Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacement engine - worth it?

• 19-04-2016 10:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭

Folks,

Bit of a disaster over the weekend - timing belt snapped on my VW Golf (2008, 1.9TDi, 100k miles). Car was well serviced, timing belt changed at the recommended interval, so it seems to be plain bad luck.

Anyway I'm looking for some opinions on the options which await me:

1. Replacement (used) engine, €1200 approx. Hard to know how relaible it'll be afterwards. Might attempt to sell it on.

2. Was offered €2k for the car as it stands. Reckon I could push it up a bit but not sure how much.

Living and working up North, where the car was worth about £3.5k to 4k. Worth a fair bit more (9k) down here!

So.. what's the best option here? See can I get a bit more for the car as it stands and run?

All opinions welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

If it's a €9k car when it's working and it's a €2k car when it's not and the repair bill is €1200, I think you've answered your own question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭onrail

If it's a €9k car when it's working and it's a €2k car when it's not and the repair bill is €1200, I think you've answered your own question.

On the face of it, maybe - but what's resale likely to be on a car that has had a replacement engine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Toyotafanboi has pretty much hit the nail on the head but I'll ask this anyway. For how much longer did you intend on keeping it before this happened ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

onrail wrote: »
    On the face of it, maybe - but what's resale likely to be on a car that has had a replacement engine?

Source a good engine (hear it running). Have the supplier fit it, and get a written guarantee. Pay a £1,000 premium for this.

After all that, it's Caveat Emptor.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Replacement engine off a reputable source and away you go.

Out of curiosity was the Golf owned by you since new?

• Advertisement

166man wrote: »
    Out of curiosity was the Golf owned by you since new?

No - bought it at 56k miles, roughly 3 years ago. Given that the failure occurred at only 100k miles, it's hard not to be suspicious of any mechanics I've had working on it since buying. I mean - who knows if the timing belt was changed at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

No - bought it at 56k miles, roughly 3 years ago. Given that the failure occurred at only 100k miles, it's hard not to be suspicious of any mechanics I've had working on it since buying. I mean - who knows if the timing belt was changed at all!

Or it was simply clocked at 56k miles. The car could have been a 95k mile car at that point and snapping was inevitable. Did the belt snap itself or was there a seized pulley that caused it to snap?

I doubt the mechanics have anything to do with it though. Unless they wanted to cut the belt with a saw to do it on purpose I don't see them going anywhere near the timing belt area during other work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

A 5 year old diesel golf with 56k miles (UK import?) would set alarm bells ringing for me.

Did you get a history check and a verified history with the car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Folks,

Bit of a disaster over the weekend - timing belt snapped on my VW Golf (2008, 1.9TDi, 100k miles). Car was well serviced, timing belt changed at the recommended interval, so it seems to be plain bad luck.

Anyway I'm looking for some opinions on the options which await me:

1. Replacement (used) engine, €1200 approx. Hard to know how relaible it'll be afterwards. Might attempt to sell it on.

2. Was offered €2k for the car as it stands. Reckon I could push it up a bit but not sure how much.

Living and working up North, where the car was worth about £3.5k to 4k. Worth a fair bit more (9k) down here!

So.. what's the best option here? See can I get a bit more for the car as it stands and run?

All opinions welcome!
    9k in a garage maybe, not a hope with a replacement engine in a private sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

A 5 year old diesel golf with 56k miles (UK import?) would set alarm bells ringing for me.

Bit late to be asking this tbh, and doesn't help the op now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Bit late to be asking this tbh, and doesn't help the op now

Well the OP thinks the mechanics working on the car after he bought it has caused this because there is no reason for the belt to snap prematurely UNLESS it was clocked. So I think he is asking the right questions :confused:

Living in NI, so bought it from a local dealer up there. Both previous owners were relatively local and had urban addresses, so there was nothing too alarming.

Out of curiosity - it there any way to back check this? Not worth a jot to me now, but it'd be good to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Even if the car wasn't clocked, would the timing belt really only need replacing every 160k km / 8 years?

I reckon the car as is would be worth a lot more than €2k. With replacement engine maybe €5k - €6k. If it was mine I would be happy to let it go for €3.5k cash. And let the new owner worry about paying for the DMF that's about to fail :pac:

shietpilot wrote: »
    Well the OP thinks the mechanics working on the car after he bought it has caused this because there is no reason for the belt to snap prematurely UNLESS it was clocked. So I think he is asking the right questions :confused:

I don't "think" anything, but just trying to explore the possibilities that led to this - easy to point the finger of blame elsewhere when angry/fustrated!

Recovery driver said he had never seen such a case in a model of that mileage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Folks,

Bit of a disaster over the weekend - timing belt snapped on my VW Golf (2008, 1.9TDi, 100k miles). Car was well serviced, timing belt changed at the recommended interval,
    What year/ mileage was it changed at? During your ownership?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

First things first, it wasn't a 9k car down here. 2 years ago maybe but nowadays it's definitely not.

A 1.9 engine replacement should cost no more than €1200 even including labour. Engines are 10 a penny and it's a straightforward swap.

What year/ mileage was it changed at? During your ownership?

70k roughly - during my ownership

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

70k roughly - during my ownership
    Well, whether it was clocked or not before you got it, I guess there's three possibilities here in my laymans opinion.
    1) Poor work fitting belt - over tensioned belt or didn't torque something up properly. Been there. Caught before things went fatal.
    2) Poor quality materials used.
    3) Cheapest option done - belt only, or the very barest minimum of other components done. Tensioner or something else fails rather than the belt, end result is the same. Been there.

Advertisement