Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TOP 5 Hiking boots. decisions!

Options
  • 20-04-2016 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Cant decide.. so much amazing gear these days.
    For Ireland/Uk etc... I have had Salomon, amazing but need more support for the hills/mountains.. so this is the list of the worlds most amazing boots! [with a little extra support for difficult terrain] as far as I can see cross referencing...the web and people. The x alp mtn might be the job.. little bit more designed for rocky terrain but is a hybrid. Need 1.Waterproof 2. support and grip. Any 2 cents, throw em in, would appreciate your advice.

1.Scarpa Delta
    2.Salomon quest 4d
    3.Brasher/Berghaus hillmaster 2
    4.Salomon x alp mtn
    5.Meindl Bhutan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

I've had meindl vakuums for over a year now and can't fault them, plenty of support, great grip once broken in a bit, totally waterproof and I've used them scrambling here on boggy ground, winter walking in Scotland, dry summer walks, pretty much a perfect all round walking boot. Only thing I'd say is they are a touch rigid if you are doing a lot of road walking, but everybody hates that anyway;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

I've had meindl vakuums for over a year now and can't fault them, plenty of support, great grip once broken in a bit, totally waterproof and I've used them scrambling here on boggy ground, winter walking in Scotland, dry summer walks, pretty much a perfect all round walking boot. Only thing I'd say is they are a touch rigid if you are doing a lot of road walking, but everybody hates that anyway;)

+1 to this I've used the Meindl Vakuums for over six years and they're a great boot once they're looked after, cleaned and waxed every now and then. Theyre completely waterproof and warm.

For Scotland and colder weather, I use the Meindl Burma Pro, they're slightly heavier, warmer in colder climates and they're more rigid than the Vakuum so they will take a crampon and are good for some scrambling.

I couldn't recommend the Meindl boot highly enough in terms of comfort, the memory foam is amazing (I have very narrow feet and they suit me). Everyone has different preferences though so go try them all on and see what suits your feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

BTW the Burma Pro has recently been replaced with a new model, the Bhutan. You may find the Burma Pro still on sale, but they'll be discontinued stock so you might not fond the size you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Very disappointed with my last pair of Meindl boots, have had to get the soles re-glued 4 times. My wife has also had problems with hers, more through lack of proper care though to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

Hanwag are a top boot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Hanwag are a top boot
    I agree. Not readily available here in Ireland though, and while that wasn't a problem up till now as I simply bought a new pair (Lima GTX) off the net, and they fitted like a glove from day one, the buggers have gone and discontinued that model. The replacement(s) are all a bit too "fussy" for my liking with way too many seams and fiddly bits, so I'll have to look elsewhere for my next pair unfortunately. My wife went for the aforementioned Meindl Bhutans this time, so we'll see how she gets on.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Alancillhill

Thanks a lot, its amazing all the online articles say different things... the salomon 4d quests are a bit sturdier but the soles look cheap.

Tried out some in outdoors shop including whats mentioned here... it's so hard to pick... and tell what might be a pain in the ass after 10k...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

True, the reviews are all over the place. Remember too, that what works well on lovely trails in the U.S. might not work well on the mud and slop we get over here :)

In our hiking club, Meindl are the most used brand, and the Vakuums are very popular amongst the men. The soles are purposely a bit soft however, so you might find them wearing down quickly.

Personally I've found Vibram soles the grippiest on the Wicklow hills. I'd only wear full leather boots in Winter, anything else leaks. In Summer, depending on the terrain and the weather I'd wear lighter boots - they would also be the boots I'd bring overseas. A pair of gaiters makes a big difference too in soft ground or wet conditions.

I currently have Meindl Borneo and Asolo Powermatic 200 GV.

No goretex in the Borneo but no problem with waterproofing as long as you look after them. My preference is for these in the not so cold weather as the gortex may keep the water out but it keeps the heat in. I've walked with these in Tenerife.

The Asolo are a narrow fitting boot in the main but I see from their website that they do a wider fit in some boots.

The grip is excellent on the vast majority of boots that are suitable for Irish terrain. Sure, I've slipped on many an occasion but most of the time it's because I'm getting tired or a temporary lapse in concentration.

The grip on Salomon ones I have ain't no good... really too smooth... think it was an explorer. The Quest 4d is sturdier but doesn't look meaty enough for the mountains, and lasting a few years. Thinking will probably go with Meindl Bhutan...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Phil_the_Dub

For the last two years I have been using the Lowa Renegade GTX boot. In my opinion a very good boot. Should tick all your boxes...The only bit of advise I would give is, whichever shop you are buying your boots, whatever the brand make sure they measure your feet.

thanks for all the feedback . . . have been to a few shops trying on stuff - best advice I can give too, try on a few times and don't be in a hurry to buy... better than having aching feet after 15k...

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭ishotjr2

Hi

North Face Verbera boots.

I put boots through serious punishment, everyday up and down a mountain all conditions. Compared them to my mates boots on long hikes and no doubt the Verbera come out on top.

I just have a sneaking suspicion they are "end of lifed" now. As I could not find them on the north face site.

I am not a brand person at all, but North Face got it right with these.

Actually went with Salomon 4ds . . . they are just so light. Thanks for the discussion, I'm sure others will pick out advice from here.

Advertisement