Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids swimming near maynooth?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

daheff wrote: »
    Gotta ask -how many pools do you think there should be? One in every town?

Even 1 public pool in the north of the county would be nice. You still ignore the point being made that there is none in North Kildare.

Anyway - this is going nowhere so I'm done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

As an example of how inaccessible these are from North Kildare by public transport, take a town in the middle with reasonable public transport, Kilcock, and see how to get to each of these:
    KLeisure in Naas = 2 hours via Dublin city centre
    Clondalkin = 2 buses, between 1hr5 and almost 2 hours
    KLeisure in Athy = 3 hours best case, but up to 4
    National Aquatic centre Blanchardstown = Between 1hr10 and 2 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Gotta ask -how many pools do you think there should be? One in every town?

Population of Athy is 10,490 and it has a pool. So KCC seem to think that's ok.

2011 populations....
    Celbridge: 19,537
    Leixlip: 15,452
    Maynooth: 12,510
    ...and not a pool between them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I wish we had a local pool,I inquired at the Glenroyal before and they told me that it was members only but not recently.
    I used to bring the kids to the university pool which only had a few public hours but was great.
    I couldn't face dragging 4 little ones to any of the further pools.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

TBH KCC seem to regard North Kildare as a bit of a nuisance providing only the bare minimum of services. You could open a whole new thread on this , and include crazy planning decisions like turning down a cinema in Celbridge because ' its not in the plan ' !

As pointed out by a number of posters its pretty poor that between the three quite large population areas they cannot muster a swimming pool between them.

To the OP , my daughter learnt to swim at both the University ( when it was open ) and then The Glenroyal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I wish we had a local pool,I inquired at the Glenroyal before and they told me that it was members only but not recently.
    I used to bring the kids to the university pool which only had a few public hours but was great.
    I couldn't face dragging 4 little ones to any of the further pools.

Even when the gym/pool was a private company you could pay to use - I did it a number of times. Now it's actually part of the hotel and still pay to use if you want to. tbh when your kids are a couple of years older it might actually be worth your while getting a family membership just to go swimming.

Advertisement