Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone Know anything about Solar Panels?

Options
  • 20-04-2016 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Anyone here have any information on solar panels?

Rang a few companies but none seem to be able to give a price or information without coming out to see our house?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Fergalc09 wrote: »
    Anyone here have any information on solar panels?

Rang a few companies but none seem to be able to give a price or information without coming out to see our house?

So whats wrong with them coming out to give you a price and then asking a more informed question? You should be able to get more info for each person that visits also.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

To give the OP a very rough idea:

3 grand for my new build. Tubes instead of panel.

Sister paid 4.5k for double panel and new tank in existing build.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,376 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'd be wary of any company who would give a quote without seeing the house tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Different companies, different technologies and then it depends on where they can mount the panel.

So, a visit is definitely needed.

Personally, I went with LVP Renewables. Their system provides hot water all year round, and is much better than the evacuated tube system that others use. My parents have one of those and have warm water most of the year and only hot in summer. I have hot water all year.

The system cost approx €4k. I had Activ8 also come visit and quote. They use evacuated tubes, and they priced the system at €12k.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,588 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Installing solar is a bespoke job in 99% of houses so no quote over the phone will be accurate.

What I would say is do it if you have the money.

We built in 08 and installed two flat panels and large storage tank. I think in the 8 years since have only switched on immersion maybe half dozen times since. I feel it also saves on heating costs as when oil comes on the tank of water is already hot and the heat goes straight to the rads.

In our last house we had the immersion on a timer six months of the year for an hour morning and evening and still needed an instant heat electric shower.

• Advertisement
Advertisement