Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what does this MRI result mean ??

• 20-04-2016 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

Just looking for a translation of this mumbo jumbo into plain english if anyone is familiar with this sort of thing. (Not looking for medical advice here).

Indication: pain and stiffness knee , reduced range of movement , history of injury.

There is moderate joint effusion.

Imaging of the menisci is normal.

There is evidence of a sprain or partial tear of the ACL with loss of parallelism of fibre bundles and increased signal . Posterior cruciate is normal.

Collateral ligaments normal.

There is a focal area of increased signal 1.1cm transverse diameter in the medial pattellar articular facets with overlying irregularity of the margin of the cartilage consistent with trauma. The other articular surfaces of the knee are normal. Imaging of the ligamentum patallae and quadriceps tendon is normal. No bony abnormality is shown.

Is anyone able to decipher this jargon ? Appreciate it if so .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

The results of MRI scans are set to your doctor, which is how I'm guessing you got the result. So what did you doctor say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

If you were a horse they'd put you down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

dor843088 wrote: »
    Indication: pain and stiffness knee , reduced range of movement , history of injury.

Looks like Knee AIDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

BDJW wrote: »
    The results of MRI scans are set to your doctor, which is how I'm guessing you got the result. So what did you doctor say?

They both posted it to me and sent it to the doctor . Just so happens the post was faster than the doc so I got the results prior to the doctors appointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Looks like Knee AIDS.

Sheeeesh.....the worst kind. :(

• Advertisement

Looks like Knee AIDS.

I ruled that out since I never have unprotected knee flex. Feels like knee aids though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I ruled that out since I never have unprotected knee flex. Feels like knee aids though.

Have you shared sleeves?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

"There is evidence of a sprain or partial tear of the ACL "
    Above would potentialy be the worst out of that Mumbo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    "There is evidence of a sprain or partial tear of the ACL "
    Above would potentialy be the worst out of that Mumbo!

Depending on how physically active you are, this could be very minor.

As they couldn't tell if it was a sprain or partial tear then there is very little significant damage. Many people, athletes and weekend warriors alike, last years with partial tears in their acls without needing treatment. Many never need treatment once they keep up with any pre-hab style exercises they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

cc87 wrote: »
    Depending on how physically active you are, this could be very minor.

As they couldn't tell if it was a sprain or partial tear then there is very little significant damage. Many people, athletes and weekend warriors alike, last years with partial tears in their acls without needing treatment. Many never need treatment once they keep up with any pre-hab style exercises they get.
    Fully agree I'm squatting pain fee with a completely torn ACL!
    Managing the injury is the key!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

1. There is moderate joint effusion.

2. There is evidence of a sprain or partial tear of the ACL

3. There is a focal area of increased signal 1.1cm transverse diameter in the medial pattellar articular facets with overlying irregularity of the margin of the cartilage consistent with trauma.

1. There is swelling/fluid in the joint. (aka water on the knee)

2. Minor ACL injury. Sometimes a sprain is a stretched ligament, sometime it's a minor tear.

3. "Increase signal" means increased activity picked up my the MRI, due to trauma/inflamation. To the back of the kneecap. THis image kinda shows it, except your case its only the knee cap, not the femur surface. The rear of the kneecap is split in two, its the inner rear surface that is injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    Fully agree I'm squatting pain fee with a completely torn ACL!
    Managing the injury is the key!

Jesus wept, I skipped leg day yesterday because I strained my knee playing on the floor with my kid... :pac:

Mellor wrote: »
    1. There is swelling/fluid in the joint. (aka water on the knee)

2. Minor ACL injury. Sometimes a sprain is a stretched ligament, sometime it's a minor tear.

3. "Increase signal" means increased activity picked up my the MRI, due to trauma/inflamation. To the back of the kneecap. THis image kinda shows it, except your case its only the knee cap, not the femur surface. The rear of the kneecap is split in two, its the inner rear surface that is injured.

Awesome dude , thanks. Pain seems to be coming from the inside of the kneecap alright.

Advertisement