Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What state would you live in if you won the diversity lottery and why?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Megahead wrote: »
    Somewhere along the appalachian range, Virginia or Maine would be lovely. Although the West coast is very appealing too!

Virgina would appeal more to me than Maine.

But if you're gonna live in Virgina the argument on distance to Ireland goes out the window it be just as many connecting flights away so may as well go further west if that's what you're into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Maine is stunningly beautiful, especially in the Autumn. (I'm there every October.) However, it gets very harsh winters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I lived in Park Slope (Brooklyn) for the last year and a half and loved it. Sure its expensive but wages matched it for me so it was fine. I loved how busy and fast paced NY is but I wouldn't retire there. I lived in Chicago a few Summers and loved the place and was back there 7 times since last summer, I prefer New York now but Chicago is a beautiful spot. Snow does become annoying after a while but not to the point that I wanted to move. I moved to Toronto a fortnight ago and while I like it, its not New York. I'd be back there in New York in the morning if I won the greencard. Its closer to home but also far enough that I'm not in Ireland seeing the usual headcases. My move to Toronto might be brief and heading to Vancouver but I would rather stay this side , the fly time to Ireland from Vancouver puts me off it and the 4 odd hours to NY but we'll see. New Jersey wouldn't be too bad either. Heres to hoping they draw my name this year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,038 ✭✭✭✭cena

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    I lived in Park Slope (Brooklyn) for the last year and a half and loved it. Sure its expensive but wages matched it for me so it was fine. I loved how busy and fast paced NY is but I wouldn't retire there. I lived in Chicago a few Summers and loved the place and was back there 7 times since last summer, I prefer New York now but Chicago is a beautiful spot. Snow does become annoying after a while but not to the point that I wanted to move. I moved to Toronto a fortnight ago and while I like it, its not New York. I'd be back there in New York in the morning if I won the greencard. Its closer to home but also far enough that I'm not in Ireland seeing the usual headcases. My move to Toronto might be brief and heading to Vancouver but I would rather stay this side , the fly time to Ireland from Vancouver puts me off it and the 4 odd hours to NY but we'll see. New Jersey wouldn't be too bad either. Heres to hoping they draw my name this year!
    By any chance did you ever eat a place called barebruger? Its in park slope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

I lived in the Bay Area for a few years, and it's probably past it's sell by date. It must have been heaven, like most of California, when less populated but now its a spread out continuous suburb interrupted by an occasional strip mall or Main Street. San Francisco is nice but has its problems too. And is unaffordable.

I liked Montana a lot but it's isolated of course. Austin seems like the new cool gentrifying spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

cena wrote: »

By any chance did you ever eat a place called barebruger? Its in park slope
    Not the one in Park Slope no, met a friend in the one in Williamsburg a few weeks ago, first time eating there- I didn't even know there was one near me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Santa Barbara.

Nice climate, not too hot / cold
    Beautiful scenery
    Plenty of nice bars / restaurants
    Laid back atmosphere
    Pretty low crime rate
    Smallish population - people will nod at you / say hello on the street

Not cheap though!

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    Not the one in Park Slope no, met a friend in the one in Williamsburg a few weeks ago, first time eating there- I didn't even know there was one near me

My cousin is the manager there. In park slope. A family member is part owner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

If I had my choice and money it would be Balboa Island, Irvine, California. Beautiful place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

mad m wrote: »
    If I had my choice and money it would be Balboa Island, Irvine, California. Beautiful place.

I'd join ya!! I loved my week there.

• Advertisement

I won't be going anywhere this year.:(

Based on the information provided, the Entry HAS NOT BEEN SELECTED for further processing for the Electronic Diversity Visa program at this time.

Is that hope? Does the status change?

jme2010 wrote: »
    Based on the information provided, the Entry HAS NOT BEEN SELECTED for further processing for the Electronic Diversity Visa program at this time.

Is that hope? Does the status change?

I really don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭myate

I won't be going anywhere permanent this year either! A 3 week road trip Cali-Colorado is booked though to ease the pain!
    Does the status change? Reading this site http://britsimonsays.com/
    it sometimes does, but its rare. But still worth checking over the summer/autumn.

myate wrote: »
    I won't be going anywhere permanent this year either! A 3 week road trip Cali-Colorado is booked though to ease the pain!

That's all we can do. I have a 3-4 week NYC to Miami Keys road trip planned.

Just wish I could have used the money saved for that on relocation costs instead :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I'd join ya!! I loved my week there.

was lucky enough to have 2 trips there and stayed 3 weeks at a time but did travel around a bit while there, Utah Zion was one place. Brother in law was living there at the time so free accommodation.

Did you get the Balboa frozen banana dipped in hot chocolate and then in nuts! Nom Nom Nom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭McSween

I lived in Jacksonville, Fl on a (mature) graduate visa with my wife. We loved it but the food is awful compared to home.

I love the South, country and all that so I imagine west Florida which gives excellent access to Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi as well as the coast but I love pools. We were in a western store in Dallas in January and I tried on first pair of cowboy boots. If I lived there of course I'd buy them. I loved how country music was everywhere in those states. A good airport is essential too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

mad m wrote: »
    was lucky enough to have 2 trips there and stayed 3 weeks at a time but did travel around a bit while there, Utah Zion was one place. Brother in law was living there at the time so free accommodation.

Did you get the Balboa frozen banana dipped in hot chocolate and then in nuts! Nom Nom Nom

I was staying with a family in Costa Mesa for the week. Was driving from there to MacArthur Boulevard and back to Bob Henry park every morning and it was just so pleasant! Took two evenings to go to Newport Beach. Ashamed to say I didn't try the Balboa Bar. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

South Jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Arizona would be a bad choice if you can not handle excessively hot weather. It's one thing going somewhere toasty on your holliers. It's another thing entirely, when you have to live your day to day life in it.
    Getting petrol when it's 120F is actual torture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Getting petrol when it's 120F is actual torture.

Yeah, but it's a dry heat. :p

Try carrying the groceries in from the car (when you live on the 3rd floor of an apt building with no lift) in 95% humidity in Georgia.

That'll put hairs on yer chest !

Advertisement