Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking on campus

Options
  • 19-04-2016 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

I am visiting the UCD campus for the first time on Thursday afternoon. I'm aware that there are a lot of car parks on campus, but I'm wondering how busy these are and if I'm likely to be circling around for a while before a space becomes available. In the event that the car parks are full, are there any safe and convenient on-street parking options within 10 or 15 minutes walk of the campus. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Parking is by permit only in most areas. There are pay and display car parks but they nearly always full. Be really, really careful where you park as you will be clamped, no if's or but's. If you are in doubt, ask someone passing and check the signage carefully. There are some higher tariff areas that do have more spaces come up but honestly, if its after 9am and before 1pm, you're really unlikely to get a space. Hovering around near the top of the hour / 10 past will get students leaving usually, but again, permit parking is in all the major car parks.

You can often get a space directly across the road from the N11 entrance (The 'Cranford' centre) and its pay / display. Its safe and a 10 min walk to anywhere on campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 OmegaRed10

Op - if you're in after 5 in the evening all parking is free bar some very premium spaces. The University Estates office have a map on their webpage showing the various car parks (link below)

http://map.ucdestates.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭The Woodcock

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Hi guys, I'm at a conference in UCD next Thursday and Friday, what will it be like for getting parking, according to Ucd estates parking should be free from May on. Will the car parks be busy at this time of year?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The_N4sir

masterK wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm at a conference in UCD next Thursday and Friday, what will it be like for getting parking, according to Ucd estates parking should be free from May on. Will the car parks be busy at this time of year?

This week is a revision week so parking on campus should be easy enough to come by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

The_N4sir wrote: »
    This week is a revision week so parking on campus should be easy enough to come by.

Exams kick off from the 7th I think. I wouldn't bank on easy parking as the library will be chock a block usually. Give yourself plenty of time would be my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

It's usually still busy enough during revision week in terms of parking. If it's a big conference, oftentimes they'll have designated parking and they block off the two closest carparks to O'Reilly hall. It's pain for the rest of us if they do but it'll be handy for you. Try to find out if that's the case this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Victoria. wrote: »
    If it's a big conference, oftentimes they'll have designated parking and they block off the two closest carparks to O'Reilly hall. It's pain for the rest of us if they do but it'll be handy for you. Try to find out if that's the case this time.

They did that last week for the Bank of Ireland AGM. Mercs and BMWs everywhere. A big two-fingers to students who paid for permits.

I've been on campus a few times this week and it's busy enough, but there were still a good few spaces available at midday.

Advertisement