Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Age card

• 19-04-2016 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Just want to know how long does it take to get a garda age card, seeing some old threads saying it took them like 4 months just want to know if this still happens. Just want to know how long it takes in total to get the letter to bring to the garda station and then the age card itself. Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Planning some of your first legal drinking OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Are these still a thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

New entry in at number 6, 'Just want to know' by J98.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Just get one of the new electric passports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Do kids not make their own Id's anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ItssDylannnn

Mine came in about 2-3 weeks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,441 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Why can't we have a national ID Card like civilised folk?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭J98

Yeah I wanted to know cause ordering one in the morning and would like to have it around the start of May, and yeah there still a thing most places in town only accept these now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

You'll be oul enough for long enough, young wan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

kneemos wrote: »

Because we don't live in Nazi Germany that's why

Papier bitte

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭nerobert

me_irl wrote: »

Sir, you have made my night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,677 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I applied for mine in 2011 I think. To the best of my knowledge I did the online bit on a Saturday and the form came in the post the following Wednesday/Thursday.
    I went to the Garda station on Saturday morning and it arrived in the post on the following Thursday. I also heard all the stories about it taking months/weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

kneemos wrote: »
    Because we don't live in Nazi Germany that's why

Papier bitte

Well known fact that the Nazis invented ID cards (they didnt!)

Mainland europe mostly have national ID cards, . We are the odd ones out and we are worse off for it. Its not as if we dont get asked for id, we do. All the ****ing time, a national credit card sized card would not make one iots of difference to your freedom, just your convenience instead of having to grab your passport constantly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

esforum wrote: »
    Well known fact that the Nazis invented ID cards (they didnt!)

Mainland europe mostly have national ID cards, . We are the odd ones out and we are worse off for it. Its not as if we dont get asked for id, we do. All the ****ing time, a national credit card sized card would not make one iots of difference to your freedom, just your convenience instead of having to grab your passport constantly

We need an all-in-one card - ID, driving licence, Public Services, medical card etc. However, we need computer systems that actually talk to each other to get all those to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Plastic melts.

What you gonna do
    When they come for ...

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭Esel

They're still a thing.

7 years later and I still need to carry the damn thing with me to buy alcohol in Lidl.

Enjoy that. Later, you will look younger earlier.

Not your ornery onager

FanadMan wrote: »
    We need an all-in-one card - ID, driving licence, Public Services, medical card etc. However, we need computer systems that actually talk to each other to get all those to work.

way too much opposition in Ireland for this, there was a thread giving out about the department of education keeping information on childrens schools and mental impairments (if any) for gods sake

FYI, I think the national ID card in most countries is an all in one except passport and drivers license. I know in Italy and Spain the card number was also your passport number but the EU said nope, you need to seperate for security purposes.

Drivers license could be a tricky one to implement

• Advertisement

Esel wrote: »
    Enjoy that. Later, you will look younger earlier.

how do you look younger earlier?

Surely you look youngest at birth? Cant get earlier than that! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Just get a passport and then the new passport card to bring out with you. If you can past the "take a photo on the app" part it's quick and easy. And most likely you'll need the passport or passport card at some point to travel.

Just get a passport and then the new passport card to bring out with you. If you can past the "take a photo on the app" part it's quick and easy. And most likely you'll need the passport or passport card at some point to travel.

pricey aul business though, 35 just for the card ffs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I got mine in 2006, I still have to carry it because I get ID'd every time I shave my beard off.

The printers received the application form from the garda station today, does anyone know would there be any chance of having it for Saturday night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

Haha fair enough so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,677 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

J98 wrote: »
    The printers received the application form from the garda station today, does anyone know would there be any chance of having it for Saturday night?

Going on my experience you should have a good chance!

Yeah I hope so! If all goes well they will send the card out tomorrow or Wednesday hopefully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

People who are born in 1998 can be 18 now. Jesus Christ I feel old. Won't be long till the 2000's are adults now.

I got mine very quickly OP but others have taken weeks. Never heard of months though. Think it mostly depends on how busy the Garda station is. Or how lazy the staff are.

Advertisement