Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 months abroad: withdrawing cash

Options
  • 20-04-2016 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'll be spending a few months abroad in Canada this summer, and I don't want to be shafted in conversion/withdrawal fees every time I use my debit card. What's the best option in this regard? Just take a grand in cash and pay accommodation in chunks?

Any other ideas? Thanks. I believe I have a standard bank account with Bank of Ireland if that helps...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Have you got a credit card? You're likely to need one for booking accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Take a look at the Revolut card there is a large thread on bargain alerts. It let you pull in cash from your current account and withdraw in a foreign currency at a good rate.

Look into getting a credit card which uses the mastercard published exchange rate when converting and has no foreign transaction fees

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Have you got a credit card? You're likely to need one for booking accommodation.

I don't have a credit card, I have a debit card that's tied to my bank account.

I'll have a look at the Bargain Alerts thread right now, thanks!

Advertisement