Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gunnwale replacement lakeboat

• 20-04-2016 9:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I am looking at having the gunnwales replaced on a fibreglass lakeboat soon.

What type of timber should I get?
    Should it be Kiln dried?
    The boat is kept in a boat house if this makes a difference.

The current gunnwale is 1 3/4 inches wide and 2 inches high.
    The lad doing the job says he will split it himself, personally I think the saw mill would be the best place to do this, what do you think?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

If you want to go cheep douglas fir, or you could spend a bit more and use iroko,ash,teak or mahogany to name a few, I don't know the guy who is doing it but if he says he can do it maybe he can :)

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭connel42

I bought replacement gunwhale in Iroko from Sheelin Boats.
    It was ready prepared which made for an easy job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭patspost

Tks for replies.
    I might get larch, see how I get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

patspost wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I am looking at having the gunnwales replaced on a fibreglass lakeboat soon.

What type of timber should I get?
    Should it be Kiln dried?
    The boat is kept in a boat house if this makes a difference.

The current gunnwale is 1 3/4 inches wide and 2 inches high.
    The lad doing the job says he will split it himself, personally I think the saw mill would be the best place to do this, what do you think?

Thanks in advance.

MCA Boats in Newry will have Iroko gunwhales in stock and tell you how to fit them, there is a knack to this by starting at the bow and working the timber along the length of the boat to avoid it breaking. You dont want kiln dried as timber with some moisture in it will take the shape of the boat more easily.

Advertisement