Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to kill roots?

Options
  • 19-04-2016 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Hi everyone

We have two trees cut down by previous owners to half level now we see small leaves are growing on then.

So what is the best way to kill it as we want a shed to be build they massive trunk so taking out will cost fortune?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭amandstu

I think I read that you can open up the green bark and apply glyphosate (roundup) onto it.

If you don''t want to cut down the trunk I would cut through the bark as close to ground level as practical (a band about 2 centimetres wide) and apply the chemical below that line.

Keep an eye on it and repeat the application as necessary.Anything above the line you have cut will die of its own accord and anything below the line will die out eventually.

After a few years you may have a wobbly trunk and may have to deal with it at that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

Apparently you can drill down through the center as far as you can and pour diesel into it, then leave it a few hours to soak in then repeat this and light a fire in the hole. I don't know how safe this would be but this is the advice someone gave me. I said feck it and left the stump as it wasn't in the way. I also have seen roots hollowed out to make flower planters which look great or seats etc

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

FGS don't mention Roundup or diesel on here or you'll attract the attention of the Judgmental Police:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

You would need to cut them to ground level and hire a stump grinder.if you are in a hurry. Any of the methods used to kill the stump can take months and then you still have to get them out.
    A more eco friendly way is to drill holes deep into the stump and fill with magnesium sulphate, fill in the holes with putty and cover with black plastic to block out sun and rain. Again, you would need to cut the trunk down first to ensure you are applying to living tissue and this can take a long time to work,with the risk that the whole process may have to be repeated.
    Mechanical removal is really the best and surest option.

Advertisement