Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stella Cinema Rathmines

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Revamp looks like it has started. I walked by this afternoon and the sound of heavy machinery was deafening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

MrMorooka wrote: »
    To be honest I think opening it up again as a cinema is a bad move, it will just be out-competed by the Swan and will die a death. There's not enough demand to have two cinemas running in the area.

It looks like it will be a bar/restaurant that happens to be a cinema. They won't be in the same market. This cinema won't be hoping to get students on a €5 ticket deal. The clientele going to the Stella won't be the same as going to the Swan.

Look at how incredibly well the IFI does off the bar/resturant in it. There is no good niche cinema on the southside of the city. If the lighthouse can do well in Smithfield, then I imagine this cinema will do very well in Rathmines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

I have vague recollections of going here to me Da's work Christmas party for the children in the 80's one morning.

Also, is this the place that showed The Rocky Horror for years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

[QUOTE=SteoL;102357313...
    Also, is this the place that showed The Rocky Horror for years?[/QUOTE]
    No.
    The Classic Harold's Cross showed the Rocky Horror for years.

For all the naysayers on this thread, remember the SCREEN in Hawkins Street / Townsend street has shut.

So yeah, another niche cinema to take it's place in Rathmines can take the custom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭boobycharlton

Will probably follow the route of the Everyman cinemas in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Was this place related to Stella in mt. merrion

Pretty sure it was and AFAIK the operators name was O'Grady

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

The last cinema I was in where they'd have to change the reel.

Great news that it's reopening.

Speedsie wrote: »
    The last cinema I was in where they'd have to change the reel.

Great news that it's reopening.

Also the last cinema where there was an intermission in the film "so patrons could go and buy refreshments at the counter"

...so the reel could be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

They mentioned in the independent its owned by a property and ultimately going to be turned into a boutique hotel. So I imagine this is just going to be a short term thing. There are also a new cinema under construction/about to start behind the barge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭heraldo

Nodster wrote: »
    Pretty sure it was and AFAIK the operators name was O'Grady

That's right, went to school years ago with his son, James O' Grady

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

irishguy wrote: »
    They mentioned in the independent its owned by a property and ultimately going to be turned into a boutique hotel. So I imagine this is just going to be a short term thing.

It was not reported in any paper. The only reference I can see it being turned into a hotel is from an estate agent.

They might be sticking a cinema elsewhere on the site, but you would not spend possibly millions on refurbishing a cinema to it into a hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

So I managed a sneak peak around the inside today, some serious works going on in there.
    Plans are for a luxury Cinema set up with approx 100 armchair seater with tables, also a bar and small restaurant.
    Brought back memories walking around. Most of the beautifut timber panelling on the ceiling is still intact and hopefully being kept and restored to former glory.
    Still a good way from completion, but its getting there.

Advertisement