Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cables for public charging points

• 19-04-2016 10:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭

I just got a 2012 Prius Plug-in (UK import) and it only came with a charging cable for domestic 13A sockets.

The car has a Type 1 connector, and I believe most the ESB charging points are Type 2 - so do I just need a Type 1 to Type 2 cable, or is there more to it than that? Any recommendations for where to get cables from?

The charger is rated for 230V 10A.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mundogas

Yep, type 1 to type 2 cable will do the job. You will need to get cards to start the ESB chargers also. Theevcompany.ie sell cables. They are in Kildare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I guess I need to get the car registered before I can apply for the ESB card (VRT inspection is in a couple of weeks).

What kind of length cable would you recommend for public charging?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭zoom_cool

I guess I need to get the car registered before I can apply for the ESB card (VRT inspection is in a couple of weeks).

No you can Send them a email with your invoice form the garage you purchased it from the UK and they will accept that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Is it not tied to the vehicle registration in any way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Evcables.co.uk have good pricing on type 1 to type2 and will make them to any specific length

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mundogas

I'd say 5 meter cable should be enough. 3 meter ones tend to be a short. Some go for 10 meter but mainly that's due to driving BEV, they are good but take up more space and are a little harder to coil up. PHEV is not as critical if you can't charge for some reason but with BEV a 10 meter cable can get you out of a pinch if charger is blocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭zoom_cool

Is it not tied to the vehicle registration in any way?

Nope it's only a RFID card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭mr.dunkey

I just got a 2012 Prius Plug-in (UK import) and it only came with a charging cable for domestic 13A sockets.

The car has a Type 1 connector, and I believe most the ESB charging points are Type 2 - so do I just need a Type 1 to Type 2 cable, or is there more to it than that? Any recommendations for where to get cables from?

The charger is rated for 230V 10A.

An irish supplier sells these
    A Prius Plug In Would be the same as a Nissan LEAF cable, same connectors.
    Available in 5 and 10 meters from www.theEVcompany.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

zoom_cool wrote: »
    Nope it's only a RFID card

yes but on registration your VIN/Reg is submitted to the ESB is it not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭mr.dunkey

To Apply for an ESB card, you must
    1, prove you own an EV, Log book, or receipt
    2, Show proof of residence

That is all, Doesn't matter if the car has no Irish registration

• Advertisement
Advertisement