Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Article on illegal parking

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Finally, something exciting happening in Limerick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Parking without a disc in a proper space should be the least of the council's worries. There's not enough focus on the illegal and downright dangerous parking around the town.

I think there should be traffic wardens on Sundays as well. It's a complete free-for-all and makes the city look unattractive. William Street, Little William Street, O'Connell Street and Bedford Row need daily supervision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The biggest problem can not just be the fact they're stopped on William Street and left the car but it's the people sat in the drivers seat.

They'll just be asked to move. They'll lap the block and come back. I'd much prefer them.abandoned and get ticketed because that will put them off again.

Don't get me started on Thomas Street Irish school parents parking habits. I avoid the area now around those times so assume its as bad and I use loading bays. Legally that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭crusha101

If you put on your hazard lights then double parking is totally acceptable on any street in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Should just tow away any car which is just abandoned at the side of the road, some people don't care about parking fines and won't pay them but be a different story if you impound the car you'll have to pay to get your car back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Pigtownlocal

William St. is exceptionally bad for cars abandoned, especially around Dealz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

I think there should be traffic wardens on Sundays as well.

I disagree here. I love to go to town on a Sunday because it's relaxed and quiet. I don't like the idea of being on edge because of a traffic warden.

Maybe a member of the traffic corps might be more appropriate for bad/illegal parking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

I've seen triple parking on Parnell Street.

Next task.... tackling able-bodied people who park in disabled spaces. Limerick is the worst I've seen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    I disagree here. I love to go to town on a Sunday because it's relaxed and quiet. I don't like the idea of being on edge because of a traffic warden.

Maybe a member of the traffic corps might be more appropriate for bad/illegal parking.
    Town on sunday aint relaxed cars abandoned everywhere

bigpink wrote: »
    Town on sunday aint relaxed cars abandoned everywhere

Think he meant with regards to not having to pay for parking on a Sunday and being on the lookout for traffic wardens.

That's why he suggested that maybe having the traffic corp deal with Sundays for those who just abandon their cars on the side of the road on Sundays.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Traffic corps should be looking after dangerous driving.

Traffic wardens deal with bad parking.

The presence alone of a parking warden doesn't make Sunday a "pay parking" day. If the sign says 9am to 5.30pm Monday to Saturday, the parking warden is not going to hold legitimately parked people to ransom on a Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I think we need a better solution for parking than the on-street model. Streets clogged with parked cars are ugly and uninviting, and are a thing of the past in most progressive cities.

Drove up William Street at about 3:30pm and not one car was illegaly parked. It was weird but nobody was using the right lane. Probably assume the car in front of them, when there is one, might just stop and pull the handbrake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

quick visit to city centre today and parking attendant giving out ticket to car parked in the taxi rank outside Hook and Ladder. no taxis were anywhere to be seen in the rank and he wasn't blocking any traffic. He then walked up to O'Connell St junction, looked at the 3 parks parked on William St yellow lines blocking the right hand lane and ignored them turning into O'Connell St instead :confused:

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

William St. Earlier today, I saw a car and a bus had a minor coming together. Why?
    Because some knob in a Hyundai 4x4 had blocked a part of one lane (hazards on of course), so there wasn't enough room for both car and bus to get by together. As bad as ever today I'm afraid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

New traffic wardens seem very unprofessional
    All wearing tackies with the uniform
    Also noticed they seem very friendly with taxis that are parkinh illegal chattibg instead of ticketing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

bigpink wrote: »
    New traffic wardens seem very unprofessional
    All wearing tackies with the uniform
    Also noticed they seem very friendly with taxis that are parkinh illegal chattibg instead of ticketing

They're not really tackies to be fair. Theyre more like a walking shoe. They're part of the uniform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

William St is like the apocalypse up around Dealz/Euro2 and onwards up to Upper William St. I am ashamed to see it be part of my city. I avoid that area of town like the plague. I would hate for tourists to end up there - its a sad representation of Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,277 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Wait until the one at the corner of Bedford Row/Henry Street opens. They will park every and anywhere illegally near it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

The pitch forks in this thread, comical to read.

What difference does it make if the traffic wardens wear stilettos? Does it make them perform worse at writing a ticket?

If the shoes a traffic warden wears gives your camel a third hump, you really must not have much to be bothering you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Gotta love William street parking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LspBgkt1fE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    I've seen triple parking on Parnell Street.
    I was parked legally outside Joe McKenna's a few weeks back. Came back out and got into my car to leave as a guy pulled up and double parked blocking me in. I gave a slight beep of the horn and he reacted as if I was been unreasonable for asking him to move.
    Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Next task.... tackling able-bodied people who park in disabled spaces. Limerick is the worst I've seen.
    I really think those people should be very heavily fined and possibly be forced to do a few rounds with Conor Mcgregor too.

Illegal parking in loading bays is a big problem in Limerick too and forces a lot of commercial vehicles doing deliveries to double park. It also pisses me off when vans/commercial SUVs park in loading bays for hours and more when they are not actually doing any loading/unloading.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

h3000 wrote: »
    I was parked legally outside Joe McKenna's a few weeks back. Came back out and got into my car to leave as a guy pulled up and double parked blocking me in. I gave a slight beep of the horn and he reacted as if I was been unreasonable for asking him to move.

There was probably even a space, there usually is but it involves turning your head a bit to park or something equally taxing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Every evening from about 8 there are a string of cars parked illegally on O'Callaghan Strand as the driver heads to the nearby gym. Fitness freaks who are too lazy to walk.

Thing is members get free parking in the underground. Too far to walk maybe.

Ive seen gym people use the lift in the car park as well. In saying that there's also a lot of illegal parking in the underground as well.

quick visit to city centre today and parking attendant giving out ticket to car parked in the taxi rank outside Hook and Ladder. no taxis were anywhere to be seen in the rank and he wasn't blocking any traffic. He then walked up to O'Connell St junction, looked at the 3 parks parked on William St yellow lines blocking the right hand lane and ignored them turning into O'Connell St instead :confused:

I think there are too many taxi ranks in the city and half of them aren't even being used. Don't think I've ever seen a taxi parked in that rank on Sarsfield St anytime I've passed. Same with the one around the side of the new Dunne's, everyone comes out the other side by Jack Fitzgerald and rings for a taxi instead. There's also two near the market, one is outside docks nightclub and the other outside the lone wolf which are never used except for at night time and even then people still wonder up town for something to eat and get a taxi outside Supermacs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

There was probably even a space, there usually is but it involves turning your head a bit to park or something equally taxing.

Ah now you couldn't expect him to walk 30/40 feet.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Advertisement