Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Started my first Gaming PC build. (Bit by bit)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Blackgator

Skerries wrote:
    you'd probably notice but have you checked the voltage on the back of the psu is set to 220 and not 110?

There is no switch to change voltage. Its says 200-240V on back of it.

Gonna build it outside on case and see what happens.
    What's the minimum I need to connect to get PC to POST
    I'll post pictures of MB in a minute

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

CPU, PSU and RAM

I just connected pins 6 & 8 (power switch pins) and system powered on. I'll put it all back in case and see if I can figure out where I went wrong, or could be a problem with power switch itself.

EDIT: System is built and powered up. Power button wouldn't work.
    USB ports and LEDs on front panel are all working but power button is not.

Is there something stupid I missed or does it sound like a faulty power button?

Thanks for all you help guys. Really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

If the switch does turn out to be fecked in the case, it is an easy fix. Grab a "push to make" switch: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/red-push-to-make-switch-n01ar
    Should be available in your nearest maplins. Connect up the wires (can use the case ones or just use new ones) and that'll do it for now. Can work on fixing the case eventually when you have time.

Have PC working now apart from the power button. I disconnected the wires from button and left the sticking out the side of the case so I can hotwire it when I need to start it.
    It will do until I get a soldering iron to fix it permanently.

Just like to thank everyone who posted here helping me. I wouldn't have had the confidence to assemble the PC or even pick the parts.
    Great advice on the SSD, the thing starts up super fast.
    Thanks a million guys, I can't wait to download a few games and put my new toy to the test.

Cheers

• Advertisement

PC is running great, but I'm a little unhappy with the visuals in games. I'm not to obsessed with fps, but draw distance and textures look poor. I want higher setting and lower fps.
    Was thinking of upgrading my graphics card (750ti). Would a R9 380 be worth upgrading to? Could maybe get around e100 for my card and add e100 to it for upgrade.
    What you guys think? R9 380 a good upgrade or should I look at GTX 960 or others?

(Will my cpu [i3 6100] be okay with a GPU upgrade?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Yes it is, just to be sure though, what games are you running into issues with? I would recommend waiting to see how this new 480 works out. Sounds pretty good so far for pretty cheap.

Playing Ark, ARMA, and Hero's & Generals.
    ARK looks awful and runs at just over 30fps, ARMA 3 is okay and Hero's & Generals runs great.
    Didn't know about the 480, just googled it and it looks good. Think I'll hold out for that.

Looks like GPU price war is on!

In fairness and i3 and 750Ti is an entry level machine

Yeah, that's what I thought I wanted, turns out I didn't. Need something a bit more capable.

Gonna sell my 750ti, would it be worth selling the i3 as well and upgrading? Would like to avoid doing that if I can.

(Seen guy selling MSI 750ti on Adverts for E130 second hand. I only paid E120 for it new. Maybe I can get a good bit back from it)

• Advertisement

If you wanna run ARK well then yeah, an i5. Wait for the 480 before upgrading card anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The 750Ti is a very decent card considering the price point. You also have to remember that ARK is horribly optimised, it runs like garbage on almost everything. I didn't have a great time with it with an i7 and R9 290 the last time I played it.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

As long as the ARK devs are going under a lawsuit to see who deserves % of the IP from their older company, we won't see great optimisations for PC.
    So long as other games run fine (for an entry level system) then it's ok. ARK just runs like it's asmathic.

Advertisement