Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote Storage Heaters

Options
  • 19-04-2016 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Hi oh wise people. I have a holiday home heated by storage heaters.
    When we go down it takes a day or two for the house to heat up.
    Is there any gsm switch that I could use to switch them on the day before I travel?
    I assume I leave them on and let the contactor switch on at night but only have them energised if the gsm switch is on?

Thanks
    Pat

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Yes there is such a device. They are frequently used to open electric gates. You ring the device and the gates activate. This means that zappers are not required, anyone with a mobile phone that knows the number can open the gates. Ask in a good electrical wholesaler and they should be able to guide you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Look at heatmiser.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Thanks for the replies. I bought one to control a pump in an outhouse in a separate location and it works great.
    My question is what way to wire it? I presume it goes on the supply to the contactor? Would the ampage be too much?

I just found this: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/30-amp-2-Switch-GSM-Remote-Control-Relay-/200597872557?hash=item2eb4909fad

30amp switch. Would that be sufficient? I am not near the house to see what the contactor is rated at.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Pataman wrote: »
    I just found this: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/30-amp-2-Switch-GSM-Remote-Control-Relay-/200597872557?hash=item2eb4909fad

30amp switch. Would that be sufficient? I am not near the house to see what the contactor is rated at.

Even 6A would be more than enough.

All you do is get the GSM module to switch a contactor that in turn brings on the supply to the storage heaters which are in turn controlled by the exiting time clock / stat(s). The contactor must be rated for the entire load.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Its wired in series between the timer switched live and the relay of the contactor.
    many thanks Guys

Advertisement