Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of change...

Options
  • 20-04-2016 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭

Looking for options as I haven't really been keeping on top of my HTPC & feel it's not running as well as it could be.

A few years ago I bought a HP Microserver. I stuck a satellite receiver card in it & have an aerial receiver too.
    It's running Windows Media Centre on Windows 7 but lately it's been laggy. I could upgrade to Windows 10 but then I'd lose WMC.

For all the haters of WMC out there it's the best series record offering out there.
    You tell it to record a program and even if the time changes it'll still record it. When a new season comes back that you might not have realised WMC will remember & record it for you.

I have some downloaded content that I used to play via WMC but not I just open it in VLC or whatever.

MOD SNIP

I hear of some HTPC users being able to access content from other devices around the house (PCs / iPads / etc) but don't know how to do that.

MOD SNIP

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

All free dodgy streams are near useless for Live TV, IMO.
    I could never recommend them even if they were legal.
    A few years ago I bought a HP Microserver. I stuck a satellite receiver card in it & have an aerial receiver too.
    It's running Windows Media Centre on Windows 7 but lately it's been laggy. I could upgrade to Windows 10 but then I'd lose WMC.

Not being a Win user I don't get this experience.
    I suppose a reinstall is what is required?
    I hear of some HTPC users being able to access content from other devices around the house (PCs / iPads / etc) but don't know how to do that.
    I don't know how you could do it using Windows.
    Otherwise it is very simple using such as Openelec or LibeELEC or some other OS built specifically for the purpose of HTPC.

You could try using one of those running from a USB stick to learn how it works and see if it might suit your needs.
    I doubt any would given your dependence on WMC (WMP?).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

So my suggestions would be
    a. Try running some dedicated HTPC OS from LiveUSB and see how it behaves and if it suits you.
    b. Make plans to reinstall Win 7 ..... maybe recovery/snapshot or something might be sufficient.

(Had multiple edits of previous post to try to get it finished but it failed to accept the above)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

You could try using one of those running from a USB stick to learn how it works and see if it might suit your needs.
    I doubt any would given your dependence on WMC (WMP?).

Thanks for those suggestions - will give them a go.
    It's not that I'm dependent on WMC, it's just that it has the most "wife-friendly" series record option that I know of.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment

@frash,

I've snipped your posts, please read the stickey about subscription to services etc. Asking for info about this (one way or another) or discussing it is a banning offence, take this as a warning. I'm leaving your thread open only because your core topic here is how you might upgrade your HCPC.

Ritz

Advertisement