Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before I'm charged for unauthorised overdraft?

Options
  • 20-04-2016 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi, my account has just gone into overdraft this morning, I can lodge cash by 4pm today, will I still get charged for unauthorised overdraft if I clear it by later today? Thanks!Jill

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

Hi, my account has just gone into overdraft this morning, I can lodge cash by 4pm today, will I still get charged for unauthorised overdraft if I clear it by later today? Thanks!Jill
    Hi Jill, thanks for getting in touch.

If your account is overdrawn and you don’t have an overdraft facility at the moment then interest is charged from the date your account first goes overdrawn until the overdraft has been repaid in full.

Overlimit item charges would also be payable. You can get the full details of the interest rates used and overlimit charges in the T & C’s here (if you take a look at section 13 the info is listed there).

I hope this helps, let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks
    Nicola

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

Hi Jill, thanks for getting in touch.

If your account is overdrawn and you don’t have an overdraft facility at the moment then interest is charged from the date your account first goes overdrawn until the overdraft has been repaid in full.

Overlimit item charges would also be payable. You can get the full details of the interest rates used and overlimit charges in the T & C’s here (if you take a look at section 13 the info is listed there).

I hope this helps, let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks
    Nicola

Is it not illegal to charge for a credit facility that is not requested?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Would have thought by putting charges through the account to put it overdrawn, you were effectively requesting an overdraft?

The alternative is to knowingly bounce a payment, which is illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

cdeb wrote: »
    Would have thought by putting charges through the account to put it overdrawn, you were effectively requesting an overdraft?

The alternative is to knowingly bounce a payment, which is illegal.

I thought there was a case about this. Maybe this was in the uk

Advertisement