Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

making websites through moonpig

Options
  • 20-04-2016 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hi guys , I'm handy enough at making websites though a site called moonfruit, usually like 5-7 pages and good at making logos too both which come out professional . I was thinking Maybe I could make a side business out of this and charging between 100-200 per website

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

You're not making websites, you're arranging templates. Any business worth it's salt wouldn't use a service like this. After tax at €200 a site you'd probably be earning well below minimum wage if you work out the time involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Hi guys , I'm handy enough at making websites though a site called moonpig , usually like 5-7 pages and good at making logos too both which come out professional . I was thinking Maybe I could make a side business out of this and charging between 100-200 per website

Be careful here, offering to "make Websites" usually indicates you have complete control over the medium. You don't when using something like Moonpig. It could get very embarrassing if clients ask for certain things which are not allowed through Moonpig's menu system and you are unable to support the requests.

If you'll allow the metaphor, this is like someone opening a restaurant but using ready meals in the kitchen, you can only work with what you're given

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭celligraphy

Oh ok was only an ideal but thanks for the advice , does seem shoddu now that I think of it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Oh ok was only an ideal but thanks for the advice , does seem shoddu now that I think of it

If you have an interest in building websites, definitely look into it further. it's a good way to build a portfolio and there IS money to made from it, you just need to advance past the toolset you are currently using.

Best of luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭celligraphy

Thanks was looking at blacknight but some are just very confusing might have a look at WordPress again and actually pay attention on how to use it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

I don't want to discourage you, there was a market for this 5-10 years ago but not really now especially with squarespace etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Joseph wrote: »
    I don't want to discourage you, there was a market for this 5-10 years ago but not really now especially with squarespace etc

Sorry, but you're wrong there bud. I started exactly like the op. Built my own website back in 2008 with a website builder on godaddy with zero web design experience. I built 3 other sites for clients as direct referrals and it was like that until last year. I learned how to use a different web builder program (available for around €100) and last May I launched my web design company. We have over 30 clients on our books now with that particular web design service and we launched an online food ordering product a month ago. We have 7 clients signed up in the past 2 weeks on that service and another 4 confirmed for next week, all with passive income for the company. We are now competing with and taking business from very well established players. Its a tough market, but the op has a chance and a long learning curve ahead of himself. If he is serious and smart, he can make it work, regardless of the product he is offering. He does not need to offer all the best tools and services. He just needs to be clear on what he CAN offer. People will buy if they like what he can offer. Its certainly not a get rich quick scheme and I recommend starting as a hobbie, with occasional sales to build a portfolio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Learn to code man.

Start with HTML, CSS and then work on Php and JavaScript.

If you put the effort in, you could be maybe actual web applications in around a year. Not just rearranging templates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Learn to code man.

Start with HTML, CSS and then work on Php and JavaScript.

If you put the effort in, you could be maybe actual web applications in around a year. Not just rearranging templates.

Exactly. Took a subscription for Treehouse last year, they have a Wordpress dev course. Really good.

Exactly. Took a subscription for Treehouse last year, they have a Wordpress dev course. Really good.

Is treehouse any good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Take a look at freelance designers who advertise via sites like fiverr.com. You'll see what they do and the rates they charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Is treehouse any good?

Read what you quoted.

Read what you quoted.

Why ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Read what you quoted.
    Why ?

Here:

And I'd agree, really good place to start.

Advertisement