Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiFi query

Options
  • 20-04-2016 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

Anyone know which network is the best to go to for non fibre broadband in the north sligo area?? Was looking at prepay plans to save on going down the bill pay route.. I'm only looking to do the usuals Facebook, YouTube and Watch movies.. Would 7.5gb be sufficient?? Or would I need more?? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

mickwat155 wrote: »
    Anyone know which network is the best to go to for non fibre broadband in the north sligo area?? Was looking at prepay plans to save on going down the bill pay route.. I'm only looking to do the usuals Facebook, YouTube and Watch movie.. Would 7.5gb be sufficient?? Or would I need more?? Thanks

I don't know what prepay options you'd have. Mobile broadband coverage out this way is most certainly not worth paying for!
    There's a new crowd who are apparently going live in north sligo this week, West Connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭mickwat155

I don't know what prepay options you'd have. Mobile broadband coverage out this way is most certainly not worth paying for!
    There's a new crowd who are apparently going live in north sligo this week, West Connect.

Thanks buddy il look them up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KenjiOdo

Youtube & Movies eat data like nothing else.. 50gb with light/average use a month on 24mb connection is common on my package... big penalties for going over allowance once on 25gb package went over by 25gb double bill for that month! Might have changed pricing recently but just be aware.

KenjiOdo wrote: »
    Youtube & Movies eat data like nothing else.. 50gb with light/average use a month on 24mb connection is common on my package... big penalties for going over allowance once on 25gb package went over by 25gb double bill for that month! Might have changed pricing recently but just be aware.

Sounding like I'd be safer on unlimited broadband so then.. Not sure if you can get unlimited non fibre broadband??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Sounding like I'd be safer on unlimited broadband so then.. Not sure if you can get unlimited non fibre broadband??

The best way to get non-fibre broadband around here is to desperately need and want fibre broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KenjiOdo

Not sure who the providers are around Sligo or whats speeds packages are available, just a general warning..

On a side note, is siro not available in your area?? It was one of the first 3 towns I think..

http://siro.ie/roll-out/

ESB/Vodafone partnership fastest broadband in Ireland 1000mb speeds for €90/mth after first six months @ €40/mth.. (over speeds available)

All bundles here https://www.vodafone.ie/home/broadband/lightspeed-broadband

Hope this helps..

KenjiOdo wrote: »
    Not sure who the providers are around Sligo or whats speeds packages are available, just a general warning..

On a side note, is siro not available in your area?? It was one of the first 3 towns I think..

http://siro.ie/roll-out/

ESB/Vodafone partnership fastest broadband in Ireland 1000mb speeds for €90/mth after first six months @ €40/mth.. (over speeds available)

All bundles here https://www.vodafone.ie/home/broadband/lightspeed-broadband

Hope this helps..

Siro is not in my area and I can't get fibre either :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

I am currently with Fastcom. Have been for 8 years now.
    Its grand. As i type, im getting 11.6 of my supposed 12mb.
    But on an evening or weekend, you might only get half that. If even.
    Thats why i was hoping to make the move to the crowd mentioned above because i find im using net more and more for tv, movies etc which is obviously in the evenings and weekends and im finding Fastcom aint cutting it when i need it most. At this moment in time, until west connect is available here Fastcom are my only option (except for 2mb eircom "broadband").
    Both fastcom and west connect offer unlimited packages.
    Limiting packages these days with streaming and on demand tv etc is ridiculous.

I am currently with Fastcom. Have been for 8 years now.
    Its grand. As i type, im getting 11.6 of my supposed 12mb.
    But on an evening or weekend, you might only get half that. If even.
    Thats why i was hoping to make the move to the crowd mentioned above because i find im using net more and more for tv, movies etc which is obviously in the evenings and weekends and im finding Fastcom aint cutting it when i need it most. At this moment in time, until west connect is available here Fastcom are my only option (except for 2mb eircom "broadband").
    Both fastcom and west connect offer unlimited packages.
    Limiting packages these days with streaming and on demand tv etc is ridiculous.

But is that non fibre or fibre broadband you have??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

There is no fibre in Nth Sligo

• Advertisement

red sean wrote: »
    There is no fibre in Nth Sligo

It's **** because there're is some great offers but only applies to fibre broadband.. I signed up to eir broadband today it's an unlimited plan €45 per month I can't remember what speed but it's going to do the job for me anyway.. No other network could cater for me..

It's **** because there're is some great offers but only applies to fibre broadband.. I signed up to eir broadband today it's an unlimited plan €45 per month I can't remember what speed but it's going to do the job for me anyway.. No other network could cater for me..

^^ You hope!!
    Keep us posted how it goes for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

red sean wrote: »
    ^^ You hope!!
    Keep us posted how it goes for you.

I hope you understand the famous ' up to ' for non fibre broadband

If you live close to Cliffoney then broadband will be available within the next couple
    of weeks ..Fibre that is

Castlegarron by the end of the year

mobil 222 wrote: »
    I hope you understand the famous ' up to ' for non fibre broadband

If you live close to Cliffoney then broadband will be available within the next couple
    of weeks ..Fibre that is

Castlegarron by the end of the year

I'm stuck in the middle I'm in ballinfull.. so I can't imagine fibre will be coming anytime soon lol

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

I'm stuck in the middle I'm in ballinfull.. so I can't imagine fibre will be coming anytime soon lol

Westconnect have updated their network this week

Part of Ballinfull is now within range

you can see it on their coverage map

mobil 222 wrote: »
    Westconnect have updated their network this week

Part of Ballinfull is now within range

you can see it on their coverage map
    Any idea where they're transmitting from in ballinfull?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Sligophoto

Its from the second mast in Cashelgarron.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭curtisbrown

The guy from West Connect just left. Unfortunately I can't get a strong enough signal from any of the masts, time to get the chainsaw out

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Sligophoto

Sorry to hear that, I have just called them for an install so hopefully I have better luck.
    Imagine have been on to me but I really don't like the idea of an 18 month contract.

Advertisement