Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I have some piles/pregnancy success stories please?

Options
  • 20-04-2016 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭

*Obviously tmi given the title!*

Apologies if this is in the wrong place but I don't know where else to post it, mods please move if necessary. I hope it doesn't verge into asking for medical advice, I'm more looking for people's own experiences and don't have anywhere to turn.

Can't be bothered going unregistered. Just over a year after having my first baby I've discovered I have very minor piles as a result of pregnancy, I had a very small bump and so had immense abdominal pressure with so little space. I have never had any pain or anything, but can just recently feel one of them. Gp says they're very minor and certainly shouldn't deter me from more pregnancies, that while they might flare up they are very treatable.

Considering I didn't even notice it for a whole year I think the fact that I can feel one now must be at least partly psychological. I'm an absolute mess at the thoughts of any future pregnancies making them worse, I've read horror stories about the pain they leave people in. We definitely want more children but to be honest I wouldn't cope well with a life long niggling pain (even this intermittent sensation is really upsetting me) and am currently so terrified of the prospect that I've decided I can't possibly risk it and am devastated at the idea of no more children.

This is long, sorry. Has anyone any positive words or stories of making it through future pregnancies and never having piles get worse, or at least having them not be left permanently painful? Or having them treated successfully? I'm not looking for specific "I had X treatment at Y place", just any possible positive info about good outcomes. Please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Hey don't mean to trivialise your issue but no way should it put you off having more kids!
    I had piles before, during and after pregnancy. Absolute best way to manage is eat well, drinks loads of water and avoid constipation.
    Had to work hard to maintain this during pregnancy but I did. Flared up big time after labour. Not going to lie to you it was super uncomfortable and hard to sit down. Was prescribed a cream and did the job in around two to three days.
    Most likely going to happen again if lucky enough to have another but wouldn't bat an eyelid. The treatment are so quick and effective. I still eat loads of fibre, water etc. Only ever flares up if constipated so I avoid that like the plague! Don't let it get you down, very very common!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Thank you annoyedgal, I know you're not trivialising it and that's the kind of answer I need. I'm very bad with anxiety around health related issues (bizarrely I am very calm and logical about my son's health but not mine) and my brain always goes straight to the worst case scenario.

I'm never constipated and eat a very good diet, I had about a week of it when on iron tablets after my c section but that was it...which is probably why they're not too bad. The sensation of it is horrible though when I can feel it, I hope I'll adjust to that :(

Thanks for your reply. All I seem to read online are the ones in horrific pain for months on end. I would likely be having a c section again, which I would be grateful for in minimising them too!

Get your gp to prescribe a cream as theres no need to put up with any discomfort. I avoided iron supplements when pregnant for this reason, used spatone and floradix with iron and ate loads of greens instead!
    I learned the hard way that Google always gives you worst case scenarios! Always scaring the life out of me so I've given it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I had several piles, a number protruding, after both labours and I was never in any discomfort or pain. It felt a bit odd when sitting or walking
    (TMI, I know, but sorta like I couldn't have wiped properly) but I certainly wasn't in pain. Got cream from the GP and haven't had any issues since, even with bouts of constipation!

Shasha that's exactly what it feels like, or like my underwear is bunching :/ Gp didn't suggest any cream, but tbh when I saw her it wasn't as obvious (it was just two days ago) and she said I just had minor ones and a skin tag left by a previous bigger one.

What does the cream do for non painful ones? *prays for magical shrinking cream*

• Advertisement

annoyedgal wrote: »
    Get your gp to prescribe a cream as theres no need to put up with any discomfort.

Yeah I dodged iron supplements when pregnant just in case but I was quite sick after he was born and they basically made me take iron to fix at least one thing. I only took about a third of the prescription!

The discomfort is just being caused by its presence "outside" after some bowel movements, would a cream help that discomfort? I thought a cream would just help itching/burning/etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I suffered a lot with piles before I got pregnant. Most of last year I was in pain with them. I was miserable at times as the pain was really unbearable. I basically took painkillers and got cream and suppositories and eventually, after months they started to clear up. I haven't suffered at all during this pregnancy which is strange, I thought I would, especially as I'm now on iron!

Plenty of water and may get something like Fibogel sachets to drink with water for fibre. The cream will help with discomfort but maybe get the suppositories too as they will also help reduce swelling. Check with your GP what you can use though. I was given a prescription if it came back a few months ago, but thankfully I didn't need to get anything. It's not nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭sandra06

try an aloe vera plant from the garden center know that sounds mad but i suffered from piles for yrs (very painfull and bleed ) found aloe vera worked better than the cream and supp from the doc ,i dont know if you can use aloe if ur preg and drink lots of water and dont be worring there easily sorted ,,i used radox once in the bath and the pain after was so bad i wanted to go to hospital :p

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭sandra06

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I suffered a lot with piles before I got pregnant. Most of last year I was in pain with them. I was miserable at times as the pain was really unbearable. I basically took painkillers and got cream and suppositories and eventually, after months they started to clear up. I haven't suffered at all during this pregnancy which is strange, I thought I would, especially as I'm now on iron!

Plenty of water and may get something like Fibogel sachets to drink with water for fibre. The cream will help with discomfort but maybe get the suppositories too as they will also help reduce swelling. It's not nice!
    try aloe vera plant worked wonder for mine instant relief and i not sure why this helped but cheap toilet roll like tesco own brand and wash down there after you been to loo with just water make sure you cleand everything anything left behind can cause more pain:rolleyes:

See Ciarrai I just couldn't cope with spending a year in pain, that would be my fear of another pregnancy, making them worse and painful :( I'd have a breakdown if I'd constant pain.

Thanks so much for your replies and tips. They aren't currently painful, I don't see how anything other than actual removal would help with the one I can feel. The upset and anxiety going with it are worse to deal with at the moment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

I had piles during pregnancy and they were really bad after labour. I had an episitomy and the pain from the piles was much worse! As a previous poster mentioned not getting constipated helped- diet and lots of lactulose. Got a cream from the chemist not on prescription - woefully named anusol :) they disappeared in no time - ask the pharmacist on how best to use. My daughter is 15 weeks and there isn't a trace of them now. She is my second child though i didnt suffer as bad with piles with my first. No way would it prevent me going again, very treatable.

Shasha that's exactly what it feels like, or like my underwear is bunching :/ Gp didn't suggest any cream, but tbh when I saw her it wasn't as obvious (it was just two days ago) and she said I just had minor ones and a skin tag left by a previous bigger one.

What does the cream do for non painful ones? *prays for magical shrinking cream*

It is a magical shrinking cream, will sort out any protruding ones too in jig time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

There's a few different creams you can get and some are over the counter (like anusol). My recommendation would be see your GP and get a prescription for sheriproct cream and sheriproct suppositories. Worked wonders for me. I found anusol and proctoseal really stung me but that's because I had a fissure aswell. I still have some and find its just a way of life for me. They don't really hurt but I think I've a high pain threshold. My diet wouldn't be great if I'm honest as I never eat fruit and not a massive amount of veg so that's my own fault. I should prob start looking after myself better. They don't get in the way of anything tho and I've had 2 children and want another 2. I wouldn't even factor them in when deciding to have another child. But if you've never had them before I can understand your anxiety. They are quite common tho. The cream and suppositories are very good but you need the particular one I mention on prescription.

Thank you. I won't be able to go to my gp for weeks, and as I just went a few days ago and they're not actually sore I know physically can wait. It's the anxiety and depressing fact of having to be constantly careful and adding this faff to going to the bathroom, at 31 :( Makes me feel so unnattractive and miserable, I know they're relatively minor but I'm just gutted.

But clearly I was fine for the last year so why get upset about it now just because I know?!

Thank you. I won't be able to go to my gp for weeks, and as I just went a few days ago and they're not actually sore I know physically can wait. It's the anxiety and depressing fact of having to be constantly careful and adding this faff to going to the bathroom, at 31 :( Makes me feel so unnattractive and miserable, I know they're relatively minor but I'm just gutted.

But clearly I was fine for the last year so why get upset about it now just because I know?!

Spotty there shouldn't be any need to go to the doctor again. Ring you're GP and ask them to fax the prescription to your nearest pharmacy. The GP has already reviewed the issue so need to go again. Most would be happy to do this if they have seen the problem and know the prescription you need. Especially for something minor enough. And at least you will get it sorted and not have to be worrying about them for weeks. Otherwise you could always try the over the counter stuff.

Oh so she'd give me a prescription in retrospect even though she didn't recommend it the last day? I think because I've no pain or anything she felt I didn't need it. I think I'll go to a pharmacist today and ask. I don't know if the cream would work on the annoying one so I might get specific advice on if it would or if I just need to get used to putting it back in place :( Getting the info will hopefully help the anxiety a bit.

I wish I could just forget about it, I was happy out with my bum function for the last year, ignorance is bliss!

Yea sometimes they recommend treatment sometimes they don't. But of its something that's bothering you she probably would've given you something for it. you can always ask for advice from the pharmacist, they are usually pretty good. Buy i didn't find the OTC stuff any good.

I called gp but she's not in today. I spoke to pharmacist who basically told me it sounds really minor and to just get used to the sensation of it sitting there, all the time. He gave me anusol and said it should help. But I just don't understand how a week of a cream can fix what has likely been happening for over a year. He said they wouldn't treat ones as minor as this with removal, just creams.

I know they think I'm overreacting because I've no pain but I just can't cope with things like this. I don't think I could live with them being worse after another pregnancy in future.

I called gp but she's not in today. I spoke to pharmacist who basically told me it sounds really minor and to just get used to the sensation of it sitting there, all the time. He gave me anusol and said it should help. But I just don't understand how a week of a cream can fix what has likely been happening for over a year. He said they wouldn't treat ones as minor as this with removal, just creams.

I know they think I'm overreacting because I've no pain but I just can't cope with things like this. I don't think I could live with them being worse after another pregnancy in future.

Cream and suppository should do the trick if it's minor. Honestly, if it's bothering you that much try give your GP a ring when she's back and she what she recommends.

I've calmed down. Anxiety/panic attacks are the fecking worst.

I'm going to give this a go anyway, hopefully it works.

Thanks for your replies, advice and experiences. I was feeling very alone, you've all really helped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Goodness.
    I got a minor protruding pile before baby no. 1.
    I had baby no.1....the pile wasn't a problem. I had a D&C about 2 weeks after the birth, and that actually did more harm on the pile front than the baby did. But a few weeks of Anusol cleared it up.
    Baby no.2 has recently arrived. I felt last week that the piles were back, but they seem to have gone again since, although I was on the verge of going back for Anusol.

Go to the GP OP,there's no point suffering in silence. There are stronger creams they can give you. And water, water, water and orange juice are your friends! Loads of fruit and veg, keep everything fairly natural and avoid deep fried or heavy fatty stuff where you can. And furthermore - take a deep breath and do your best to relax when using the toilet. I know that's easier said than done, (believe me I do, I'm a fortnight after giving birth here!!!!) but straining makes them worse.

I wouldn't worry too much about another pregnancy making them worse for now. I work on the basis that they'll flare up from time to time and they're manageable for now. No point getting too worked up about things I can't really control I suppose.

Also if you have another baby you will absolutely not have time to even think about it. :)

Good luck!

I have a very good diet and drink lots of water, which is probably why they're not worse really. I have seen some posts from women who very much were thinking about them with a new baby because they were so painful, that's my fear.

I definitely think when I was at the gp she didn't think it was as big an issue, she could barely see it but unfortunately that was just unlucky poor timing and positioning, as it is definitely more prominent sometimes. So it's not that I didn't seek help or suffered in silence, I did, the advice just suited what she saw at the time. Like a car with an intermittent fault :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

My daughter is 8 months next week and I've been suffering with them since the labour. Im currently taking difene suppositories.
    Was taking difene and shrepricot or something before but never seems to go away properly.
    When my prescription for difene runs out I'd say ill be back with the doctor.
    Can definitely relate :-(

The difene definitely stops the pain for me and shrinks it but still there. Although my doctor said take them for longer this time so hoping this will have me sorted.
    Think ill just have the get the cream people are on about if no change
    A lot of the time they'll go away on their own too without any treatment apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

My wife has 3 piles. I'm not use if she got them before our first child or not. But she definitely had them when pregnant with the second.

She had no issues during Labour.

I'd relax. Unless there getting bigger you shouldn't have any issues.

Ahhh. The joys of pregnancy! Had piles each pregnancy, but they did ease with time and a little help from creams and suppositories. It is also important to up the roughage and liquid intake during pregnancy, as to do so after the birth might lead to excessive nappy changes for baba, if breastfeeding!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

*Obviously tmi given the title!*

Apologies if this is in the wrong place but I don't know where else to post it, mods please move if necessary. I hope it doesn't verge into asking for medical advice, I'm more looking for people's own experiences and don't have anywhere to turn.

Can't be bothered going unregistered. Just over a year after having my first baby I've discovered I have very minor piles as a result of pregnancy, I had a very small bump and so had immense abdominal pressure with so little space. I have never had any pain or anything, but can just recently feel one of them. Gp says they're very minor and certainly shouldn't deter me from more pregnancies, that while they might flare up they are very treatable.

Considering I didn't even notice it for a whole year I think the fact that I can feel one now must be at least partly psychological. I'm an absolute mess at the thoughts of any future pregnancies making them worse, I've read horror stories about the pain they leave people in. We definitely want more children but to be honest I wouldn't cope well with a life long niggling pain (even this intermittent sensation is really upsetting me) and am currently so terrified of the prospect that I've decided I can't possibly risk it and am devastated at the idea of no more children.

This is long, sorry. Has anyone any positive words or stories of making it through future pregnancies and never having piles get worse, or at least having them not be left permanently painful? Or having them treated successfully? I'm not looking for specific "I had X treatment at Y place", just any possible positive info about good outcomes. Please.

Like you I had a small bump but a relatively big baby (considering she was 4 weeks early and weighed in at 3.2kg). I thought I'd gotten away with the piles issue during pregnancy and then one day when I was having a shower (only a day or two after giving birth) I felt one:eek: I was shocked and horrified and looking back on it now I wonder why. :o
    It was a tiny little one, the nurses were most amused at my horror, gave me an ointment for it and in a few weeks it was gone.
    I'm 33 weeks pregnant now with my second baby and again seem really small despite the fact that the baby is in the 95th percentile for size and stuff and have had no issues at all.
    This time I am mentally prepared for the fact that they are probably there already, I've just been lucky enough to have no issues with them so far, one or two may pop out as a result of delivering the baby and if they do I'm just hoping its as easy a solution as the last time.
    In between pregnancies I had no issues at all.

Penny Dreadful similarly my son was 3 weeks early and 3.4kg, and my bump was still going unnoticed 3-4 weeks before that! The pressure and lack of space was horrible...clearly everywhere! Thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

I got it dreadfully about 3 weeks before I delivered my daughter (talk about awful timing!) and it caused no problems during or after delivery. My GP prescribed Sheriproct and I was dubious about how a cream could work when I was so bad that I was constantly losing little bits of blood at that stage, but I used it anyway and within 2 days the improvement was immense!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Spottybananas the Scheripot cream & suppository is a steroid and will shrink a protruding pile. I was prescribed it after a long vaginal labour on my 1st baby for exactly that. All that downward pushing obviously causes them. My 2nd baby required very little pushing so I won't have an issue with piles caused by labour this time so bear that in mind as well, less pushing on the 2nd (and 3rd....etc).
    Yeah they are not nice but they are treatable

• Advertisement

Thanks. I'll probably have no pushing or labour as will likely have a scheduled c section for medical reasons so at least that might help.

Advertisement