Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Business Home office setup

Options
  • 20-04-2016 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I usually work from home and have a decent home office set up. I play the odd game and so I have a decent enough PC that can play games well and also run engineering simulations.

We are moving home and I want to optimize the setup. I will have an office that is apart from the house but in the garden, so a little more separate from the house than it is now.

Also, I have found it a challenge separating work from home life. Sometimes I might "clock off" around 6pm and start playing a game... but then the missus doesn't know any different. So, ideally I would want a PC setup in the house that I can play games on and also a decent PC in the office for running simulations etc. But it does seem like a pity to have to duplicate everything.

Another thing to bear in mind is that I find it useful to have a simulation PC that is not the pc I run office applications on like word and Excel - because when the simulations are running, the PC will crawl.

So here is what I'm thinking - A high powered PC in the house which is capable of playing games and can be used as a remote PC when I'm working, for running simulations on. Then I have a modest workstation PC in the office that I run office applications on and can use to remote into the other PC.

The only problem with this setup is that sometimes I will set simulations to run overnight then that would make my games PC unusable.

I have a two monitor setup which I find very useful both for gaming and for work - in this setup I can't see a way around duplicating that.

Since this is my livelihood, I don't mind investing a few shekels to get a reasonably future proof setup.

Can anyone think of something I'm missing? Technologies or options I haven't considered?

Edit: I have a decent Dell XPS laptop - I could get a docking station and use that as the office workstation PC? Another thing is, I've been looking at high performance Xeon based servers - it could be nice to have 8 or more cores to throw a load of jobs onto. So maybe:
    Office workstation: Laptop on docking station
    HPC server: New Xeon based server, 8+ cores?
    Home PC: Existing PC

Thoughts?

Advertisement