Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking close to Dominic St

Options
  • 21-04-2016 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭

Hi guys
    Wondering would anyone have advice, I'm starting a new job in the next month or so and its looking like a car might be required. The problem is that I live in an apt block on lower Dominick street with no parking. I was wondering what the best option would be...are there any carparks close by that would offer a monthly rate? Has anyone had similar experience ?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ring the city council and ask about parking permits.
    There is a car park on Mill Street, maybe they offer a rate until you can get a proper permit - go and check their signs.

The docks have a very reasonable monthly rate but that's a bit of a walk for you. Have a check with any private parking places close by they often offer reasonable monthly rates.

Also check daft for parking spaces to let and as above check with the council for permits. I don't know how the rules work in Galway but in Cork newer apartments aren't entitled to on-street permits think the cut of is around 2004 but there may be no such rule in Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

I don't know how the rules work in Galway but in Cork newer apartments aren't entitled to on-street permits think the cut of is around 2004 but there may be no such rule in Galway.

I know someone who bought an apartment in the Dominick Street area a number of years ago and they were told that there was no possibility of obtaining a residents permit. I believe it was a planning condition for development of the apartment scheme.

OP - the car park beside Jurys Inn might be able to offer you a monthly rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Possibly check the carpark that's part of Supervalu? Maybe they offer a way you can rent a space, failing that just park the car at the start of the prom where parking is free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

The school car park at st Mary's college offer yearly permits to anyone who will pay for one. Might let you buy a shorter term one to try it out. Car park is busy in the day but never full up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭ratracer

Try Monroe's pub, they have secured carparks nearby and may have annual spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Should have streets in the West (and many in the City Centre) designated as "Residents Only" Car Parking and not "Pay and Display". Would provide for people like the OP if this was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Should have streets in the West (and many thCity Centre) designated as "Residents Only" Car Parking and not "Pay and Display". Would provide for people like the OP if this was the case.

Where would delivery vehicles and the like park? And visitors etc?

Residents only parking is mad in places where not many residents have cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

There might be a possibility of renting a space in St Mary's College. I know they used to do a yearly permit for some of the businesses in the area to park in their carpark just inside the gate, probably still do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Where would delivery vehicles and the like park? And visitors etc?

Residents only parking is mad in places where not many residents have cars.
    THIS IS NOT FOR EVERY STREET!
    Loading bays & each resident gets 1/2 permits + visitor permit card.

• Advertisement

Let's focus on "what is" rather than "what should be" in this thread.

I used to live in the area and paid 10 euro year for on-street permit for the surrounding streets, check with council OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, is there any chance you could just leave the car at work, and use it when you are there? Won't work if the office is in a weird place, of course. But if you need the car for the course of the job, rather than getting there, then it may be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭skinny90

Hi
    Thanks for the help
    I have a tempory place to leave it but will check out all the recomdations mentioned.if anyone has other recommendations feel free to post. I have a decent place at a good price so i don't mind forking out for parking. The permit is a good idea however ideally I'd prefer secure parking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

The Cathedral carpark is only €3 or €4 for the day and you can easily cut down to Dominick Street via Nun's Island in about 2 or 3 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭skinny90

Hi all
    Just an update. I received the permit from the city council. Does that mean I can park at car parks such as the one beside the Garda station or is it just for on the street?is there a map were you can/can't park?

It will say on the permit what streets you can park on.

Advertisement