Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Dates Ireland *read first post*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

I think Robbie should have his own show. Gas :D

A complete sack , scuttered aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Love the older people on this....zero airs and graces or falseness....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

My ex was on it, was made watch it with the now wife!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Beautiful song for the end credits.

Quite emotional seeing the old couple so happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Nice to see that older couple hitting it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Something about old people love that turns me into a ball of mush!

Like when you see an elderly couple holding hands or a couple dating like this. Nothing sweeter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

TheW1zard wrote: »

And...?
    Don't just say that and not elaborate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

The auld one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Something about old people love that turns me into a ball of mush!

Like when you see an elderly couple holding hands or a couple dating like this. Nothing sweeter.

I loved watching them.
    So many people are miserable in relationships and won't leave, it doesn't matter your age, everyone deserves happiness and companionship and more.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

One of the gay lads?

• Advertisement

akelly02 wrote: »

I dunno. Language was bad alright but it seemed to stem from drinking too much.

And I imagine it being his first date since his accident contributed to it too.

They seemed to be really hitting it off early doors. So yeah I hope its a lesson for him to go easier on the drink next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Will you be sleeping in the box room tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

I dunno. Language was bad alright but it seemed to stem from drinking too much.

And I imagine it being his first date since his accident contributed to it too.

They seemed to be really hitting it off early doors. So yeah I hope its a lesson for him to go easier on the drink next time.

Think he actually seemed like a good guy earlier on, just got louder and more sweary as it went on but suspect it's just combi of nerves/drink - I think he's probably decent enough at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭Flibble

My ex, too, is on tonight. Haven't watched it yet but I've been sent screenshots by my brother laffing his ass off... Lol

And...?
    Don't just say that and not elaborate!

My girlfriend at the time now wife was sitting beside me. My mate texts me saying turn on rte!
    She says "oh were watching that!"

Was a few seasons ago now.

She came across ok i guess, though she said she wanted a white wedding, was very chatty and your man didnt get a word in!
    I dont think they went on another.

She mentioned marriage and babies to me after 3 months, which i why i ended it. I got scared!

Im happily married now, its all timing i think

One of the gay lads?

Almighty pillow biter is it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 Mr Duckling

Flibble wrote: »
    My ex, too, is on tonight. Haven't watched it yet but I've been sent screenshots by my brother laffing his ass off... Lol

It’s is the large armerican girl with the thick bottom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭andrew1977

akelly02 wrote: »

I agree , and his date was an absolute cracker in looks and personality .
    By the end of it she kept the smiles and laughs going to be polite ,but she had seen and heard enough of his mouth .

there's an ad on my local bus stop that says "with this new product, you need never pass HIV on to your partner" or words to that affect!!
    I thought the gay guy saying he had HIV on a first date was not relevant at all!!like saying, I have the cold sore virus by the way!! That said, they were a nice couple. Old couple as usual were lovely, what lives they always lead, I have loads of time for teachers of any capacity too. walking out they reminded me of the couples in cocoon heading off to space!!

Very surprised that American took the Irish guy even seriously, she would not make eye contact with him at all as she sat down and for some time after. That and her being a bit taken with mister blue suit eh!! Sorry if this is harsh, but her date was a weirdo.."An american accent in Ireland" by john landis!!
    That's what's wrong with alot of younger people today and they're rush to sound hip and transatlantic and all things central perk!! Irish accents and culture and folklore and Celtic mystique are quite unique, I just don't get it. Again, so harsh but what a makey up no brains required type of thing to say..Oh I teach imrov comedy..oh right there Louis CK, go **** in a plant pot or whatever you're having yourself!! a fooking american accent of all bleeding things!!!

yea, I think that guy with the prosthetic has some traumatic problems with having lost it 12 months prior, I wouldn't presume to judge him at all, it must be horrible...I would say the drink would not help nor serve as a social crutch either but again, tough on him and she was very calm and dignified, she held herself well I thought, well done to her.

Fookin american accent at 33 years of age!!!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I think Robbie should have his own show. Gas :D

He was totally disrespectful to his date.
    He never met that girl before, I'd hate to imagine how he'd speak to her if she was his girlfriend.
    She should have walked out on him when he started with his vile language.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I’m convinced I’m watching a different show sometimes.

The lad shouting around the restaurant calling his date a ‘dirty bitch’, telling her to **** off when she said a polite no and practically licking her face...absolute gent! Just because he happened to lose his leg.

The harmless chap who was probably nervous because he was on a first date on TV, and maybe mirrored his American date without even realising...he’s **** into a plant pot.

Fair play to the lad for admitting he’s got HIV?! Who does that?!! Nothing against him like, he seemed a sound bloke, but it’s a random decision to declare your STDs on a first date, never mind on national television. I don’t judge him for it, it must be a difficult subject to broach, but to celebrate him is a weird judgement when people then go onto slate another guy for being nervous on a televised date (which is the most human reaction of everyone on the show) and also crediting a lad who was a walking red flag just because he had a disability. Baffling...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,634 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Robbie is a sound divil

Robbie reminded me of Irish comedian Eric Lalor

I thought she was naturally stunning looking.

"It's is" and "Armerican"

I guess you type in a rush when you are being a dick.

He never met that girl before, I'd hate to imagine how he'd speak to her if she was his girlfriend.

Was he drunk or medicated?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Drunk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,000 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

During the interview when he started doing that weird thing with his tongue I thought it was more than drink in his system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

I'm enjoying this series, there seems to be more genuine people on. Not so much fake hair/nails/boobs or trout pout lips brigade.
    I initially liked Robbie but he became so annoying and vulgar. I suppose he should be given another chance as it was probably a combination of drink and nerves.
    The 'American' guy from Kildare really annoyed me. Seriously, his parents should have dragged him away from the telly when he was a young fella. The girl from Georgia was gorgeous, intelligent and funny.
    Loved, loved, loved the older couple. It was lovely to watch them and listen to them connect. Smart, intelligent, caring people with stories to tell. Much rather go for a pint with them than any of the trout lips lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Why does he have to be either?
    Maybe he's just a d*ck?

To thine own self be true

They all seem to be sharing way too much this series early on, lots of medical issues etc.,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

British version much better

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

They all seem to be sharing way too much this series early on, lots of medical issues etc.,

Exactly.
    I don’t go around tellin strangers about my premature ejaculation.

Yes! If someone even mentions their ex on a first date with me, alarm bells start ringing. These will start regaling each other with stories of past heartbreak or unleashing all of their medical history before the main is even served.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

This! I don't care how drunk he was or nervous, you don't say "While your down there...." and call somebody you've just met a dirty bitch on a first date. To me it sounded like she was only there to look after his needs. He came across as a misogynist in my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

This! I don't care how drunk he was or nervous, you don't say "While your down there...." and call somebody you've just met a dirty bitch on a first date. To me it sounded like she was only there to look after his needs. He came across as a misogynist in my view.

This , and who takes of their false leg in the middle of a busy restaurant anyway ! There is a time and a place for everything in my opinion

Yeah, Jesus..yer man with(out) the leg was fair bad.. although starting with the whiskey was never going to end well..his date was nice too..
    The two gay lads were grand too..

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    This , and who takes of their false leg in the middle of a busy restaurant anyway ! There is a time and a place for everything in my opinion

See I didn’t mind that so much. It’s his first date since he lost it, he wants to own it and be out straight up front, and she did ask. Plus if you’re on a date, it doesn’t really matter what anyone else thinks if you and your date are having fun and not harming anyone else. But the rest is pretty egregious. She actually stopped and asked him to stop cursing at her and he kept going.

It was really good TV though, I have to say. You’re totally on side with him at the start because of the bad stuff he’s been through, they subtly kept in the bit about him saying he needs Dutch courage, then it totally flips on its head. A refreshing ‘just because someone has a legitimate sob story doesn’t mean they’re perfect’ story. She ended up being the one who came away looking great because of how politely she handled it, being respectful while still sticking up for herself. It was a fairly merciless edit on him and, having worked in production, made me wonder if he had got on the wrong side of the programme makers during it. They could’ve easily re-shot the bit where his eyes were rolling out of his head but kept it in.

The American girl is lovely too..

leggo wrote: »
    I’m convinced I’m watching a different show sometimes.

The lad shouting around the restaurant calling his date a ‘dirty bitch’, telling her to **** off when she said a polite no and practically licking her face...absolute gent! Just because he happened to lose his leg.

The harmless chap who was probably nervous because he was on a first date on TV, and maybe mirrored his American date without even realising...he’s **** into a plant pot.

Fair play to the lad for admitting he’s got HIV?! Who does that?!! Nothing against him like, he seemed a sound bloke, but it’s a random decision to declare your STDs on a first date, never mind on national television. I don’t judge him for it, it must be a difficult subject to broach, but to celebrate him is a weird judgement when people then go onto slate another guy for being nervous on a televised date (which is the most human reaction of everyone on the show) and also crediting a lad who was a walking red flag just because he had a disability. Baffling...

To be fair nobody slated the comedian lad. His confession that he manufactured his American accent, was the galling thing of it that's all. The **** into plants was a joke as he's an aspiring comedian with a pretend American accent, living in Ireland! I'd expect that from a confused teenager, not a man whose next milestone is 40 years old! he wasn't mirroring anything out of nerves, it was there from the time he walked in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

leggo wrote: »
    See I didn’t mind that so much. It’s his first date since he lost it, he wants to own it and be out straight up front, and she did ask. Plus if you’re on a date, it doesn’t really matter what anyone else thinks if you and your date are having fun and not harming anyone else. But the rest is pretty egregious. She actually stopped and asked him to stop cursing at her and he kept going.

It was really good TV though, I have to say. You’re totally on side with him at the start because of the bad stuff he’s been through, they subtly kept in the bit about him saying he needs Dutch courage, then it totally flips on its head. A refreshing ‘just because someone has a legitimate sob story doesn’t mean they’re perfect’ story. She ended up being the one who came away looking great because of how politely she handled it, being respectful while still sticking up for herself. It was a fairly merciless edit on him and, having worked in production, made me wonder if he had got on the wrong side of the programme makers during it. They could’ve easily re-shot the bit where his eyes were rolling out of his head but kept it in.

I just think there is a time and place for taking off your false leg ! Its a public restaurant and I wouldn’t take off my shoes or pop out a false eye !! It was a first date , it seemed unnecessary for me

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 Mr Duckling

"It's is" and "Armerican"

I guess you type in a rush when you are being a dick.

English is not my mother language and where i am from heavy buttocksess are an attraction in a girl to correct your attitude to me !!

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I just think there is a time and place for taking off your false leg ! Its a public restaurant and I wouldn’t take off my shoes or pop out a false eye !! It was a first date , it seemed unnecessary for me

In fairness, she was probably relieved he wasn't standing on the table swinging it around his head at that stage..

He's probably mortified today..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Robbie reminded me of Irish comedian Eric Lalor

who is as funny as losing a limb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I work on a building site with some of the crudest, roughest bastards you'd ever be likely to come across and hear plenty of commentary that would make your skin crawl but I genuinely don't think too many of them would go to a nice restaurant on a blind date and proceed to call their date a dirty bitch, tell her to **** off away from his cake or suggest a blow job in full view and earshot of all the other diners. He may have had a few drinks but he can't use that excuse for being absolutely devoid of any class. I don't think he was a character, I think he was a gob****e

I'd say he had some dose of the fear the morning after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

During the application process you are asked to say something interesting about yourself, what makes you different. Before the date the producer will request that you bring this up.

I have just watched the episode with the amputee. It started off nice and there was a nice moment with the maitre d when he said his father was born without a hand. But then went downhill. Mateo’s face when he said he wanted a whiskey was priceless. He pleaded with his eyes for him not to.

When his date arrived the first thing he said was ‘did they tell you about me’. Now I’m all for being upfront and not hiding anything etc. But my god find out have a chat first.

I learned nothing about her and everything was about him. She came across really nice and looked stunning. He made an incorrect snap judgment that she would be like bawdy behaviour and react well to lewd banter. He was oblivious to how uncomfortable it made her and even when she asked him to stop cursing he persisted. He said anyone else would have been disgusted with his carry on but because it was her he felt she liked it.

There is nothing wrong with a bit of cheekiness on a date in the right circumstances. But never crudeness. Calling someone a d1rty b1tch at any time is bizarre but on a first date is bordering moronic.

I don’t think it was even a decision that she’d be into that, I think he just took her politeness and not stopping him as a go-ahead. The way he describes it this seems to be feedback he gets regularly because that’s who he is, but he thought she was grand with it and he’d met his match. But you’d be aiming pretty low to find someone who’d be fine with what she had to put up with in public, she’s gorgeous and has a lot going on, she never would’ve. I’d say he thought she went outside to have a bit of a smooch, she probably went outside just so other people there wouldn’t hear how he was going on.

It’d be an interesting insight for some but the problem is the type of people that carry on this way are unlikely to be introspective enough to learn from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Fairly clear Robbie was on the bag- lad was prob a bag of nerves and still suffering PTSD from losing the leg.
    Doesn’t excuse his behaviour though and he may need some serious help as it’s a tough road he has been down- but his carry on was poor form.
    Thought his date was a bit of a lasher aswell to be fair so he messed that up.

Old man was lovely while the older lady seemed a bit stand offish- happy they got along tho as I cab only imagine life is tough at that age.

The 2 guys seemed like nice lads and both good lookingA glad they got along while one of my main pet hates us Irish people will faux American accents so that has completely clouded my judgement of the other couple.

Your from Kildare, your accent is put on- why are you proceeding with this? Especially when he knew it and tried to pin it as a badge of honour- glad to see the barman giving him odd looks for it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

Your from Kildare, your accent is put on- why are you proceeding with this? Especially when he knew it and tried to pin it as a badge of honour- glad to see the barman giving him odd looks for it

That comedian was odd! :o. Like why? He wasn’t even funny..

• Advertisement

Edward has all the personality of Stephen Cluxton

Advertisement