Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breastfeeding to formula

Options
  • 20-04-2016 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi all

Would really appreciate some advice here

My little girl is 5 months old and has been exclusively breastfed. I haven't pumped and am planning on keeping going until she's the full 6 months and will then introduce solids, while maintaining breastfeeds

In mid-July, I'll be going back to work full time and she'll be 8 months when I go back. She's starting in creche for 3 days and my Mum is going to mind her for 2 days (which is great!)

I'm not going to be in a position to pump when I go back to work but am planning on maintaining breastfeeding until then and ideally I'd like to continue it by giving her maybe morning and night-time feeds when I'm back working.

This means she'll need formula during the day for a few feeds alongside her solids and water etc. I don't have a clue how to go about starting that! I don't know how much to make up of it, what brand to use etc. The actual making of it is fine (I've done that for babies I've looked after) but I don't know how to transition over a breastfed baby and don't want her to go hungry. I have to go to a wedding at the end of June and my Mum will be minding her for the day. I'm coming home that night but was thinking it might be a good idea to start her on the formula for daytime feeds during the week coming up to the wedding so she's a bit used to it then.

Also, I was wondering has anybody just skipped using bottles completely and just used sippy cups for formula? She uses one for water sometimes and seems to be getting the knack of it. Somebody advised me to try to just give her the formula in them straight from the start as it'll avoid having to wean her off the actual bottle again later.

Like I said, all advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

Skipping the formula is an option too. My boy at the same age was fine during the day shift with water and solids, and he fed a couple of times in the morning, and maybe 2 - 3 times at night to make up for it. Half the time if there was pumped milk in the fridge for him, he'd only have a bit of it or none at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭chocfan

Thanks holding-good to know that the water and solids can often be enough

I should have mentioned in my original post that I won't be at home every night once I go back to work-some of my shifts are 24 hours so I will be there for the morning feed and then not again until the following day :(
    I also won't be in a position to pump at work so that won't be an option

It makes me think I'll have to introduce formula in some amount

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

If you started pumping now you may be able to build up a supply of frozen milk as well, it will keep for at least six months. My wife had intended switching to formula after six months with our third child in advance of returning to work but we then discovered our child had multiple food allergies. She ended up having to continue breastfeeding for much longer than planned, and pumped whatever excess she could to make it more manageable.

Note also that if you are still breastfeeding when you return to work and there are no facilities for feeding/expressing, you are entitled to a pro-rata one hour paid leave per day to help facilitate you.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

Aw 24 hour shifts are a different kettle of fish alright chocfan! Doing up a stash now, like ectoraige said, might give you enough to cover those shifts, presuming they are only a few times a month. You'd be amazed though how more independent they are when they are that bit older, it's hard to imagine it now as she is ebf and still dependent on you for every drop, but it's a different ballgame after the 6 month mark, esp after that. Anyway whatever way you go you will both be grand, the best of luck with it, it's a tough time i know!

Thanks for the tips guys

Will have a think about pumping from now-might be the way to go :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

ectoraige wrote: »
    If you started pumping now you may be able to build up a supply of frozen milk as well, it will keep for at least six months. My wife had intended switching to formula after six months with our third child in advance of returning to work but we then discovered our child had multiple food allergies. She ended up having to continue breastfeeding for much longer than planned, and pumped whatever excess she could to make it more manageable.

Note also that if you are still breastfeeding when you return to work and there are no facilities for feeding/expressing, you are entitled to a pro-rata one hour paid leave per day to help facilitate you.

The leave for breastfeeding only applies by law up until baby is 6mths. After that it's at the discretion of your employer.
    I'm back to work in sept, when my boy is 9mths. Am hoping to skip formula altogether, and just feed morning and evening (my baby will be sleeping through the night by then... I've been praying!!). But then, I don't have 24hr shifts to contend with! Good luck!

Edited to add- that article also says you need a steriliser. You don't!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

You could do a but of both so on the days you're on 24hour shift leave formula. The other days a breastfeed in the morning and one or two in the evening would be more than enough nutritionally for an 8 month old. She'll feed more from you when you're around to compensate and as long as you're ok with that it should be fine.

I went back I work, 9-5, when they were 6 months. I didn't pump at work as I really had it the time and we continued to 12 months. It's actually very easy once you get into the routine.

Babies are incredibly resourceful and she'll soon figure out what's happening. As long as you feed on demand when you can she'll be content with that.

Also, I'd avoid introducing bottles and go straight to sippy cups. Start with the sippy cup at mealtimes when you start solids so she gets used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

I was going to say start pumping now while you have a full supply and freeze. At 8 months the baby will only need one bottle in the day and one in the morning and at night or so, so you could totally build up a supply that will keep you going till you introduce cows milk. That being said if you are going to introduce formula, I did when i went back to work once all my frozen breast milk was gone, i would recommend introducing at least one formula bottle a day now adding it slowly to your expressed milk. As in 1 oz of formula to the rest of the bottle being expressed milk then 2 oz a day or so later and so on till you have a full bottle. The last thing you want to be doing is leaving your baby when she isnt fully used to something that could potentially make her sick or whatever. Its especially important to get her used to a bottle too if she has been exclusively breast fed up till now, or as you said the sippy cup should be grand the only thing i found was my baby would literally only sip from a cup and i could never get a decent amount into her and to be honest i have always enjoyed that little moment of calm in the evening when she sits on my lap for a cuddle and her bottle before bed (Shes two and still does it....bad Mammy i know i promise she drinks from a cup the rest of the day :) !!! ). All babies react differently to different things. I was lucky my baby took aptamil grand and as i had already had her daddy giving her one bottle of it at 22:00 a good month or so before i went back to work there was no issue with her tolerating it when she needed a bit more. Best of luck!! The hardest part is going to be for you stopping the breast feeding!! Hardest and saddest decision i had to make so far but once your milk dries up and the hormones settle you feel fine again!!

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions

I think I'm definitely going to try to keep feeding her in the mornings and in the evenings when I'm around. When I'm on 24 hour shifts, my husband will have to give her expressed milk or formula and hopefully my supply will adjust to accommodate those little blips

Sippy cup is going well so hopefully can avoid bottles! Will start expressing and might end up doing a combination of that and formula, will see how it's going

This will obviously all become irrelevant when I win the Euromillions before July and don't have to return to work at all :):)

Advertisement