Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Dates Ireland *read first post*

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

"Not yet a woman" :pac: :pac: :pac:

05d.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

pgj2015 wrote: »
    it was a bit out of order the fat one telling him last year to get his teeth sorted out on national tv, she just met him in fairness. none of her business, imagine going out with her.

Yeah I said the same the other night, scolding him like a child. She wasn't exactly princess charming herself, either in looks or on the weighing scales. She was in no position to abuse him like that.

I felt sorry for him, he was obviously very nervous. I can honestly say, I reckon I could freeze totally on that show too with the nerves.

He seems like a quiet man if a bit simple, all yer wan had to do was say "We'll meet again as friends". Just because you have had a tough life, doesn't mean you should just trample all over him and humiliate him in the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I find this thread fascinating yet mental at times. I’ve met some lads who are just allergic to the concept of rejection, like even just hearing of someone they don’t know getting rejected sends them off on a deeply personal rant about someone else they don’t know regardless of merit because they’ve obviously got their own issues with that, and it’s the only thing I can think of as any kind of explanation for some of the comments I see here.

Do people know how TV is made like? You don’t have to have years of experience in the industry like, you can watch this show and see it for yourself. They ask them questions that force them to give reactions. If they know there’s more to it, they’ll ask a deeper question so everyone can’t get away with saying “no spark” as a cop out because that’s bad TV and everyone here would moan if they did. They can manipulate and even edit a scenario to make it look as they need, so one party looks sympathetic and the other looks like a villain because you need that to get the most emotive response from the viewer, even if that’s not how the actual interaction played out in real time.

I felt bad for the nervous lad too. But also it’s easy for me to do so because he was only in my life for a few minutes. In the real world, it’s painful to be on a date with someone falling over themselves. You feel bad and try help them for an hour, maybe two, and then you’re eventually like “ah here, this is my life too, you’re a grown adult and it’s not my job to babysit you.” Then you just lose all hope of anything productive coming of the night and have to let go of any hopes you had. His date probably spent months looking forward to First Dates, had all of her mates on standby for updates, spent a couple hundred quid on outfits, make-up etc, and genuinely wanted to meet someone. What she got was a lad who could barely get a sentence out. She tried to be nice and help him along but he didn’t help himself either. And, even in the comments, she was likely told to be honest, and she probably thought she was helping him with feedback he NEEDS to hear if he wants to meet someone. This is the second time now a First Dates date has gone tits up for him with stuff he could’ve worked on beforehand and nobody has pulled him aside beforehand either time, so it’s possible he just doesn’t have good advice coming in or isn’t listening. I had zero issues with how she handled it because I could see myself, and a lot of others, doing the exact same thing in her shoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

That's all true leggo but I think if she is peed off with him because it didn't work out, she needs to understand the whole concept of going on a blind date on a TV show. There is always a chance that it'll be a waste of time and she could have just said "maybe as friends" instead of trampling all over the poor man's feelings
    . He looked like he was a nervous wreck on the show so who knows what his general mental health situation is

Disagree. Last time he was on the show, his date agreed that he needed to get his teeth fixed. He did and was much happier then came back. It feels ‘mean’ to give people real feedback, and I think Irish people in particular are mortified by the idea of direct communication, but you’re actually helping them more by giving them something they can work with. That flowery “you’re a lovely lad and you’ll make someone happy but not for me” language makes this chap feel better for a second but doesn’t help him when there’s something very clear we can all see he needs to work on. All it does is protect the person giving the feedback from an awkward conversation.

If she was malicious with it I’d agree, but she wasn’t. He wants to find love, he needs to hear this stuff and deal with it. It’s uncomfortable that it happened on TV but if he didn’t apply and go through all the steps to get there it wouldn’t have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Yeah, I think the woman he had on the last date did the best thing for him; told him straight out what he knew. She's probably well aware that she's no picture herself, but I think she meant it well and sometimes good hard advice is better than beating around the bush and being nice.

His date this year was disappointed with him the moment she walked in the door, you can see it in her face the moment she sees him on the stool. He was difficult, she made an effort and was given a guy who had difficulty holding a conversation, so she probably felt the evening was a waste of time as was getting ready for it. She could have dropped him with a bit more subtlety though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

The woman from last year told him on TV for the whole country to see. she just met him as well, she had no right to do what she did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The woman from last year told him on TV for the whole country to see. she just met him as well, she had no right to do what she did.

she didn't tell him anything he didnt know.

she didn't tell him anything he didnt know.

TV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Up to the editor to leave it in or out. She was fine in telling him IMO. It also worked and he's a lot better for it. He said so himself.

just watched it again there, she comes in, shows her disappointment straight away, then is either very nervous herself or just so disappointed that she doesnt even try to strike up some conversation.

TV

A TV show he applied to and went through several stages of auditions to be on.

KevRossi wrote: »
    Up to the editor to leave it in or out. She was fine in telling him IMO. It also worked and he's a lot better for it. He said so himself.

what if he had pointed out to her that she was too obese and needed to go on a diet? would that have been ok in your opinion?

leggo wrote: »
    A TV show he applied to and went through several stages of auditions to be on.

This is about whether she was right to call him out on TV over his teeth.

just watched it again there, she comes in, shows her disappointment straight away, then is either very nervous herself or just so disappointed that she doesnt even try to strike up some conversation.

she was the only one who did make an effort to get a conversation going. Eventually she gave up but you cant blame her. He gave nothing back.

• Advertisement

what if he had pointed out to her that she was too obese and needed to go on a diet? would that have been ok in your opinion?

no because it would not have been correct. She was not obese.

no because it would not have been correct. She was not obese.

Im talking about his date from last year.

Im talking about his date from last year.

maybe she was a little fat. some people dont mind that. It wouldn't put everybody off. His teeth, on the other hand, would. No amountof sparkling wit or personality would cover for them.

maybe she was a little fat. some people dont mind that. It wouldn't put everybody off. His teeth, on the other hand, would. No amountof sparkling wit or personality would cover for them.

I get ya, as long as its something that everyone hates, you can say what ya like.

we will leave it at that.

I get ya, as long as its something that everyone hates, you can say what ya like.

we will leave it at that.

It was a blaringly obvious issue with him and it would have been ridiculous if she hadn't mentioned it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

It was a blaringly obvious issue with him and it would have been ridiculous if she hadn't mentioned it.

Not really sure if making personal insults to someone on a first date is something that would be ridiculous if not mentioned.

joeguevara wrote: »
    Not really sure if making personal insults to someone on a first date is something that would be ridiculous if not mentioned.

she didn't say it as an insult. she said it as a matter of fact.

she didn't say it as an insult. she said it as a matter of fact.

For what purpose. Doesn’t effect her.

Sorry but where was he personally insulted? He said he was going to get his teeth fixed and his date said something like “Yeah that’d be a good idea.” The second date encouraged him not to be as nervous when he’s on a date. Zero insults there, people just struggle with it because it’s true and it’s uncomfortable to see someone get real feedback. But if he’s told “ah you’re lovely, don’t change a thing” and believes it, he’s going to get no further.

For what purpose. Doesn’t effect her.

The purpose of helping him. which it did. he admitted this himself.

The purpose of helping him. which it did. he admitted this himself.

When she said it she wasn’t to know what effect it would have.

When she said it she wasn’t to know what effect it would have.

the man knew himself he had an issue. she said it to him in a non-judgemental way. I'm not seeing the issue in what she said or how she said it. It is a typical irish thing where you get chastised for stating the obvious.

the man knew himself he had an issue. she said it to him in a non-judgemental way. I'm not seeing the issue in what she said or how she said it. It is a typical irish thing where you get chastised for stating the obvious.

It is not something that you say on a first date.

It is not something that you say on a first date.

it is not like there was going to be a second.

it is not like there was going to be a second.

Exactly. She had no need to say it. But this is a case of agree to disagree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,330 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Its the season finale. I don't think there will be a season of this next year unless its shot later in the year which means it will air later next year if there is one so enjoy this episode it might be the last one for a couple of years.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

She has such a cute walk. I wonder do I look like that when I out in heels. I think I do now actually lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭4Ad

God that barman annoys me !!

Ms

Ksadanians lol I love it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

She has a good sense of humour. I like her. The other girl that came on first is nice too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

Wow she is 61. She looks great for her age.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Rebecca is a great one to talk about herself, not asking anything of the guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

She didn't specify that she works an actual job.

I say that contributed to the bout of homelessness too.

Ms

Fair play to her going through all that. Not easy. I am not sure if he is the best match for her do. Be interesting to see if he says yes.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Laura is bulling haha

Laura is bulling haha

Looks like he came straight from his restaurant too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭4Ad

She's not impressed with Indian lad, not a bit...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

AMKC wrote: »
    Fair play to her going through all that. Not easy. I am not sure if he is the best match for her do. Be interesting to see if he says yes.

he seems exactly the right match for her

Ms

Lol they though Uisce was Whiskey lol. I don't think these two at the bar are going to work out but could be wrong.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

Oh great start she tells him her Father is watching him basically lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Indian fella got some fright when she said her Dad was right behind him :D

Am I the only one that sees it?

765ebce9-1a47-44ce-851b-ac1d845678b1.jpg?width=350&height=230&mode=crop&center=

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Father Stone

Ms

He seems like a cool father all the same.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

I was right.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement