Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Understanding NCT results

• 20-04-2016 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Unfortunately I failed my NCT test today.

On visual inspection, both back coil springs were deemed damaged or broken. They will bring me back for suspension retest.

Can anyone explain what the suspension tests measures

my results today measured
    || Suspension Test|| Nearside || Offside || Imbalance ||
    | Rear axle | 37 Mm | 35 Mm | 5% |

So strictly speaking pushing this through again would get a pass. I would like to get it looked at anyway.

My dilemma is looking back over my previous 2 tests there doesn't seem to be much difference on the suspension score

||Year|| Suspension Test|| Nearside || Offside || Imbalance ||
    | 2014 | Rear axle | 37 Mm | 37 Mm | 0% |
    | 2015 | Rear axle | 35Mm | 33 Mm | 6% |

Is there a Mn score that would suggest you are in "bad" shape, outside the imbalance?

Now they wont even do the manual inspection?

Should I take this seriously or is it really a money making exercise?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,481 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you look at the test printout, you'll see what the maximum allowed imbalance is. I think you're within that figure anyway.
    I might be wrong, but I think the test is more of a reflection on your shocks than your springs.

Also, thanks for finally posting :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,062 ✭✭✭cletus

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057408188/1/#post94947884

I asked a similar question about a year ago. Basically I wanted to see if there was an absolute scale for Mn, that could be used to guage the star of the shocks. The three pages of replies are above, but the short answer is that the measurement would seem to be created by the manufacturer of the testing rig, and it only really checks an imbalance between any two sets of shocks, so as has been stated here before, if they're both equally shagged, its possible to pass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

You failed on two broken or damaged coil springs it doesnt matter what the suspension test results were.

You have to have the suspension retested after you replace the damaged springs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

damianca wrote: »
    Unfortunately I failed my NCT test today.

On visual inspection, both back coil springs were deemed damaged or broken.
    That means there is something wrong with your springs.
    Possibly snapped.
    They will bring me back for suspension retest.

Can anyone explain what the suspension tests measures

my results today measured
    || Suspension Test|| Nearside || Offside || Imbalance ||
    | Rear axle | 37 Mm | 35 Mm | 5% |
    That looks like a very good result, but this doesn't indicate if your springs are any good, or if the shocks are any good. It only measures imbalance, so if shock absorber on one side was much worse than on the other side, you'd failt that test.
    So strictly speaking pushing this through again would get a pass. I would like to get it looked at anyway.

My dilemma is looking back over my previous 2 tests there doesn't seem to be much difference on the suspension score

||Year|| Suspension Test|| Nearside || Offside || Imbalance ||
    | 2014 | Rear axle | 37 Mm | 37 Mm | 0% |
    | 2015 | Rear axle | 35Mm | 33 Mm | 6% |

Is there a Mn score that would suggest you are in "bad" shape, outside the imbalance?
    No.
    As above - this is only for measuring imbalance - nothing else.
    Now they wont even do the manual inspection?

Should I take this seriously or is it really a money making exercise?

They need to take your car back on testing lane, to have a look at your springs and if you fixed them - IMO only way to fix springs is to replace them.
    And they will repeat suspension test which results you've shown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The point about damaged springs is they may not seat correctly and could pop out of the shock mount under load, if they contact your tyre its insta-burst time and you really don't want that to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Advertisement