Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cert renewal failure

Options
  • 19-04-2016 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Has anybody in North Meath run in to difficulties with firearm cert renewals. I lodged my renewal in late January for certs expiring on 18 April.In the interim my security arrangements were reinspected and approved. Despite a number of attempts to contact the relevant FLO I received what could politely be described as the brush off.
    I lodged my firearms with an RFD last saturday before my certs expired. I would like to contact the Superintendent with a view to complaining about the situation. Is there a way of finding out if there has been a glitch in the procedure, although sadly I think I am the victim of inefficiency. Can I expect to be contacted regarding my unlicensed state?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

If they are just being slow in processing the application I'd say you needn't fear a knock on the door from the lads looking to confiscate your guns.

OTOH if it's a glitch or the paperwork is gone missing, you might pop up as unlicensed.

Ring them up asap I'd say and find out what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ionh

I have a trip to UK in May and I need to renew my NI and UK certs so I was in to the barracks several times. I know from one of his replies that 2 months after I lodged my renewal forms they were still on his desk. '' There's a pile of them . I must get on to them''.
    I was in about two weeks ago and he wouldn't speak to me.
    My host in UK can go into his local police and get me a visitors cert on one of his rifles provided I can send him my EFP - but that renewal is sitting on the FLO's desk as well. ( Being UK licensed gives me more freedom than the 'estate rifle facility').
    There used to be a way of contacting Phoenix Park which used to get results as they did not like being shown up by their colleagues. Has anybody any recent experience of this?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Welcome to the forum.

Go to the station and "demand" to see the FO, a Sargeant or the Super. Demand meaning politely but firmly. Tell them you submitted your renewals/reapplications within the 3 month time frame and have no received a reply. Tell them you licenses are now expired.

You will no doubt be told "sure your grand". DO NOT accept this. Tell them you're not grand, you now have unlicensed firearms, and (without being a dick) they don't have the authority to override the Firearms Act and grant you an extension.

Remind them you done your part, and now need them to do their part.

You can do all this politely while still getting your annoyance across. Don't swear, don't be aggressive, etc. It's a fine line, so thread it carefully.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Thanks for the advice Cass. I would like to push my case as I feel I have followed correct procedure, including lodging my firearms with an RFD before expiry.
    Sorry for not posting in the right place. Thanks for the welcome - I've been a viewer for a while.

The 3 month time frame the Gardaí gave themselves was not pulled out of thin air. It was designed to allow them enough time to process applications regardless of amount.

The problems arise when they abuse this. They start the clock from the moment they begin to process the application. Its why, like yourself and many others, you hear nothing for weeks/months then you get receipt, grant, license all within a week or so. Its also why they can claim that 90% (or whatever figure they claim it is) of applications are processed within the legal time frame.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 VBull

I think Cass has hit the nail on the head in his replies and it would be same way i would approach the Gardai if i were in your position.

If you do get no where or fobbed off the as you mention i would be taking it further and contacting the Firearm Policy Unit in Dublin.

Their numbers are (01) 6661911 or (01) 6661916, it will be the Sargent you will want to speak with but i cannot think of their names right now (there are 2 of them)

I wonder how your FO or Super would react if asked who you should send the bill for storage of your firearms to.

VBull wrote: »
    ....... but i cannot think of their names right now (there are 2 of them).....
    Paul Green and Tim O'Mahony.

Well the grants arrived on Wednesday morning - date of issue 17 April (Sunday) which happens to be day before expiry. Went straight to post office to pay. Hopefully -the (S) will be on the certs, - and the station process my EFP.
    Then it's forward application to PSNI and UK. May with my own rifle is bunched, but I have a bucket list trip to the Hebrides in September. Five days to bag trout, grouse and a stag.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭hermes2011

the s can be a problem even if you had it did you make copys off your paper work they can mess you about with that

Advertisement