Sunday night afters does involve a greasy chipper for the hangover!!!

Apologies for the long message but felt the more details and insight provided to help describe my situation would allow for best feedback. Any advice or potential feedback on diet or routines/gym exercises is welcome to help shed last bit of weightloss

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You're looking at approx 2,600 calories a day to stay the same weight so less than that to lose weight.

You're calorie intake needs to drop if you weight is to drop.

I'd be inclined to ignore the calories 'earned' through football or weights. In any case, MFP overestimates calories burned through exercise by a significant margin (it's not alone in that, mind you) and you've admitted that the intensity in the football isn't all that high.

Your weight loss will be 70-80% down to diet so maybe work on portion sizes and track calories consumed honestly/accurately on MFP.

Advertisement