Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are your mouse moves, clicks and keystrokes on a website your data or theirs?

• 20-04-2016 7:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

The reason I ask is that I just built a Windows 10 machine for the wife and kids and installed firefox with ublock origin and noscript .... when i visit boards.ie and just allow boards.ie and b-static.net, the website just does not work.

So I looked at all the other crap that wants to run on the website and noticed that clicktale.net wants to run... wtf is clicktale.net says I and nearly spat the cup of tae on my screen....
    https://wiki.clicktale.com/Article/Frequently_asked_questions
    How does ClickTale work?
    ClickTale captures every mouse move, click, scroll and keystroke that a visitor makes inside a webpage, and then sends this information back to the ClickTale servers in highly compressed packages. You can find a list of data items that ClickTale records in this article.
    The ClickTale servers take a snapshot of the webpage as experienced by the visitor, and combine it with the visitor actions to recreate the original browsing session.
    When you then login to your ClickTale account you can see your visitors' recordings, visual heatmaps and other behavioral reports.

Fcuk sakes boards, wtf is that about.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

BigEejit wrote: »
    The reason I ask is that I just built a Windows 10 machine for the wife and kids and installed firefox with ublock origin and noscript .... when i visit boards.ie and just allow boards.ie and b-static.net, the website just does not work.

So I looked at all the other crap that wants to run on the website and noticed that clicktale.net wants to run... wtf is clicktale.net says I and nearly spat the cup of tae on my screen....
    https://wiki.clicktale.com/Article/Frequently_asked_questions
    How does ClickTale work?
    ClickTale captures every mouse move, click, scroll and keystroke that a visitor makes inside a webpage, and then sends this information back to the ClickTale servers in highly compressed packages. You can find a list of data items that ClickTale records in this article.
    The ClickTale servers take a snapshot of the webpage as experienced by the visitor, and combine it with the visitor actions to recreate the original browsing session.
    When you then login to your ClickTale account you can see your visitors' recordings, visual heatmaps and other behavioral reports.

Fcuk sakes boards, wtf is that about.

As I type this, im moving the mouse in little circles. F*&k 'em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi,

Thanks for the post.
    Boards kind of lost my interest as the delay,the ads and third party connections drives me crazy.
    I have to wait for the ads to get the content of the page.

What else maybe runs deep in the scripting zone !??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Merrion

Legally: theirs
    Morally: am not sure - certainly seems a bit grey. Depends on how anonymised it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

Would the do not track option in the browser prevent this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

I'm spelling rude words with the mouse right now, creating a funny heat map whilst the splendid Ghostery blocks out the trackers...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Boards works fine for me with just boards.ie and ajax.googleapis allowed.

I also have adblockplus and Ghostery running.

Advertisement