Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aluclad windows from Poland

Options
  • 19-04-2016 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I know there have been different threads about this subject, but I'm in the middle of rebuilding from scratch a 1920's house in Dublin city and is time to order new windows.
    I come across with this company from Poland named POZBUD, they claim to be one of the oldest joinery in Poland and they produce different style windows, entrance doors, etc.
    Has anybody heard of them or any experience ?
    Received the offer from them, very good price, including delivery to Ireland.

Thinking to go to Poland and see the product in reality, is it worth it ?

Any comments will be much appreciated. For details about the company or price I will send them via PM.

NB.
    If I had broken any rules of the forum, please delete as appropriate and apologies to the moderators.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 codrutz

Forgot to mention, I'm looking for oak frame only.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Wadpie

I wouldn't recommend importing windows and doors. Countless times been called to fix imported windows and doors, and parts are either crazy money, hard to find, take weeks to be delivered or all of the above. Buy irish or uk. It could be 1 year it could be 10. Parts will break.

Even warranty wise, what if something major goes wrong with them. They might be cheaper now, but in the long term imagine the headaches. Buy irish. Munter joinery, Rationel and velfac would be where I would start. But there a lot of smaller companies doing aluclad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

Wadpie wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend importing windows and doors. Countless times been called to fix imported windows and doors, and parts are either crazy money, hard to find, take weeks to be delivered or all of the above. Buy irish or uk. It could be 1 year it could be 10. Parts will break.

Even warranty wise, what if something major goes wrong with them. They might be cheaper now, but in the long term imagine the headaches. Buy irish. Munter joinery, Rationel and velfac would be where I would start. But there a lot of smaller companies doing aluclad

but they pluck the figures out of their behind compared to elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

but they pluck the figures out of their behind compared to elsewhere

Figures aren't the problem with aluclad. Their unsuitability for a damp muggy climate such as ours is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

listermint wrote: »
    Figures aren't the problem with aluclad. Their unsuitability for a damp muggy climate such as ours is.

OP you need to consider this issue.
    There is also a potential issue with not having them install them, you may not have a useful warranty.

I always insist on the maker fitting what they make, causes a lot of angst with some builders..

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭chooseusername

OP you need to consider this issue.
    There is also a potential issue with not having them install them, you may not have a useful warranty.

I always insist on the maker fitting what they make, causes a lot of angst with some builders..
    Sound advise , but a bit too late now, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Wadpie wrote: »

Well I wont name names but some of the big Irish brands have horrendous reputations for customer service. Now I am not the final authority, but I felt there was a general agreement out there that all of the best makes are non Irish or indeed non UK. That been said this does not apply to traditional solid timber SG or DG windows which are still made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

the mark ups are pure greed, add external wall insulation and i was quoted 55k for walls and windows. can't see where it goes at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭fatty pang

What's 'aluclad' ?

What if any is your competence with regard to windows ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Well I wont name names but some of the big Irish brands have horrendous reputations for customer service. Now I am not the final authority, but I felt there was a general agreement out there that all of the best makes are non Irish or indeed non UK. That been said this does not apply to traditional solid timber SG or DG windows which are still made.

This is nonsense spouted by diyers and Facebook cottage renovation experts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

So you are saying that Irish traditional window makers are poor quality or what?

fatty pang wrote: »
    What's 'aluclad' ?

What if any is your competence with regard to windows ?

I'm not bothered answering this because of your snarky question.

What's aluclad. .... Pfft.

Which part ?

Some of the major brands in his market are well known for absymal customer service. In and out jobs and short lived products.

There are housing estates dotted all over the country built within the last 12 years with windows that a defective and poor quality.

It is and was still a thing to exclude metal core from uPVC frames...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

If anyone feels a post is contrary to the forum charter, just report the post.

Otherwise please attack the post not the poster, thanks

BryanF wrote: »
    If anyone feels a post is contrary to the forum charter, just report the post.

Otherwise please attack the post not the poster, thanks

Tbf. I said the question was snarky.

Not once in my entire post did I say anything about the poster.

At

All. Per rules !

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭fatty pang

That’s your prerogative, as it is for any observer to discount your opinion if you can’t demonstrate you know what you are pontificating about
    There are various different window constructions that are described as ‘aluclad’. One such construction widely sold here would have a upvc core with aluminium cladding. I’m curious why you would imply a “damp muggy climate such as ours” has an adverse effect on such a window.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

So you are saying that Irish traditional window makers are poor quality or what?

How did you get that from what i posted, theres plenty independent manufacturers and some of the bigger ones have good quality products, I'm building over 20 years using one of the biggest manufacturers and rarely have any issues, i regularly see a narrative usually from diyers and people who get most of their info from clowns on Facebook, its opinions formed from no experience other than nonsense heard from someone else

Advertisement