Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Dates Ireland *read first post*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

That fellas birthday and christmas have come around all at once

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Yer man Liam seems sound. Happy she said yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Liam is a gent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

"I like cuke-in like but I'm no Jamie Oliver" in thick culchies accent haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭4Ad

Delighted for Lynsey and him...lucky lad !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

had a feeling she was into bad boys, it never works with them for obvious reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

He wants to mow her lawn ,don’t ya know,where’s Dustin the Turkey,for the auld durty laugh!!!

Have you a big lawn says he :D

4Ad wrote: »

I got that totally wrong.

Still Ill wrote: »
    Bizarre!!

Felt like she was talking down to him the entire date too.

Definitely a touch of racism to it I felt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

That girl to go from being homeless to a forever home some turn around to being a homeowner

• Advertisement

Marathon Man has done well for himself.

I'm gonna apply for the next series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Definitely a touch of racism to it I felt.

He was a bit of a weirdo in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

pgj2015 wrote: »
    had a feeling she was into bad boys, it never works with them for obvious reasons.

Probably learned her lesson with them it seems and she's ready to settle.

callaway92 wrote: »
    He was a bit of a weirdo in fairness

I dunno if his jokes were any worse than your average Irish lads. Didn't find him that weird at all.

That fellas birthday and christmas have come around all at once

It depends on the way you look at it. If he's thinking long-term and wants kids he can't. She'd be getting a steady nice fella to look after her kids and if she had future poor health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I dunno if his jokes were any worse than your average Irish lads. Didn't find him that weird at all.

Definitely a touch of weirdo. Would say the same if it was an Irish guy. Bit unfair to be calling her a bit racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭obi604

callaway92 wrote: »
    Definitely a touch of weirdo. Would say the same if it was an Irish guy. Bit unfair to be calling her a bit racist.

Ah she was a ghoul in fairness.

Naggdefy wrote: »
    It depends on the way you look at it. If he's thinking long-term and wants kids he can't. She'd be getting a steady nice fella to look after her kids and if she had future poor health.

I got asked out by someone from Longford once, she also had a child and a psycho ex, she was good looking but the psycho ex made me run for the hills, been there done that.

Laura just had the square root of zero interest in yar man from the moment she clapped eyes on him.

Tis tough to being on a date with somebody you've no interest in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,330 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

4Ad wrote: »

Me too. They are a lovely couple.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

I got asked out by someone from Longford once, she also had a child and a psycho ex, she was good looking but the psycho ex made me run for the hills, been there done that.

True. 2 exs are a bit too much for me.

Aww..I like Rebecca..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

You beat me to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Laura just had the square root of zero interest in yar man from the moment she clapped eyes on him.

Tis tough to being on a date with somebody you've no interest in.

Not tough to just behave like he was her equal for a couple of hours. Think you can tell a lot about people by how they treat people in situations like that.

Her dad seemed like a nice lad though. Wasn't too keen on his date though. Felt there was something a little off with her, talking about mowing her lawn and not leaving before paying the bill. Maybe I'm being a little harsh though.

Delighted for the last couple. They were both really nice. Would be great if it works out for them.

Yeah, Lyndsey is a bit of a ride..

shes a bit like a blonde Victoria Beckham , a bit prettier too.

She looks like she is more from Stockholm than Longford :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

What a tool.

"I'll answer first because I wouldn't want him to say yes and for me to say no then."

As soon as he walks in.

"You go first" x 5 times
    Still Ill wrote: »
    Bizarre!!

Felt like she was talking down to him the entire date too.

Can’t help but think she’s been screwed in editing !

juke wrote: »

Hi Laura.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

juke wrote: »

I’d say whoever edited it definitely didn’t like her anyway, but at the same time if you don’t specifically say “I’ll answer first, I’d feel awful letting him answer when I’m not interested” then do exactly that, they can’t edit it that way. She acknowledged that something was a horrible thing to do then went out of her way to do it to someone. That alone is a big thumbs down for me.

Whole thing felt a bit casually racist tbh. I’d say the above quote was taken hypothetically before she met him, then when she saw him her attitude changed. I’d usually try see the side of the person rejecting someone but there was no need for her attitude towards him. At the very least, even if you’re not interested you’re stuck having dinner with this person, there’s nothing to be gained by not at least having a non-flirty chat and trying to make the best of it. But I got the feeling she didn’t even want to seem as equal to him or in any way interested on TV. What I’m wondering is did the producers pick up on all this beforehand and think “let’s show everyone what she’s really like”?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 whatsthecraic?

Didn't like Laura at all, way too cocky. The Dad was a gas man though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I thought dad was way too full on, talking about getting married on a first date would make most women run for their lives I reckon!
    He was a character and 70% in a good way, 30% in an OTT way.
    The daughter thought she was way too good for yer man, she could have been a bit nicer to him. There is often a reason some people are single sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The dad was good craic but yeah a bit full on.
    The daughter...had no notion of that guy...wouldn't put them together in a million years. She should have went first at the end...like she said she would...not nice.
    Liam and Lyndsey...she seemed a tad full of herself but warmed to her and he seemed like a decent sort...he was a bit overawed by how pretty she was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Watched it.

Obviously from tipp where I’m from. Honestly so badly matched. I don’t think it was her fault. He was grand but not most peoples type and it’s unfair if she didn’t find him attractive. I will have to watch it again so will withhold my opinion.

I’ll be back later. Up tipp and gwan the premier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

What a tool.

"I'll answer first because I wouldn't want him to say yes and for me to say no then."

As soon as he walks in.

"You go first" x 5 times
    And, if I recall correctly, she had a gold-plated 'easy let down' reason to say no, in that he wanted children and she didn't want more. Instead of mentioning it she goes the full 'I don't find you physically attractive' spiel, not just 'no spark'!

(Of course I don't know if at least some of the interactions/participants aren't scripted /wannabe actors...?)

Also wonder did they not fill in questionnaires re important stuff like future sprogging expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

"If you want to be part of the next series go to coco..."covid-19 anseo agaibh - ye might have to wait a while...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I think we're being a bit unfair on her (Tipp girl). She didn't find him attractive, it's difficult to sit through a date when you know there's no way out and I think she was nice to him, hard to say when it's all edited out. It's why I always pick a coffee or pint for a first date; you can drink them down and be gone if needed. I thought she was nice to him, but she should have been more insistent at the end about going first and she should have let him down a bit better.

Her father was fairly full on, but was funny, and his date liked him, pity it didn't seem to work out.

Happy that Lynsey saw there's more to men than just looking to 'tame the bad boys', her facial reaction to her date saying 'it's too late for me to have kids' is priceless, it has the full "BINGO!!!" look to it. They were actually well matched and are less than 30 mins from each other, hope it works out for them.

KevRossi wrote: »
    I think we're being a bit unfair on her (Tipp girl). She didn't find him attractive, it's difficult to sit through a date when you know there's no way out and I think she was nice to him, hard to say when it's all edited out. It's why I always pick a coffee or pint for a first date; you can drink them down and be gone if needed. I thought she was nice to him, but she should have been more insistent at the end about going first and she should have let him down a bit better.

Her father was fairly full on, but was funny, and his date liked him, pity it didn't seem to work out.

Happy that Lynsey saw there's more to men than just looking to 'tame the bad boys', her facial reaction to her date saying 'it's too late for me to have kids' is priceless, it has the full "BINGO!!!" look to it. They were actually well matched and are less than 30 mins from each other, hope it works out for them.

I thought he was only 32? strange thing for a 32 year old to say, especially a man.

I thought he was only 32? strange thing for a 32 year old to say, especially a man.

She said she couldn’t have any more kids, she was gorgeous, he said what he had to say to get over the line and will worry about the rest later. This is a Coppers Gold Card holder you’re talking about come on. :pac:

I bet any money they got those Coppers gold cards on the way in. Cheapest advertisement ever to their target audience. No way would 2 people from the midlands both have them when neither lived in Dublin, it would be just too coincidental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I bet any money they got those Coppers gold cards on the way in. Cheapest advertisement ever to their target audience. No way would 2 people from the midlands both have them when neither lived in Dublin, it would be just too coincidental.

I don’t think Coppers needs any advertising to their key demographic to be fair

• Advertisement

L-M wrote: »
    I don’t think Coppers needs any advertising to their key demographic to be fair

Maybe so.

But yet, for the price of 2 cards, they could get effectively free advertisement to another few hundred thousand people. Do you think they needed to when they got Brian Cullen to say "see you all in Coppers"? It was rammed every night of the week back then too! :)

Whether or not they need to is not the point in my view, I think these places still love to advertise. But I wouldn't claim to be an expert in marketing either!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

Before every episode, it shows clips of the show, I hate when that woman is in the bathroom and says “watch this space b****, caw caw!” Wtf is that about? I cringe every time!! :D

job seeker wrote: »
    Before every episode, it shows clips of the show, I hate when that woman is in the bathroom and says “watch this space b****, caw caw!” Wtf is that about? I cringe every time!! :D

Yeah we cringe at her too, was she even on the show after? I don't remember seeing her.

Yeah we cringe at her too, was she even on the show after? I don't remember seeing her.

Strange behaviour.. I can't recall seeing her either.. As her catch phrase is something that has become in bedded in my head..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

I thought the dad seemed like a lecherous yoke at times. Laura looked disappointed from the beginning and in fairness, the clothes on your man, the weird accent and the ear hair wasn’t very attractive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

job seeker wrote: »
    Strange behaviour.. I can't recall seeing her either.. As her catch phrase is something that has become in bedded in my head..

I'd say a good percentage of them don't make the TV.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

The other coupleas that you see in the background during the meals - are they all 'candidates' too or are they 'real' customers?

The other coupleas that you see in the background during the meals - are they all 'candidates' too or are they 'real' customers?

They have background daters too, I know a few people who did that. So everyone we’d see on camera would be on a date, they basically close off the majority of the Gibson bar/restaurant while it’s being taped. That’s how you get the randoms who you see say one funny thing, or chat to featured daters in the toilets, but never get properly focused on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I thought the dad seemed like a lecherous yoke at times. Laura looked disappointed from the beginning and in fairness, the clothes on your man, the weird accent and the ear hair wasn’t very attractive

He looked way better in the interview done before the filming

I'd say a good percentage of them don't make the TV.

Maybe it's for the best! :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement