Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids swimming near maynooth?

Options
  • 20-04-2016 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

Where do you take your kids swimming? We're not and intend to be members of the glen royal so where do we go? We don't really want lessons yet, just pay as you go to use the pool.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

You can pay as you go for the pool in the Glenroyal. Apart from that the next nearest is Palmerstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

yellow hen wrote: »
    Where do you take your kids swimming? We're not and intend to be members of the glen royal so where do we go? We don't really want lessons yet, just pay as you go to use the pool.

It's shameful how few public swimming pools there are in county Kildare. Given the population of over 200,000 there is enough people to support up to 10 pools.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Orion wrote: »
    You can pay as you go for the pool in the Glenroyal. Apart from that the next nearest is Palmerstown.

Oh I thought the glenroyal was members only. Thats great, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Really? I rang them and they said no, feckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fguinan

yellow hen wrote: »
    Where do you do take your kids swimming? We're not and intend to be members of the glen royal so where do we go? We don't really want lessons yet, just pay as you go to use the pool.

Clondalkin swimming pool do a family pay as you go rate.... It's €14 for 2 adults and 2 children

• Advertisement

Staplor wrote: »
    Really? I rang them and they said no, feckers.

I use it regularly as a non member with my kids. So whoever told you that is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

How much does it cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Try St Raphaels in Celbridge for kids lessons, I've never been myself but a lot of my neighbours go. We send ours to Westgrove Clane for lessons.
    (sorry I see you don't want lessons, I know Clane do summer family membership, can't remember how much)

iirc we were charged 20 for the family. Herself usually pays it so I'm not 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭POKERKING

westgrove in clane allow non members in.

They do parent and toddlers every morning.

Definitely worth a look i go occaisionally with my kid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

theres also the swimming pool in naas (KLeisure I think its called)

theres loads of pools near to maynooth/celbridge/leixlip -even the college has a pool (but its being renovated at the moment I believe)

I think because people dont see one in the town they can just walk up to they think theres none.

daheff wrote: »
    theres also the swimming pool in naas (KLeisure I think its called)

theres loads of pools near to maynooth/celbridge/leixlip -even the college has a pool (but its being renovated at the moment I believe)

I think because people dont see one in the town they can just walk up to they think theres none.

The college pool is closed. A new one is part of their development plan but we're talking years before that's completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

You should list them out. There are zero public pools in all of north Kildare. There is the odd privately-owned hotel members-only swimming pool, like the Glenroyal.

The Glenroyal is not member-only - you can pay to use the pool as a non-member. It is privately owned not public but available.

The Glenroyal is not member-only - you can pay to use the pool as a non-member. It is privately owned not public but available.

This post disagrees. I haven't phoned them myself, but there is no info about PAYG on their website.

Can you shed more light on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Rathkenny

n97 mini wrote: »
    This post disagrees. I haven't phoned them myself, but there is no info about PAYG on their website.

I called them about 9 months ago and they said that yes they do a pay as you go option for the pool. It was quite expensive (can't remember how much though) and never got around to going.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

I've brought my little one to Glenroyal but it's €12 an adult in and I was told they'd start charging her from when she's 3.

Instead, since I work shift, I go to Aquazone over at the aquatic centre in Blanchardstown. Between 10 and 12 weekdays it's only €4.80 in and she's free, and they've never really stressed about it. There's 2 great pools there for her - a toddlers pool with a big pirate ship and slides and a large, gently sloping pool for her to practice swimming in. 30 minutes there via Dunboyne back roads

1 big warning though, any school holiday or midterm break and the entry price rockets.

Also, used to live in Clondalkin, that pool there is really, really good. The separated kids pool us great for toddlers but unfortunately nearly always booked by classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

well then you shouldn't state things as fact when you clearly don't know.

Glenroyal has been open for public use for as long as I've been going, which is several years at this stage.

Glenroyal has been open for public use for as long as I've been going, which is several years at this stage.

Agreed. I've used it for years as a non member.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Thanks for all the replies. The glenroyal would be so convenient bit clane could be an alternative otherwise.

• Advertisement

Au contraire, my contrary friend. Everything I posted was fact!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Au contraire, my contrary friend. Everything I posted was fact!
    except it wasn't, as the Glenroyal isn't members-only. HTH.

The college pool is closed. A new one is part of their development plan but we're talking years before that's completed.

Yes -thats why I said it was under renovation

You should list them out. There are zero public pools in all of north Kildare. There is the odd privately-owned hotel members-only swimming pool, like the Glenroyal.

And you should google it... http://kildare.ie/education/sports/swimming/
    http://www.swimireland.ie/locate-a-pool/

but heres a few in Kildare & around about to get you started
    KLeisure in Naas
    Clondalkin
    KLeisure in Athy
    National Aquatic centre Blanchardstown

• Registered Users Posts: 68,865 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its not. Its closed permanently.
    but heres a few in Kildare & around about to get you started
    KLeisure in Naas
    Clondalkin
    KLeisure in Athy
    National Aquatic centre Blanchardstown

None of those are nearby by any definition. Athy is 65km! None are accessible on public transport either.

I think you might want to just admit you were wrong in your original post.

L1011 wrote: »
    Its not. Its closed permanently.

My bad. My understanding was it was closed for renovation. Not that they are building an entirely new one.

None of those are nearby by any definition. Athy is 65km! None are accessible on public transport either.

I think you might want to just admit you were wrong in your original post.
    define nearby....it goes back to my original post that people think there are no pools nearby because they cant just walk into one.

Naas is a 25min drive, clondalkin 30 mins. Westgrove in Clane is 18mins away.

Accessibility by public transport wasnt a consideration of the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,865 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My bad. My understanding was it was closed for renovation. Not that they are building an entirely new one.

They aren't. There is only a proposal for a new one and the old one is closed forever.
    define nearby....it goes back to my original post that people think there are no pools nearby because they cant just walk into one.

In unrealistically good traffic for Naas and Clondalkin.

North Kildare is hideously underserved with public leisure facilities no matter what way you try to spin it.

It's not being renovated. It's closed. It's shutdown. It's an ex-parrot pool.

If one does go in as part of the redevelopment it will be a whole new pool building.

Sure by that logic there are plenty of pools "nearby". Mullingar is only 45 mins away, ALSAA and Terenure only 30 mins, Markievicz on Townsend St, Dublin 30 mins, Bray 40 mins - all by car and all with zero traffic. Oh - all of these are served by public transport too albeit it combination of train and bus/dart apart from Mullingar - which is just an expensive bus. Sorry - just train to Townsend St.

I'm going to define nearby as "none of them" if you don't mind. As L1011 said maybe you should just admit you were wrong and stopping digging a bigger hole for yourself.

Sure by that logic there are plenty of pools "nearby". Mullingar is only 45 mins away, ALSAA and Terenure only 30 mins, Markievicz on Townsend St, Dublin 30 mins, Bray 40 mins - all by car and all with zero traffic. Oh - all of these are served by public transport too albeit it combination of train and bus/dart apart from Mullingar - which is just an expensive bus. Sorry - just train to Townsend St.

I'm going to define nearby as "none of them" if you don't mind. As L1011 said maybe you should just admit you were wrong and stopping digging a bigger hole for yourself.

Again this goes back to my point that people think there are no pools around because they cant just walk up to them.
    So if your definition of nearby is walking distance, then unless you live in Dublin city centre there are probably very few -in which case you are right & I am wrong.

Gotta ask -how many pools do you think there should be? One in every town?

As for your point on public transport -Clane is accessible by public transport, so is NAC in Blanch. Kleisure in Naas has transport to Naas, but would require a bit of a walk to them.

I'd also point out that Stewarts in Palmertown offer open swimming on sundays from 12-12.45 and 12.45 to 13:30 (also accessible by public transport).

• Advertisement

In unrealistically good traffic for Naas and Clondalkin.

North Kildare is hideously underserved with public leisure facilities no matter what way you try to spin it.

Dunno how you travel to Naas /Clondalkin, but I can make it from Maynooth to both in those times on weekends/off peak hours.

Advertisement