Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An insurance question

• 20-04-2016 12:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭

Two people I know share the use of a car. The policyholder ("A") is probably due to be disqualified shortly. Can they continue to insure the car in A's name just for use by the named driver "B" ?

Comments

I would assume that the policy would be null and void if the main policy holder was disqualified

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

As discussed previously a person can have a car without a licence at all, so that other people can drive them around, so I do not see why this policy could not be reorganised in this way. Not sure of the economics of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭XrayGolf

In short no. The main driver of the vehicle should be the person who's name the policy is in, since the disqualified driver won't be driving the car s/he should not be the policy holder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Also, when insuring your car you have to declare any penalty points etc. which can/will affect your premium. I would imagine that once you've been disqualified your premium will go through the roof for a few years afterwards so any benefit of insuring it in their name (assuming it's because it's cheaper or there's a young driver involved) will be negated......all assumptions here so could be way wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

XrayGolf wrote: »
    In short no. The main driver of the vehicle should be the person who's name the policy is in, since the disqualified driver won't be driving the car s/he should not be the policy holder.

+1 That is an issue right enough but the main one is that if the policyholder gets disqualified then by any yardstick that is a 'notifiable event' meaning that the insurance company needs to be told.

Getting convicted and disqualified represents a 'material change' to the policyholder's risk profile and if the insurance company is not told about it, the policy is worthless i.e. the named driver will have a cert. to produce if he or she is stopped by the Gardai but in the event of a serious claim, the policy will be voided.

Read your policy document and chances are that there is a section along the lines of: 'You must tell us if...'...

Example, Axa....

4 Changes to your policy

You must tell us immediately about any:

• change of car or any other vehicle you buy or take ownership of
    • convictions, prosecutions or any penalty points which apply to you or any other driver of your car
    • change in the driver’s health, address or job

• Advertisement
Advertisement