Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VIN and reg question

• 19-04-2016 5:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

Wondering should I be worried?

Getting parts from a main dealer and I provided my VIN to ensure parts correct.

Dealer sent me a mail with a parts numbers pdf and diagram

Pdf has my Vin correct but another Reg. I input the reg on the dealer pdf and it corresponds with a model like mine but 4 years older.

Heres what I have:

My vin on registration document and my exact correct Reg.
    I've been through at least 6 Ncts and all was fine.

Just a bit uneasy how my VIN throws up a car same model and colour but not my car.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

I'd be a bit uneasy too.... I'm not sure how much you'd want to dig into this, I can't see it being to your advantage

Getting the right parts might be a problem if you don't know exactly what is wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Put the reg on your car into ncts site and cartell and see does it come back matching your car - first check
    Check chassis number on car versus chassis number in reg cert
    You could do paid history check - this would allow you to check your chassis number versus the chassis number your reg should have incase your reg cert is dodgy.
    If all checks out, you are grand.
    Dealer might have just been using some sort of trick on his system or you could have a cloned car.
    What type of car and was it by any chance a repaired write off when you bought it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

mickdw wrote: »
    Put the reg on your car into ncts site and cartell and see does it come back matching your car
    It checks out alright, as it does on several sites. But I'm uneasy as this just proves that a car existed with my reg and my vin - doesn't mean that is the car I have.
    Check chassis number on car versus chassis number in reg cert.
    Yep, that checks out, I double checked yesterday but was careful when buying the car.
    You could do paid history check - this would allow you to check your chassis number versus the chassis number your reg should have incase your reg cert is dodgy.
    Haven't done that yet because I've the car 7 years. It is absolutely sound in every mechanical way. There is no reason to believe the vehicle was ever in a crash. I did contact the previous owner ( a female minor celebrity :)) and she was adamant it was her car and she'd traded it in the week I bought it. But she was the 2nd owner.
    Dealer might have just been using some sort of trick on his system or you could have a cloned car.

I'm going to talk to the lad in the parts dept and hope to get an answer re the bold part - as for the cloned bit, I'll cross that bridge when I run out of options.

Thanks for the advise, gives me more to think about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

I'd be a bit uneasy too.... I'm not sure how much you'd want to dig into this, I can't see it being to your advantage

Getting the right parts might be a problem if you don't know exactly what is wrong.
    Thanks.

Parts won't bea problem. Both regs check out same model exactly.

As for not being to my advantage, I'm thinking the same. Given I have the car 7 years and I spoke to the previous owner who had it 3 years I would think that it may be best to let sleeping dogs lie. I will find out as much as I can because if I find nothing is amiss I'll be happier.

Advertisement