Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 360 discontinued after ten years

Options
  • 20-04-2016 5:05pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The Xbox 360 has been discontinued by Microsoft.

See Phil Spencers comments here.

It's been an epic ten years, I had so much fun with my 360 over those years, it truly was a great console.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

The end of an era. So much to love about this console. Great games, Xbox live arcade, 1 v 100, even Kinect was good fun for a different type of gaming experience. Can't believe its ten years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

sad to see. i worked on a component that was in the 360, actually had some of the very first units on my desk before it was launched when there was no os just test scripts. put a lot of hours work into getting our bit right. had a soft spot for it ever since, but it paid me back 10 times over. think that platform(with the equivalent sony) did more to change console gaming than anything before with the proper delivery of online gaming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I better not be jinxing myself by saying this but I still have a working launch 360. The back panel has "November 2005" as the manufacture date.

it did require one trip to Germany for the RROD and to replace the DVD drive but has been going great since.

At this stage I have it packed up and using the XB1 for backwards compatible games.

I remember I bought a 32 inch HD Samsung for it, HD tvs were rare enough at the time. Playing Call of Duty 2 was mind blowing, such a step up from my PS2. This gen didn't have any wow moments for me by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Sad to hear that but I guess it was inevitable.

I had one since launch, I ended up with three in the house at one point or another.

Still have one and I will never get rid of it, it's part of the furniture and I still play it even though I have Xbone and Ps4.

IMAG1094_20150822222051132_zpse48kzc4a.jpg

Still have a working original Xbox as well,for those nostalgic occasions when I want to play it.

Let's hope the next gen users get to experience the 360 days with continued backwards compatible titles :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

As a collector of consoles and games from the entire history of the pastime and hobby, it saddens me to hear of the consoles discontinuation.
    Not for any sentimental reason, the consoles has a massive library of games, many of which still remain as playable and fun as they were at launch, no the problem is all the money spent on the games, both physical and digital is, inevitably, going to be wasted.
    The Xbox 360 is so keen on failing, and not always in a repairable way, nor on a component that can be swapped out.
    The PS and PS2 had similar issues with their drives, but the ready supply of spares and easy replacement meant that both formats are still plentiful and usable dispite the rigors of time.
    The 360, on the other hand, requires not just a drive but a mobo swap, and much of it's failures are on the mainboard anyway, with the GPU intent on cooking the solder beyond melting point and killing the console.
    The net effect of the fragile and, at times, suicidal hardware is that in ten years time we'll be lucky to still have working examples of the format, meaning all of my collected software will be useless.
    The Xbox One and it's backwards compatibility program is great but hardly comprehensive, with the bulk of the games available still unsupported.
    And this doesn't take into account when the servers are taken down, and you have a hardware failure, good luck redownloading Outrun 2 or Marvel Vs Capcom 3 then.

So, a sad day indeed.
    Perhaps time to stock up on reserve Xbox 360's, just to see me into my own obsolescence, 3 or 4 should do it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Hey just a quick question on this. When will they start to phase out games? Do you think Fifa 17 would still be available for 360 later this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

They already have stopped including the 360 in the latest iterations of franchises, but for the likes of Fifa, they don't really require much processing power so the Fifa 17 game can be ported to both generations with only slight graphical differences and maybe missing one or two features

I think Fifa 17 will certainly be available on the 360 and PS3 for as long as there are customers to buy it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Akrasia wrote: »
    They already have stopped including the 360 in the latest iterations of franchises, but for the likes of Fifa, they don't really require much processing power so the Fifa 17 game can be ported to both generations with only slight graphical differences and maybe missing one or two features

I think Fifa 17 will certainly be available on the 360 and PS3 for as long as there are customers to buy it

The PS2 got FIFA 14, don't think you've anything to worry about just yet. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Roguemichael

A sad day, i still have mine connected up at home even though i haven't played it now for a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Its nuts that the 360 is 11 years old this year and to be far i don't think the games look bad on it yet i don't really find much difference between PS4/Xbone games they just look like playing on high settings on your PC compare to the 360 say on Low. Games are also so cheap now 2nd hand in CEX like i could go in and get 3 good games for less then a pint of beer ?. Thats nuts i never remember the PS3 and Xbox games going this cheap.

It was a great games console. 1st party was a bit meh but had one of the greatest controllers ever on a games console, Online was fantastic, Halo 3 need i say more ? i was playing it up to 2011 and i got it the day it came out no other Halo online has done it for me since.

I got the console at the start of 2007 With gears of war, crackdown and PGR 3 still think they where some of the best 360 games.

The PS4 and Xbone i have both but my love of video games is dying with them as there is notting new that stands out for me its just more of the same.

I fell proper back in love with video games when i got my 360 now i am like i wish something like that comes out again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement