Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Rates

• 20-04-2016 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm buying but undecided between going for a variable rate, 3 years fixed, or 5 years fixed.

What's your advice?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

tendjose wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm buying but undecided between going for a variable rate, 3 years fixed, or 5 years fixed.

What's your advice?

Thanks
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057585266/2/#post99446305

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭tendjose

km79 wrote: »

That thread topic is not exactly what I'm looking for, but Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

Hi,

What's your advice?

Thanks

Depending on everything below plus more.

its is such a general question the can't be answered for you. sorry
    what age,
    what income
    what mortgage company
    mortgage length
    mortgage amount
    are you single
    have you a good job
    are you planing to move jobs
    are you planing to have kinds
    and if so how many kids
    what will the mortgage rate be after the fixed term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

I'd be inclined to stick with variable for the moment or a 2 year fixed in the hope that when the two year is up that rates will still be low and perhaps then go for a 5 year fixed. Also will depend on lender as some lenders charge their existing customers a higher fixed rate than new customers.

Hi,

What's your advice?

Thanks

Its still depends on the OP original circumstances

Ulster Bank are offing fixed for 1, 3 or 5 years and then offer a high rate of var interest for the remaining of the loan 25 years plus for example.

if you are planing to have kids or your financial circumstances change you may be locked into their high rate unable to move mortgage companies for a very long time. banks think in 10 years slog in 3 and 5 years.

• Advertisement

iainBB wrote: »
    Depending on everything below plus more.

its is such a general question the can't be answered for you. sorry
    what age,
    what income
    what mortgage company
    mortgage length
    mortgage amount
    are you single
    have you a good job
    are you planing to move jobs
    are you planing to have kinds
    and if so how many kids
    what will the mortgage rate be after the fixed term.

I thought it depended only in what you predict for the market future.

If i think the rates are going to grow in the next years, go for fixed, otherwise go for variable, not?

I thought it depended only in what you predict for the market future.

If i think the rates are going to grow in the next years, go for fixed, otherwise go for variable, not?

Banks know this is a long term investment. so offering a fixed rate for VERY short amount of time, for better gains in the future is always in there interest.

Ulsterbank or offering a low fixed rate now for 1 ,3, 5 years and then offer a high var rate after that for the remaining. ( when the hope you are locked in) of course this is a gamble for them. lose out for 3 years in the hope to make tons of cash with the remaining 20 years. some people will win this. most will not and stuck with high var rate you can't get out of.

If you have kids move to one income spend more money on life style, get a car loan, change jobs, etc. then apply to change mortgage after the fixed rate you will have a much harder time.

Most people after the get the mortgage relax with their income and outgoings. and they is the main reason why they can't change mortgages companies.

If in 1,3,5 years time you will be better off i.e. more income, no kids, no loans, better savings, growing investments, assets, no debt then go for it no questions asked. you will have no problem changing to another mortgage company after the fixed term is up. remember you have to change companies after the fixed term as the the high var rate will be too high to keep paying.

if you are planning to tons of kids:), spend more on fun then savings and retirement, move jobs,, reduce hours in current job, get a new car, get a extension on the house, relax with the credit card , get on over draft, move from two incomes to one,

Be very careful you don't get locked into a mortgage you can't get out off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Hi,

What's your advice?

Thanks

Variable, because rates are on a downward trend, choose a bank that passes on variable cuts to existing customers. For example, Ulster Bank pass on cuts. KBC don't.

JTMan wrote: »
    Variable, because rates are on a downward trend, choose a bank that passes on variable cuts to existing customers. For example, Ulster Bank pass on cuts. KBC don't.

Yeah, but the variable rate of KBC is much lower than Ulster...

• Advertisement

What do you exactly mean by pass on cuts?

You mean if I'm in a LTV of 60-80% with KBC and that if at some stage I only owe 59% KBC won't apply the new rate, while Ulster will?

If you mean that, is not worth because if I'm on a LTV of 67% with KBC I'm on an APRC rate of 3.37% and the APRC rate for Ulster for a LTV of 59% is 3.6%, which is still much bigger than 3.37%.

If you mean other thing by passing on cuts, can you explain?

KBC still has a best APRC than AIB for variable rates, and the APRC is what matters.

And if at some stage if find a better deal elsewhere than KBC, just move your mortgage to the bank that offer you the better deal. Assuming you are in positive equity, all Banks will accept your move.

About to make a move now and contact my own bank first before moving currently on 3.9 %with about 60 LTV.

And if at some stage if find a better deal elsewhere than KBC, just move your mortgage to the bank that offer you the better deal. Assuming you are in positive equity, all Banks will accept your move.

How much positive equity would we need ?
    We have been trapped with ulster bank and their high variable rates for 9 years now
    We should JUST be out of NE I think at this stage but will any bank give a switcher mortgage for greater than 90% LTV ?

km79 wrote: »
    How much positive equity would we need ?
    We have been trapped with ulster bank and their high variable rates for 9 years now
    We should JUST be out of NE I think at this stage but will any bank give a switcher mortgage for greater than 90% LTV ?

I think you need to owe less than 80% the current value of your property.

Just go to some banks and ask them to make sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Anyone else notice that KBC hasn't reduced their standard variable rate in all of this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

There's a huge amount of customers still in negative equity throughout the country so KBC are offering the attractive rates to new customers and switcher's at less than 80% loan to value. Why are they not reducing their variable rate to all customers.
    Anyone else notice that KBC hasn't reduced their standard variable rate in all of this?

Trish56 wrote: »
    There's a huge amount of customers still in negative equity throughout the country so KBC are offering the attractive rates to new customers and switcher's at less than 80% loan to value. Why are they not reducing their variable rate to all customers.

The deal are under the table now on an individual basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I'm on their SVR and it is borderline worth it to move (I'm overpaying) so it would be nice if they did the fair thing and decreased them along the with the rest of the rates. But I know there are a lot of people a lot worse off than I am who are getting screwed, especially since KBC will not let you move from the SVR to their cheaper LTV rates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

The deal are under the table now on an individual basis.

Are you sure of this? I asked about my rate before I started the switching process. I got politely told to shag off.

Are you sure of this? I asked about my rate before I started the switching process. I got politely told to shag off.

I am with ICS not KBC i was speaking in more general term's. I am sure with ICS and my mate got a deal with AIB. Can't say anything about other lenders.

I am with ICS not KBC i was speaking in more general term's. I am sure with ICS and my mate got a deal with AIB. Can't say anything about other lenders.

Well with KBC they don't negotiate :D

Well with KBC they don't negotiate :D

I am negotiating with ICS again at the moment. And if they don't play ball i will move.

It's so much easier to talk to them then move but that is the last resort. .

I am negotiating with ICS again at the moment. And if they don't play ball i will move.

I may call in to my local UB branch so but .......they will know that I'm only slightly in PE and therefore nobody will take me anyway ?

I know, I don't understand the maths.
    If I move now to an alternative bank (which I'm doing) and then look back at KBC in a few years (I might do that) and see that I can save more money by switching back I will consider it.

So the end result for KBC is that they'd lose whatever profit they'll make from my mortgage for at least 5 years, then they'll probably have an incentive to get me as a new customer which will cost them thousands and then I'll be back as a customer on their new rates.
    They'd prefer to lose me as a customer and I either never come back (most likely) or I come back to them and they lose thousands in profit and incentive and I get the deal I wanted at the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I'm moving from KBC they don't care - absolute disgrace not passing on rate reductions to existing customers.

With other banks covering legal fees it makes perfect sense, €100 per month better off - well worth a bit of hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

I'm moving from KBC they don't care - absolute disgrace not passing on rate reductions to existing customers.

With other banks covering legal fees it makes perfect sense, €100 per month better off - well worth a bit of hassle.

Banks know customers dont switch their banks. Literally a few thousand out of about 3 million bank customers switched banks for their current account last year. It is even smaller for mortgages

Why would a bank cut their SVR for thousands of customers, when most of them wouldnt switch anyway They are in the business to make money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ABC101

Article in today's S.B. Post about AIB potentially reducing rates again to gain market share.

http://personal.aib.ie/our-products/mortgages/switcher-mortgage

There are other savings like no current account fees, which while small can add up.

I am thinking of switching to AIB in the autumn, as I would like to have everything under one roof, one log in code and be able to see account balances, make transfers etc.

Two things are happening... property prices are continuing to rise steadily, this will assist those in Negative equity, and Banks are starting to get competitive by trying to gain market share in offering lower rates (with the exception of some banks of course!!).

While it is impossible to predict the future, I think interest rates set by the ECB will remain low for some time to come. Greece has not gone away, is still in crisis and is probably looking for it's 4th hair cut on debt relief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭pajoguy

We negotiated a discount of 0.4% on ours with ICS/ DILOSK last year. Down from 4.35 to 3.95. It was a discount that would be applied for the term of thr mortgage. They then tried to get me to fix at 3.5 or 3.6 for a few years and i nearly jumped but when i asked about the rate after the fixed term was up they said that i would go onto their SVR 4.8!!! I asked about my discount and they said it would end if i fixed!
    Looking into switching to AIB at this stage. Although the other half is not going back to work full time until July.

Advertisement