Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Empty House

Options
  • 20-04-2016 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

I have recently inherited a house, and is sitting empty since last October. We've been checking on it twice a week, making sure no frozen pipes over winter, emptying postbox and checking windows etc. We've changed the insurance too.

Eventually will be moving into it, but that could be early next year. We air it out when we can, but you can feel a slight mustiness/dampness in the air.

If there anything else we should be doing until then. Would a dehumidifier be any use? Anything else that should be checked?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

You should have the heating timed to come on for a short while particularly during the colder months to keep the damp minimal.

Has it got an alarm? Would recommend a system or a device that will notify you by email/text when alarm goes off. This could be something even small and simple like a motion sensor in the house that would contact you if detects movement within the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Bigoldhouse

Uriel. wrote: »
    Has it got an alarm? Would recommend a system or a device that will notify you by email/text when alarm goes off. This could be something even small and simple like a motion sensor in the house that would contact you if detects movement within the house.

No regular alarm, but have 2 wifi connected cameras that detect motion and record, also alerts on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

No regular alarm, but have 2 wifi connected cameras that detect motion and record, also alerts on my phone.

You're well ahead of the game so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭bbbaldy

If it has an open fire or stove check for nests in chimney ( if flues are not protected. ). Light fires when you can, with the windows open, they are great at sucking new fresh air into the house. Dehumidifiers are good but need to be emptied regularly. Changing the air in the house is key. If mould starts it has to be treated, can't just paint over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Do you have vacant possession insurance? It is a special type of insurance. As some insurance will cancel a policy if someone hasnt lived in the property for a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I have recently inherited a house, and is sitting empty since last October. We've been checking on it twice a week, making sure no frozen pipes over winter, emptying postbox and checking windows etc. We've changed the insurance too.

Eventually will be moving into it, but that could be early next year. We air it out when we can, but you can feel a slight mustiness/dampness in the air.

If there anything else we should be doing until then. Would a dehumidifier be any use? Anything else that should be checked?

Stick in on daft as a short term unfurnished let. I know several people who needed such when they were renovating their own home . There is a market

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Do you have vacant possession insurance? It is a special type of insurance. As some insurance will cancel a policy if someone hasnt lived in the property for a while

Yep, insurance broker did that. thanks

ted1 wrote: »
    Stick in on daft as a short term unfurnished let. I know several people who needed such when they were renovating their own home . There is a market

Was thinking about that. I'm probably trying to put off cleaning out the house!

Advertisement