Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Dates Ireland *read first post*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Can someone explain the difference between pansexual and bisexual because to my old fashioned mind they're the exact same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Can someone explain the difference between pansexual and bisexual because to my old fashioned mind they're the exact same thing.

I think it includes being attracted to 'trans'/'gender fluid' people also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Pansexual means attracted to the personality, the sex doesn't come into consideration. Bisexual means they find both physically attractive. It's splitting hairs in a way but that's what it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Yeah, my understanding would be it’s completely unrelated to gender or physical attraction. Whereas bisexuality refers specifically to male and female, ‘bi’ means two and so on. I can’t claim to understand it fully but who is it harming if people wish to define their attraction tendencies that way? People don’t get up in arms when someone says they need to be physically attracted to a person of a specific gender, but flip that and it drives people insane. Maybe it’s just an aversion to having a prefix before the word ‘-sexual’, or maybe people just want to be angry/judgemental about anything in general and this is a new subject that ticks that box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Pansexual means attracted to the personality, the sex doesn't come into consideration. Bisexual means they find both physically attractive. It's splitting hairs in a way but that's what it is

So they're both the same but it's people trying to be unique by saying they're pansexual?

So they're both the same but it's people trying to be unique by saying they're pansexual?

Bi- as a prefix means two, see bi-annual etc. Bisexual covers attraction to cis men and women. That’s two. Most potential partners prefer to know the sexuality of the people they’re dating, you more than likely do yourself (if you’re a straight man dating a woman and you were the first man she’d ever dated, you may consider that relevant and feel misled if they kept this from you).

So if you were to say you were bi but also dated trans people or generally had no particular preference towards any person based on gender (whereas bi people often lean more in one direction), you wouldn’t be disclosing the full picture. Saying that one word, which a lot of LGBTQ+ people would understand, is way simpler than having to explain the entire concept of sexuality like I just had to wouldn’t it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

leggo wrote: »
    Bi- as a prefix means two, see bi-annual etc. Bisexual covers attraction to cis men and women. That’s two. Most potential partners prefer to know the sexuality of the people they’re dating, you more than likely do yourself (if you’re a straight man dating a woman and you were the first man she’d ever dated, you may consider that relevant and feel misled if they kept this from you).

So if you were to say you were bi but also dated trans people or generally had no particular preference towards any person based on gender (whereas bi people often lean more in one direction), you wouldn’t be disclosing the full picture. Saying that one word, which a lot of LGBTQ+ people would understand, is way simpler than having to explain the entire concept of sexuality like I just had to wouldn’t it?

It all depends on your whole view of a lot of this stuff though as well.

Anyway, it's probably one for another thread/forum than this one to be fair.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    It all depends on your whole view of a lot of this stuff though as well.

Anyway, it's probably one for another thread/forum than this one to be fair.

What a load of complete and utter bulls*it this thread has descended into so suddenly. Wildly off topic to a subject that most of the senible world has no interest in, and not a mod to be seen. Total garbage

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What a load of complete and utter bulls*it this thread has descended into so suddenly. Wildly off topic to a subject that most of the senible world has no interest in, and not a mod to be seen. Total garbage

Hi. I'm a mod. Please state the nature of the medical emergency.

Uh huh.

So. This is a thread about a show that intentionally features the patchwork quilt of modern Ireland's romantic culture. For better or worse, romance & sexuality is a more complex, nuanced place than even 10 years ago, and often First Dates tries to reflect that. While I've not watched the show in a while, it's a legitimate perspective to take - and so legitimate fodder to talk of the content, and the context of said content.

Pansexuality feels ... wishy-washy to me, but live & let live, love is love. The people on the show often seem positive, happy people taking a chance. Often padded out with casting agency detritus for sure, but in the main it's a fascinating look at modern Ireland.

Officially? All I would say is that if people want to discuss the merits or complexities of modern sexuality, it's done civilly and respectful of each others' views. Be it supportive of said complexity, or sceptical. Not going to break out the cards now, but would ask people remember to debate in good faith.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Hi. I'm a mod. Please state the nature of the medical emergency.

Uh huh.

So. This is a thread about a show that intentionally features the patchwork quilt of modern Ireland's romantic culture. For better or worse, romance & sexuality is a more complex, nuanced place than even 10 years ago, and often First Dates tries to reflect that. While I've not watched the show in a while, it's a legitimate perspective to take - and so legitimate fodder to talk of the content, and the context of said content.

Pansexuality feels ... wishy-washy to me, but live & let live, love is love. The people on the show often seem positive, happy people taking a chance. Often padded out with casting agency detritus for sure, but in the main it's a fascinating look at modern Ireland.

Officially? All I would say is that if people want to discuss the merits or complexities of modern sexuality, it's done civilly and respectful of each others' views. Be it supportive of said complexity, or sceptical. Not going to break out the cards now, but would ask people remember to debate in good faith.[/B]

And not in another thread where others dont have to wade through crap before we get back to topic...the actual show?

And not in another thread where others dont have to wade through crap before we get back to topic...the actual show?

When people talk about how disabled people won’t find many people who’ll accept their disability, or how pansexual people are ‘just looking for attention’, or whatever their issues are with TS people...that’s just as off-topic as the counterpoints offered. If you want the freedom to share your comment, don’t throw a hissy fit and start calling for mods when others comment on your comments. A mod has acknowledged your thoughts and given a fair reply, get over it tbh.

When people talk about how disabled people won’t find many people who’ll accept their disability, or how pansexual people are ‘just looking for attention’, or whatever their issues are with TS people...that’s just as off-topic as the counterpoints offered. If you want the freedom to share your comment, don’t throw a hissy fit and start calling for mods when others comment on your comments. A mod has acknowledged your thoughts and given a fair reply, get over it tbh.

Are you still on about that??? Christ that is so sad :D Get over it yourself

How was i off topic with that exactly when i was commenting on the date itself??? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Barna77 wrote: »
    Only got to watch the last two episodes now.

If the Manchester guy and Larry ever changed teams I'd be looking for either of them :D

Something I don't like about the show is all the waffle at the start before the actual dates. Mateo and co talking about love and being in love and what not.

I think this season is very poor. Looks alike they are struggling to get people on the show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

When people talk about how disabled people won’t find many people who’ll accept their disability, or how pansexual people are ‘just looking for attention’, or whatever their issues are with TS people...

First off I have absolutely no idea what TS stands for, maybe transsexual at a guess, but I'll survive.

It's all about delivery Leggo, she dropped the term in and then fell over herself in excitement trying to explain it. While the terms maybe new as language evolves over time, the action is far from new, it's talked about in the bible ffs!

I also think it's pretty sad that someone sees their sexuality as the most interesting talking point of their life (I do get that in this type of show it will be talked about). I include everyone in this, from the dude who swaggers in, as if his balls are two big for the space between his legs (just makes me think their having a herpes flare up) boasting about all the buurds he's sh*gged in magaluf. To the person leading an "alternative" (for want of a better phrase, I'm positive there's a better term) lifestyle that's really not that "alternative".

It's also about context, I thought I was making a comment, in a light hearted way, in a light hearted thread about a light hearted TV show but it appears I stumbled into the sex and sexuality forum with a dash of personal issues.

I also think it's pretty sad that someone sees their sexuality as the most interesting talking point of their life

This..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

First off I have absolutely no idea what TS stands for, maybe transsexual at a guess, but I'll survive.

It's all about delivery Leggo, she dropped the term in and then fell over herself in excitement trying to explain it. While the terms maybe new as language evolves over time, the action is far from new, it's talked about in the bible ffs!

I also think it's pretty sad that someone sees their sexuality as the most interesting talking point of their life (I do get that in this type of show it will be talked about). I include everyone in this, from the dude who swaggers in, as if his balls are two big for the space between his legs (just makes me think their having a herpes flare up) boasting about all the buurds he's sh*gged in magaluf. To the person leading an "alternative" (for want of a better phrase, I'm positive there's a better term) lifestyle that's really not that "alternative".

It's also about context, I thought I was making a comment, in a light hearted way, in a light hearted thread about a light hearted TV show but it appears I stumbled into the sex and sexuality forum with a dash of personal issues.

I know where you are coming from. But I honestly believe editing is the issue. Let’s say the date lasts an hour, and they spend 2-3 minutes talking about something. But this is what we see so looks like it’s the only thing they can talk about. Also production staff tell them to bring it up. Same (I am presuming) as the guy who called his mum at the table or the guy who immediately brought up that he lost a leg in an accident. I was chosen for last season, and the day before received a message to wear a short sleeved T-shirt because I have tattoos which wouldn’t be expected for my job and to talk about them. It was clear that was how it would be edited and I couldn’t think of anything more boring to talk about. So I wouldn’t be too harsh on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

joeguevara wrote: »
    I know where you are coming from. But I honestly believe editing is the issue. Let’s say the date lasts an hour, and they spend 2-3 minutes talking about something. But this is what we see so looks like it’s the only thing they can talk about. Also production staff tell them to bring it up. Same (I am presuming) as the guy who called his mum at the table or the guy who immediately brought up that he lost a leg in an accident. I was chosen for last season, and the day before received a message to wear a short sleeved T-shirt because I have tattoos which wouldn’t be expected for my job and to talk about them. It was clear that was how it would be edited and I couldn’t think of anything more boring to talk about. So I wouldn’t be too harsh on them.

100% agree, the same with love Island, I'm a celebrity etc.

But then devils advocate here, what's shown is what the producers feel is the most interesting thing about the person. It's the same with the sob stories, jesus if you brought half of them up on a real first date, your date would suddenly be receiving an "emergency" phone call... Sharp exit stage left.

We're all aware of this, which is why I wouldn't be getting too worked up about comments on the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

100% agree, the same with love Island, I'm a celebrity etc.

But then devils advocate here, what's shown is what the producers feel is the most interesting thing about the person. It's the same with the sob stories, jesus if you brought half of them up on a real first date, your date would suddenly be receiving an "emergency" phone call... Sharp exit stage left.

We're all aware of this, which is why I wouldn't be getting too worked up about comments on the thread.

If someone is being a d1ck or a sleaze or crude (thinking of the guy who said ‘while your down there’) they deserve to be called out and have no sympathy if they receive negative comments. But belittling a person’s sexuality, personalising them is different.

Also, what the producers feel is most interesting may not be what their date finds most interesting. But some of the stuff brought up is bizarre. I’d never talk about an ex, or a serious illness or childhood heartbreak up on a first date. But it is topic de jour on this season. Getting a bit like Xfactor where unless you have a heartbreaking background, then you’re at nothing. I find the endearing dates where they just get on much better to watch. People breaking down because the love of their life died isn’t my cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

pixelburp wrote: »
    but in the main it's a fascinatinglook at modern Ireland.

Playing fast and loose with the word ‘fascinating’ there. It’s slipping for the most part into Jeremy Kyle freak show stuff, granted we all have problems but seems every single one of their participants is currently in the throws of some mental health issue or has recovered from one, or has suffered some major trauma.
    Officially? All I would say is that if people want to discuss the merits or complexities of modern sexuality, it's done civilly and respectful of each others' views. Be it supportive of said complexity, or sceptical. Not going to break out the cards now, but would ask people remember to debate in good faith.

In fairness I think the point of the reply was that heading into a debtate on different types of sexuality, of which there is an abundance of shįte (see here https://www.healthline.com/health/different-types-of-sexuality )  could result in a thread going ‘off topic’ which mods like yourself regularly try and remind posters to stay on very often.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Playing fast and loose with the word ‘fascinating’ there. It’s slipping for the most part into Jeremy Kyle freak show stuff, granted we all have problems but seems every single one of their participants is currently in the throws of some mental health issue or has recovered from one, or has suffered some major trauma.

It's descending into a Jeremy Kyle style freak show because a few of the contestants have alluded to having some past/present mental health issues. Classy :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

It's descending into a Jeremy Kyle style freak show because a few of the contestants have alluded to having some past/present mental health issues. Classy :cool:

I didn’t think spelling it out was necessary but I will do it for you, the producers of the show are exploiting some very vulnerable people. I don’t think this is right.

The ‘classy/stay classy’ end responses were old about 2 years ago.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I didn’t think spelling it out was necessary but I will do it for you, the producers of the show are exploiting some very vulnerable people. I don’t think this is right.

The ‘classy/stay classy’ end responses were old about 2 years ago.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,425 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I dont think Emer's too keen on yer man there

The stood up girl is kind of hot..

Yer man wearing no socks..
    Hopefully the Corona virus will put an end to that sort of carry on..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,715 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Cancer and clinical depression..

Waiting for credits to roll and seeing executive producer, Ryan Tubridy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Still Ill

They're really overdoing the sad backstories this series. While I do feel sorry for them, it's so prominent it's become very grating. Every date you're just waiting for them to unveil their past bereavements or illnesses.

He looks like the barman's little brother..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭pgj2015

bit of an age gap here.

Funny fact..

Pseud..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,628 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The lesbos look like sisters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

How common, who throws food in a restaurant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭4Ad

Funny fact..

Pseud..

Yawn...i'm so clever !!!

Kids.

the nerds will deffo have a sob story. badly bullied in school I will guess.

walshb wrote: »
    Cancer and clinical depression..

Waiting for credits to roll and seeing executive producer, Ryan Tubridy!
    Still Ill wrote: »
    They're really overdoing the sad backstories this series. While I do feel sorry for them, it's so prominent it's become very grating. Every date you're just waiting for them to unveil their past bereavements or illnesses.

I wonder was cancer or some illness a pre requisite for this current series, so many

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Blonde girl who threw the bread spent the entire date staring at the cameras and scowling with a "why am I not the focus tonight" look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

she is fcuking gorgeous

Yeah, she's kind of hot..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

She is lovely, he is nice.
    Hope they meet again, as opposed to losing each other's numbers or emigrating or dying the next day or something

I thought he seemed a bit dim..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Your mans jeans are way to tight. Can’t even walk

I like the physicist too..She seems nice..

id be wary of dating someone from the worst town in Ireland. Hi Niamh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Billy Niamh = head wrecker.... other one is nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

The two girls on the date are painful...all they did is talk about riding and then when one decided she didn’t want to ride the other,the whole thing was called off.....an annoying pair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Glad they said yes,seem to get on well.

• Advertisement

I knew I recognised Edwin, from Republic Of Telly and Bridget and Eamon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I knew I recognised Edwin, from Republic Of Telly and Bridget and Eamon

yeah that's him ,wonder if she knew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

The blonde waitress seemed pi*sed off by that.

To thine own self be true

ted1 wrote: »
    Your mans jeans are way to tight. Can’t even walk

Mark reminded me of Boyzone mix of Shane and Keith, a former boyband member :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Bit of a bore of an episode, was that the last of the series?

• Advertisement
Advertisement