Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3rd party vs comprehensive?

• 20-04-2016 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

For the first time ever I have less than a full ncb and with the overall increase in insurance together with the fact that my car is 2009 I'm wondering if it is time to drop down to 3rd party.

I know the difference between the 2 insurances but I'm still not sure what criteria I should use to make this decision? Is age of car the biggest issue?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you write off your car, do you want insurer to pay anything?
    If not, then go to 3rd party only option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

For the first time ever I have less than a full ncb and with the overall increase in insurance together with the fact that my car is 2009 I'm wondering if it is time to drop down to 3rd party.

I know the difference between the 2 insurances but I'm still not sure what criteria I should use to make this decision? Is age of car the biggest issue?

When I was checking the last few times on a few sites 3rd party was more expensive than fully comp.

The biggest issue is can you afford to repair or replace the car from your own pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭cml387

You might consider windscreen cover, would it be included in 3rd party.
    Other than that the repairs issue is irrelevant as insurance won't cover it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

Don't go 3rd party. I had an accident a couple of years ago, and had 3rd party, eventhough I was in the right, my insurance company would do nothing to help me claim from the other party's insurance, only interested in defending being claimed against, but wanted me to help them with that, filling forms, photos etc...never again, I learned a lesson .....third party is only a means of getting a disc on the windscreen....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Some full comp policies don't include windscreen cover, etc either these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

clogher71 wrote: »
    Don't go 3rd party. I had an accident a couple of years ago, and had 3rd party, eventhough I was in the right, my insurance company would do nothing to help me claim from the other party's insurance, only interested in defending being claimed against, but wanted me to help them with that, filling forms, photos etc...never again, I learned a lesson .....third party is only a means of getting a disc on the windscreen....

I can't really see what difference does it make.

If you had an accident which wasn't your fault, then you claim from other party insurer.
    If you had comprehensive cover, you could have claimed from your insurer and they could recoup the cost from other party insurrer.

But what difference does it make for you if you claimd from your insurer or other party insurer?
    It's a hassle anyway in both cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

The way I see it is, how much is a 09 car worth? Let's say 8k for the sake of it. Even if fully comp is 200 euro more expensive than 3rd party it's definitely worth it. In an at fault claim your insurance will increase anyway so you the extra 200 euro spend on insurance could save your 7800 in the long run. Why be down a car and also have a high renewal for the sake of 200 euro, usually it's much closer in price to fully comp anyway. Was 50 euro cheaper for my last renewal anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

3rd party is typically only cheaper by the price of a tank of fuel.
    Fully comp is a no brainer with an 09 car.
    I could see 3rd party making sense for a young driver with a 1000 quid car who will not want to be making claims anyway due to fear of outrageous premiums.

Advertisement